The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2020, 12:33:19 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 12:24:15 PM
Serious question-When have the "authorities" ever stopped anyone from kneeling?

The NFL banned the players from kneeling on the field. That counts as an authority in their case, would you not agree? Goodell recently reversed it.

Kaepernick de facto had his career ended because of his actions.

Trump would make "disrespect" of the flag/anthem a crime if he had half a chance. Fortunately for everyone, he doesn't.

Ok..I understood "authorities" as meaning the government.

The NFL owners did also gave them the option of staying in the locker room if they didn't want to stand for the anthem.

At the end of the day these athletes are employees of a franchise and their salaries are paid for by the fans through season ticket sales, jersies etc.  If they don't their teams "anthem policy" they can look for another job, just like any one else who is unsatisfied with their work conditions

(And I respect their right to kneel.....but if you take the big check you should know it doesn't come without strings attached)

gallsman

Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 01:31:12 PM

The NFL banned the players from kneeling on the field. That counts as an authority in their case, would you not agree? Goodell recently reversed it.

Trump would make "disrespect" of the flag/anthem a crime if he had half a chance. Fortunately for everyone, he doesn't.

The NFL owners did also gave them the option of staying in the locker room if they didn't want to stand for the anthem.

At the end of the day these athletes are employees of a franchise and their salaries are paid for by the fans through season ticket sales, jersies etc.  If they don't their teams "anthem policy" they can look for another job, just like any one else who is unsatisfied with their work conditions

(And I respect their right to kneel.....but if you take the big check you should know it doesn't come without strings attached)

Yeah and Roger Ailes had a "suck my c**k policy" when it came to attractive female newsreaders. Rather than complain, they should have just fucked off somewhere else if they didn't like the work conditions.

Because that's how it works  ::) ::)

J70

Staying back in the locker room is a pretty toothless form of protest. It was a bullshit alternative.

And yes, obviously everyone is subject to the whims of their employers, for the most part. But its hard to "look for another job" when the entire industry is blackballing you or your cause.

And for little reason as it turns out.

The NFL folded like a cheap suit in response to the George Floyd protests. They're like most corporations, worried more about their public image than what's objectively the right thing to do.

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on July 10, 2020, 01:44:04 PM

Yeah and Roger Ailes had a "suck my c**k policy" when it came to attractive female newsreaders. Rather than complain, they should have just fucked off somewhere else if they didn't like the work conditions.

Absolutely

No one is forcing anyone to work at Fox News or anywhere else for that matter

Some people are willing to put their morals and dignity to one side for a seven figure salary

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 02:04:38 PM

Absolutely

Some people are willing to put their morals and dignity to one side for a seven figure salary

Or to submit to abuse for fear of having their career ruined and future prospects jeopardized because a man like Ailes or Weinstein or any of these f**kers will blacken their names in the industry.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on July 10, 2020, 02:48:03 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 10, 2020, 01:01:49 AM
Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 12:49:42 AM
So explain to us then what the whole brouhaha is about

For a start, I guess they'd like to not get murdered by cops.
7 kids were killed in Chicago in the last 2 weeks why don't they speak out against this as well or protest in the neighborhoods where it's happening or kneel for kids who are killed from gang violence
Some players and former players more interested in quoting hitler and Farrakhan.

You're like the unionists who would respond to every statement about RUC/loyalist collusion with "What about the people killed by the IRA?"

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2020, 02:14:03 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 02:04:38 PM

Absolutely

Or to submit to abuse for fear of having their career ruined and future prospects jeopardized because a man like Ailes or Weinstein or any of these f**kers will blacken their names in the industry.

The world has changed and things that were normal or accepted even 20 years ago would shock people today

In my school days, which were 70s/80s, the beatings that were doled out wouldn't be tolerated today. In fact some people would most likely be prosecuted and banned from even setting foot in classroom again.l, but back then it was just accepted

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 10, 2020, 04:29:05 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 10, 2020, 01:01:49 AM
Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 12:49:42 AM
So explain to us then what the whole brouhaha is about

For a start, I guess they'd like to not get murdered by cops.
7 kids were killed in Chicago in the last 2 weeks why don't they speak out against this as well or protest in the neighborhoods where it's happening or kneel for kids who are killed from gang violence
Some players and former players more interested in quoting hitler and Farrakhan.

You're like the unionists who would respond to every statement about RUC/loyalist collusion with "What about the people killed by the IRA?"

Lol-false equivalence.

We're Nationalists killing thousands of their own people every year?

dec

7 kids were killed in Chicago in the last 2 weeks why don’t they speak out against this as well or protest in the neighborhoods where it’s happening or kneel for kids who are killed from gang violence

Because the those murders will be properly investigated and if they find out who did it they will put them on trial and most likely convict them. When blacks kill whites we know the same will happen.

But when the police or white vigilantes kill a black person the perpetrators are usually not even arrested.

Gmac

Quote from: dec on July 10, 2020, 07:01:08 PM

Because the those murders will be properly investigated and if they find out who did it they will put them on trial and most likely convict them. When blacks kill whites we know the same will happen.

But when the police or white vigilantes kill a black person the perpetrators are usually not even arrested.
how will they be investigated if there are no police in the communities remember defund , disband the police , in 2018 about 6000 white people were murdered and 7500 black people if that is an alarming stat . 73 and 13% of population respectively.

whitey

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the numbers of Black people killed by the police (or white people for that matter) would be less than (or close to) 1% of the total number of black people killed.

So spend all your time addressing 1% of the problem, while conveniently ignoring 99% of it

J70

Quote from: Gmac on July 10, 2020, 07:30:15 PM

how will they be investigated if there are no police in the communities remember defund , disband the police , in 2018 about 6000 white people were murdered and 7500 black people if that is an alarming stat . 73 and 13% of population respectively.

On what planet is there not going to be any police?

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 10, 2020, 07:34:05 PM

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but the numbers of Black people killed by the police (or white people for that matter) would be less than (or close to) 1% of the total number of black people killed.

So spend all your time addressing 1% of the problem, while conveniently ignoring 99% of it

So there is no one out there trying to address the social and criminal problems afflicting poor, minority neighbourhoods?

J70

Trump targeting universities now because they've had the audacity to question full reopening this autumn, as well as his attempts to go after international students. Doubling down on culture war as his record is an utter shitshow.

When it comes to indoctrination, one wonders how closely he will look at all those christian colleges who use primacy of jesus standards to allow students and faculty a place?

Unfortunately for the Dear Leader, a lot of facts when it comes to fields such as science and medicine for some reason conflict with the politics of the US right wing. Perhaps they'd be better re-examining their assumptions and theories instead of throwing a tantrum.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/506762-trump-tells-treasury-to-review-universities-tax-exempt-status

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2020, 07:34:51 PM
Quote from: Gmac on July 10, 2020, 07:30:15 PM

On what planet is there not going to be any police?
the planet de Blasio  Aoc  Omar and all the looney left live on and you back fully