Best Concert ever

Started by heganboy, September 14, 2016, 06:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Puckoon on September 21, 2017, 05:14:18 PM
Popular response, but Dave Navarro didn't warp (nice use of the word) them, he was at best 1/4 of the band. One Hot Minute was anything but generic, and the sound shift was heavily due to Keidis' relapses. Still one of my favourite albums.

I don't think we can say one is a better player than the other - I agree JK is a better fit for the RHCP, but original he ain't.

Suck my Kiss and Give it Away, while two of the most popular songs, wouldn't be considered 2 of the best - except for nostalgia and impact purposes.

Good Times though.

Suck My Kiss was voted the fifth best RHCP song by Rolling Stone and Give It Away won a Grammy and was "included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's unordered list of the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock"; in 2002 Kerrang! placed the song at number 67 in their list of the "100 Greatest Singles of All Time"; in 2004 Q included it in their unordered list of the "1001 Songs You Must Own!"; and VH1 awarded the song the 50th spot in its 2009 compilation of the "100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs"." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_It_Away_(Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers_song)

Both were popular and critical hits.

Puckoon

Donald Trump was voted PUSA!

EDIT: What this fan wanted to say was "shouldn't be considered' - not wouldn't.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: lurganblue on July 10, 2017, 03:56:13 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 10, 2017, 07:45:52 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 10, 2017, 08:24:54 AM
Quote from: Orior on June 09, 2017, 03:53:11 PM
My best concert ever was Andre Rieu, in Belfast last year.

Attending one of his concerts later in the year...what made it great for you?

You will recognise everything he plays. He tells a story with every thing he conducts and there is some humour thrown in.

Went to one of his concerts.  Sound a bit like Tony here but i went because I got free tickets (daughter was singing in the choir on stage for a song or two)... I wasnt really expecting much but came away thinking what a cracking show it was. Would def go again.

Was at a recent concert of his...very impressed.  Great atmosphere and good humour from him as mentioned.  Would definitely recommend.

I see he is in Dublin 8 and 9 Dec and in Belfast on Sunday 10 Dec.  Here is a small sample of his music  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmDNhi07_Ho

Syferus

I went to Christy Moore in Vicar Street last night and it probably was the most perfect concert I've ever been at, perfect set list, Christy in great form and a crowd totally enthralled.

I remember back in college the lad I used to get a lift in with had a scratched up CD of Live at the Point 1994 that has been left in the car when he bought it. It'd auto-play when you turned on the car so we must have listened to it 100 times at least. You'd get to Black is the Colour (the fifth track) and the fûckin thing would start skipping all over the place. I don't think I heard the second half of the album until three years later. Anyways, that was the first time I really took notice of Moore and I always wanted to see him live, so me and the same lad booked a table for last night and we both came out amazed by how fantastic a performer he is.

This didn't feel like watching the Rolling Stones now or even the Chilli Peppers, he still felt as vital and as full of energy as he was on that Live at the Point album 23 years earlier. If anything he sounds better now, and one of the best songs of the night was Where I Come From, which is only four years old from the album of the same name. He must be coming near the end of touring at 72, but I'm definitely going to see him again soon. There wasn't a single bad song.

ziggy90

Isn't "Black is the colour" a kind of Roscommon anthem?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

magpie seanie

Were ye allowed to drink and sing along? Breathe?

He has some good tunes but he's just as well known if not better known for covers.

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2018, 12:05:10 PM
Were ye allowed to drink and sing along? Breathe?

He has some good tunes but he's just as well known if not better known for covers.

Christy went "f**k" when he stalled on one of the lyrics to St. Brendan's Voyage and when some lad in the crowd gave him a dig out Christy was full of praise after it, the crowd loved it. He even dealt with some eejit interrupting him introing how Bobby Sands got the lyrics of McIlhatton to him during the hunger strikes. I know he has a reputation for being sour but I think if he knows the crowd are really into the music it makes a massive difference. The only typically Christy thing was if you went to the jacks you had to wait in the hall till the song he was playing finished before you'd be let back in.

Half the songs everyone was humming along. Vicar Street is the perfect size of a venue for his type of concert too.

playwiththewind1st

I can still remember a "put your hands in your pockets" instruction in London.

stew

Quote from: ziggy90 on January 11, 2018, 04:50:54 PM

Ballymenas anthem as well hi. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

foxcommander

Quote from: stew on January 12, 2018, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on January 11, 2018, 04:50:54 PM

Ballymenas anthem as well hi. )

Enough of your racism or I'll get the board's PC brigade on to you.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie