Coffee machines

Started by The Worker, December 29, 2012, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Worker

Looking to get a decent coffee machine, anyone here got one, or could recommend one?

I have grown tired of instant coffee, and would like to get a machine that makes a half decent cup. Havnt a clue what type to go for as there are loads available on the market.

Thanks

Hardy

Unless you want lattes, cappuccinos and the like, a plain old cafetiere will give you as good a cup of black coffee as any machine, if not better.

The Iceman

Not sure if they are called the same thing in Ireland but a French Press is a great job. We had a coffee maker in the house and changed to the Press and would never go back.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thewobbler

Get a Moka stove pot.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moka+pot&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Makes better coffee than ANY household machine.

Costs next to nothing.

Makes your house smell wonderful.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Worker on December 29, 2012, 02:31:25 PM
Looking to get a decent coffee machine, anyone here got one, or could recommend one?

I have grown tired of instant coffee, and would like to get a machine that makes a half decent cup. Havnt a clue what type to go for as there are loads available on the market.

Thanks
I don't like  instant coffee either. I got into the habit of buying a two or three cups a day at my local supermarket or any other outlet that sold good, black coffee. For me, that means Starbucks, Bewleys or Hortons. However, at €1.80- €2.20 a cup the costs are considerable. I found I was spending around €30 a week and in those hard times, that was more than I was willing to pay.
So I bought a basic coffee grinder (€30) and a two-cup percolator (€15) as well as a couple of plastic storage containers with tight fitting lids and I've never looked back since I did so.

I can buy a 250g vacuum packed bag of coffee beans (Java or Arabica) for less than €10 at my local Tescos and that's about it!
When I break the seal, I grind what will do me for about a week and then put the remaining beans into one storage container and the ground coffee into the other. I estimate that I get around 30 cups from a packet so that's a considerable saving over what I used to spend.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Puckoon

Yes, French press/percolator is the way to go for lazy Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I love the smell of my machine on a timer waking me up as it wafts through the house on the weekdays.

If you can get your hands on some dunkin donuts breakfast blend you won't be sorry!

Rois

Nespresso machines are very cute and small, easy to use, you just need to make sure you have the capsules.

fitzroyalty

Nespresso is the way forward.

JimStynes

Tony Baloney

armaghniac

Teabags make shite coffee. Sainsburys coffee bags make a cup much better than instant and handy for the office etc where some of the above technology is inconvenient.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on December 29, 2012, 02:57:15 PM
Get a Moka stove pot.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moka+pot&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Makes better coffee than ANY household machine.

Costs next to nothing.

Makes your house smell wonderful.

Got one of those for a fiver in TK Maxx a while ago. Great job especially if you like your espressos.
The Aristocrat Years

rrhf

Bean  to cup all the way.  Nespresso handy but expensive and not really for coffeee conoisseurs if you are one of them.  Instant = cheaper bean = Pish.  After that it comes down to your bean preferences. Enjoy!

The Worker

It's seems a nespresso machine is the most popular.

Is there a particular model of nespresso you can recommend?

Thanks

Rois

Folks have a Nespresso by Magimix rather than Krups called Citiz (got Magimix one due to colour but don't think there's a major difference). Currently you get £40 worth of vouchers to spend on capsules.