Aidan O'Shea

Started by Hardy, August 05, 2013, 01:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

This is all a bit silly.

Hardy simply thought it was the best midfield performance he has seen in Croker. He is entitled to his opinion and it carries a bit more weight as he is a neutral.

Now it has turned into a perceived slight against Sean Cavanagh. It is understandable that Tyrone supporters want to defend Cavanagh after Brolly's Kevin Keegan moment, but that has nothing to do with this thread.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2013, 12:30:46 PM
Jesus some bit of getting carried away on here. At the minute the All Star Midfield is Cavanagh and AOS. Player of the year at this stage would probably be Jack McCaffrey. Does it really matter who is the better footballer? We'll have a fair answer when they go head to head I think but at this point it's conjecture!

Jack Mc has pace but a lot of nuance is missing from his game right now. Not in the PotY race for me, but a shoe-in for YPotY.

muppet

POTY will almost certainly come from the winners.

If (Allah be good) it happens to be a team from the West then AOS & COC are the frontrunners at the moment. But it could easily go to another depending on the next two games. O'Connor scored 0-6 v Galway, didn't play against Ros, scored 3-3 as a half-time sub against London and 3-4 against Donegal. That is 6-13 in 2.5 games. But it would be hard to see him maintain his 6 points, per half, average in the next game.

If Tyrone win it out Cavanagh would be the front-runner but a couple of big games could force others over the line.

If the Dubs win McCaffrey appears to be favourite but any of BBB, Flynn, Kilkenny. MDMcA etc could easily win.

BTW, who is the other team left. Are they any good at all?

MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PM

If (Allah be good) it happens to be a team from the West then AOS & COC are the frontrunners at the moment. But it could easily go to another depending on the next two games. O'Connor scored 0-6 v Galway, didn't play against Ros, scored 3-3 as a half-time sub against London and 3-4 against Donegal. That is 6-13 in 2.5 games. But it would be hard to see him maintain his 6 points, per half, average in the next game.

If Tyrone win it out Cavanagh would be the front-runner but a couple of big games could force others over the line.

If the Dubs win McCaffrey appears to be favourite but any of BBB, Flynn, Kilkenny. MDMcA etc could easily win.

No.

Aristo 60

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 08, 2013, 12:10:31 PM
Is the number of possessions the new stat in rage in 2013?  Never heard as much about the number of possessions certain players had as I have over the past few weeks.  Its what you do with it that counts.

Funny, I was tasked at club training last to count the possession stats and I said the exact same thing. 

easytiger95

Didn't get to see the game live and the highlights didn't really reflect the performance - and far be it from me to disagree with Hardy. But it put me in mind of one of the great "lost" performances at midfield - Ciaran Whelan v Donegal in the quarter final replay 2002. He scored 7 points from play and completely devastated a side that had really put it up to us in the drawn game and had a fairly decent forward line with Sweeney, Devenney and Roper. Whelo was absolutely class that day and i think it was one of the last really swashbuckling performances from him - 2003 and 2004 were poor years and under Pillar he was far more disciplined and tended to stay between the 45s. that day though he scored off left and right and one, in particular under the shadow of the Cusack shooting into the Hill was as good a score as I'd ever seen - racing past the wing back and hanging it up miles out. Good days.

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2013, 01:37:19 PM
Didn't get to see the game live and the highlights didn't really reflect the performance - and far be it from me to disagree with Hardy. But it put me in mind of one of the great "lost" performances at midfield - Ciaran Whelan v Donegal in the quarter final replay 2002. He scored 7 points from play and completely devastated a side that had really put it up to us in the drawn game and had a fairly decent forward line with Sweeney, Devenney and Roper. Whelo was absolutely class that day and i think it was one of the last really swashbuckling performances from him - 2003 and 2004 were poor years and under Pillar he was far more disciplined and tended to stay between the 45s. that day though he scored off left and right and one, in particular under the shadow of the Cusack shooting into the Hill was as good a score as I'd ever seen - racing past the wing back and hanging it up miles out. Good days.

Welcome back EasyTiger.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2013, 12:52:18 PM

Probably his worst year in a Dublin jersey he's been very poor!

criostlinn

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2013, 11:23:02 AM
O'Shea was good on Sunday but his performance has been grossly over-rated! Funny how he is lauded for a display which included two cynical yellow card fouls and Cavanagh is castigated for what an equally good performance with one cynical yellow card foul. O'Shea's 2nd yellow when 20 or so points ahead was silly in the extreme! I personally think Donal Vaughan had a much bigger influence on the game, especially in the first half when the game was still there to be won.

Two cynical yellow cards, you say, to Sean Cavanaghs one. Please explain this. Please enlighten me as to how you consider Aiden O'Shea's yellow cards cynical.

Poor Joe is fighting a losing battle with ye Tyrone boys if you dont know what a friggin Cynical foul is

easytiger95

Cheers Muppet - hope to be around a bit more now the work schedule suits it.

Hardy

Good man, easytiger! Now my hopes have been boosted that someday we'll get sonny back.

easytiger95

Howya Fionn/ Hardy - Jaysis Sonny is a blast from the past! It's well overdue that we get a sequel to "Out of Africa". I know, I'll mention Whelo's "fracas" with Nigel Crawford at the throw in in 2005 - that'll have him coming in off the savannah.

AZOffaly

Well Holy Jaysus!! Welcome back.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Well said easy tiger.................. He put in a solid performance in the semi against armagh with a rasper of a goal, however somewhat down hill from there on in

To think eamon fennell and eoghan o gara have celtic crosses and not him  :o

Wildweasel74

The lad Murphy out of carlow is better than the 2 of them, so that put that argument to rest