County GAA Crests.

Started by AZOffaly, January 19, 2018, 02:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

A comment on the jerseys thread made me think about county crests. What's the meaning of yours, and what elements are in there?

Offaly's is a variation on the County Crest. It shows the Lion Rampant, which symbolises the Ui Failbhe, the Laiginian people after whom the County is named. e cross upheld by the lion is reproduced from the Book of Durrow now in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin. The triangle at the bottom is intended to represent the bogland of the county with a sprig of Andromeda polifolia as an appropriate county flower.
Obviously the Football and Hurley's Crossed represent the GAA games on the GAA Crest.

AZOffaly

Tipperary's GAA Crest is a simple affair, depicting the famous Rock of Cashel. It also has the dual symbols for hurling and football, but it's interesting to see the crossed hurls are above the football :) It also mentions the year 1884, obviously in reference to the foundation of the GAA in Thurles.

AZOffaly

Kerry - The current Kerry GAA crest ìs new since 2012, and is a set of items supposed to reference elements of the county.

County name – A bold decorative Celtic-style Ciarraí brand featuring a crowned C which pays homage to the county's moniker, 'The Kingdom'

Kerry's people – St Brendan and his epic voyage: an inspiring tale of bravery, skill and innovation. The naomhóg (a craft associated with the coastal communities around Kerry) is propelled by a sail featuring a Celtic cross – the symbol of the GAA

Kerry's fauna – Red Deer (Fia Rua): Ireland's largest wild animal whose only remaining native herd is found on the slopes of Torc and Mangerton. These animals are believed to have had a continuous presence in Ireland since the end of the last Ice Age (c. 10,000 BC) and are steeped in folklore. It is said that 'Tuan', the King of the Deer, was given rights of free passage by Fionn McCool to the mountains of Kerry and that his blood line lives on in the present herd

Kerry's landscape – Skellig Michael's iconic silhouette rising out of the Atlantic Ocean. A designated UNESCO World Heritage site and famous around the globe

Kerry's flora – KIllarney woodland fern that thrives in wild exotic places; an evocation of majestic mountains, valleys and hills

Kerry's artistry – A background pattern of concentric circles inspired by the gilding on the Ballinclemisig 'gold box' (part of the 'Kerry gold hoard' in the National Museum) and by Bronze Age stone carvings found all over Kerry

Kerry's birdlife – Storm Petrel (An Guairdeall): Kerry plays host to the largest numbers of this species anywhere in the world and is the world headquarters for breeding pairs

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 02:23:06 PM
A comment on the jerseys thread made me think about county crests. What's the meaning of yours, and what elements are in there?

Offaly's is a variation on the County Crest. It shows the Lion Rampant, which symbolises the Ui Failbhe, the Laiginian people after whom the County is named. e cross upheld by the lion is reproduced from the Book of Durrow now in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin. The triangle at the bottom is intended to represent the bogland of the county with a sprig of Andromeda polifolia as an appropriate county flower.
Obviously the Football and Hurley's Crossed represent the GAA games on the GAA Crest.

Why is Offaly the faithful county?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 02:48:14 PM

Because we kept turning up even though we were getting the shite bate out of us.

mup

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 02:49:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2018, 02:48:14 PM

Because we kept turning up even though we were getting the shite bate out of us.

;D ;D ;D

Very good

Shamrock Shore

Top Left: Obvious
Top Right: Mel's Cathedral in Longford
Bottom: The green fertile lands of County Longford. County Board affiliated in 1888

Gaisce agus Glaine: Bravery and Honour (approx I think)

Simps really.

The colours I would imagine are the county colours blue and gold and the red would symbolise the patriot blood spilt.

Cunny Funt

I like the Wexford crest, what is the story behind it?

LooseCannon

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 19, 2018, 04:20:37 PM
I like the Wexford crest, what is the story behind it?

Vinegar Hill I'd imagine.

AZOffaly

Yeah, obviously a nod to the boys of 1798 and the pikemen. I like they way they have shown the hurley and football.

Eamonnca1

I take the diagonal buttresses to represent Navan Fort, although I'm not sure what the red stripe up the middle of it is about.
The tree is appropriate for the Orchard County.
The three-bar cross is, I think, the Papal cross, signifying the city of Armagh's status as the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland.

Personally I always preferred the simpler county coat of arms:

seafoid

The offaly lads were outside the Pale but faithful to England according to Wiki.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Until 2013, the football and hurling boards of Galway both used their own separate county crests for their teams. Galway's final football crest depicted a Galway hooker, a traditional fishing boat, along with a gaelic football and contained the county motto "Ceart agus Cóir", while the final hurling crest was based on the coat of arms of Galway city, shown on the left, with the county's Irish name, Gaillimh, and the initials CLG written underneath, CLG being short for Cumann Lúthchleas Gael, the GAA's Irish name.

The teams began using the same jerseys and crest in 2013, ahead of that year's Football and Hurling National Leagues. This new crest was, for the most part, the same as the hurling crest with the most notable differences being the angle of the boat, and the replacing of the letters CLG with GAA.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2018, 02:43:27 PM
Kerry - The current Kerry GAA crest ìs new since 2012, and is a set of items supposed to reference elements of the county.

County name – A bold decorative Celtic-style Ciarraí brand featuring a crowned C which pays homage to the county's moniker, 'The Kingdom'

Kerry's people – St Brendan and his epic voyage: an inspiring tale of bravery, skill and innovation. The naomhóg (a craft associated with the coastal communities around Kerry) is propelled by a sail featuring a Celtic cross – the symbol of the GAA

Kerry's fauna – Red Deer (Fia Rua): Ireland's largest wild animal whose only remaining native herd is found on the slopes of Torc and Mangerton. These animals are believed to have had a continuous presence in Ireland since the end of the last Ice Age (c. 10,000 BC) and are steeped in folklore. It is said that 'Tuan', the King of the Deer, was given rights of free passage by Fionn McCool to the mountains of Kerry and that his blood line lives on in the present herd

Kerry's landscape – Skellig Michael's iconic silhouette rising out of the Atlantic Ocean. A designated UNESCO World Heritage site and famous around the globe

Kerry's flora – KIllarney woodland fern that thrives in wild exotic places; an evocation of majestic mountains, valleys and hills

Kerry's artistry – A background pattern of concentric circles inspired by the gilding on the Ballinclemisig 'gold box' (part of the 'Kerry gold hoard' in the National Museum) and by Bronze Age stone carvings found all over Kerry

Kerry's birdlife – Storm Petrel (An Guairdeall): Kerry plays host to the largest numbers of this species anywhere in the world and is the world headquarters for breeding pairs

A huge improvement on its predecessor which was far too cluttered IMHO:

armaghniac

Animals seem a feature of the Kerry crest
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B