Least Worst MPV?

Started by thewobbler, December 29, 2011, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

(shudders)

What is the least worst MPV out there folks?

If you could add some meat to the bones of your opinion, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Agent Orange

What do you class as an MPV, one of those high roofed Scenic thingys or a Toyota Hi Lux?

thewobbler

oakleafgael

In the same boat myself at the minute. Current car is an A4, we have a 3 year old, a nearly two year old, 7 month old and another on route. As it is the youngest is still in a rear facing child seat in the passenger seat but another month of that and he will have to go in the back. Its impossible to get any combination of child seats and booster to fit, which would only be an interim measure with number 4 due.

Today and yesterday I have drove the following, all 6 month to 1 year old models.

Ford Galaxy, Ford S-Max, Seat Albrahama & VW Sharon

All much of a muchness although the latter two are really the same yoke with a different badge. They both have sliding doors which is a big plus imo.

The one thing I noticed they all have in common is that they arent cheap.

I dont like the half house versions like an S Max, there is f**k alll room in the back of them if the child is older than say 10/12.

Agent Orange

If cost isnt an issue buy a 4x4. Plenty of room, easy access for child seats etc, room in the back for the doag and most importantly you wont look like you have given up on life. Landcruiser would be my choice.
If you have to buy one of those hi roof jobbies, avoid renaults as they are doing away with most of their models in the new year, according to Evo magazine.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on December 29, 2011, 10:07:42 PM
(shudders)

What is the least worst MPV out there folks?

If you could add some meat to the bones of your opinion, it'd be greatly appreciated.
What's your budget?

bennydorano

I've a Mazda 5, have it a year & 1/2 now and cant complain (apart from it being shit in the snow).  It has sliding doors, the back two seats that make it a 7 seater are easily adjustable in that you can flatten one or both if you didn't need happen to need them (you can flatten all the back seats in fact), my kids are 8, 5 & 4 so we are past the real messing about stage (but still use the child seat bases).  I got a petrol version, if i went again i wouldn't, although it is economical enough.  When we go on holidays we need a roof box, i doubt you could get away going on hols locally with a decent sized family without one tbh.

mylestheslasher

We had the same debate in our house 2 yrs ago. We ended up going for a Mitsubishi outlander. Big, spacious, average drive but much cheaper than competition. Mitsubishi, in my experience, are a good solid reliable vehicle and I'm happy with it so far. Only problem is its thirsty on fuel but they all are at that size.

Ulick

Can get 8 seats into the back of a Defender.

Sportacus

We have a Citroën Grand Picasso - very happy with it. Plenty of room, nice to drive, low maintenance (so far).

Main Street

I have a soft spot for Citroen, for the suspension system and storage space.
Way back, I had a 1300 Citroen GS estate. A great car to start a marriage with, on the cheap.
There was exactly 195cm of flat space, lengthwise in the back with the rear seat neatly folded, enough space to to have a good kip, shift fridges, sofas etc. With a roof rack you could double the load volume. When you needed to get over a rock, you just elevated the air suspension. When you needed to change a tyre, you raise the suspension, put the jack in place, let car sink down.
Air cooled engine, when you drove it very cold weather, you just had to place a plastic shopping bag over the air vent in the front to stop the cold air getting in, so there would be a bit of interior heat.

The thread question is about MPV, which afaiaa is a car with space,  not a jeeplet - a 4wd jeep lookalike without the jeep chassis/wheelbase etc,   nor a real jeep like the Defender or Land Cruiser.

thewobbler

Thanks folks.

Basically I've got feck all squared to spend, and just want to over with this unfortunate side effect of normal life!  They're all bog ugly; it's a bit like looking for a court at a party when you know all the good looking girls are away on.

As my oul fella fixes my cars, I've to follow his rules. Which means only diesel, no Fords and no Renaults, and no Vauxhalls. Beyond that, it's as much as mr bank loan will allow me to take on.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on December 30, 2011, 03:52:29 PM
Thanks folks.

Basically I've got feck all squared to spend, and just want to over with this unfortunate side effect of normal life!  They're all bog ugly; it's a bit like looking for a court at a party when you know all the good looking girls are away on.

As my oul fella fixes my cars, I've to follow his rules. Which means only diesel, no Fords and no Renaults, and no Vauxhalls. Beyond that, it's as much as mr bank loan will allow me to take on.
I would agree with your oul fella. We have a Zafira and at one stage it was giving awful bother but thankfully was still in warranty at stage. Brother in law had the Renault Grand Scenic and had some bother with it and know others that had turbo issues with the 1.9. They have 4 wains now so moved to a Ford Galaxy but i had my heart broke with my diesel Focus so I personally would avoid.

With all 7 seats up the vast majority of these yokes have no boot space so definitely make sure the 3rd row seats are split/fold or independent seats. No idea how many children you have but if you have 3 or 4 and can make the money available I'd avoid the smaller MPVs like Zafira, Scenic, Corolla Verso etc. and go for something slightly bigger. The more modern the car the more inventive the storage space is available in these cars - like the lads say Mazda5, new Citroen Grand Picasso etc. would be decent. I have researched all these to death at one stage or another so PM me if you want to know my findings!

Puckoon

We had a Honda Shuttle about 16 years ago and it was a great weapon for a MPV. I see it's not even on the list that TYP posted there at all.