Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

6th sam

Leicester historically have been a yo-yo club. A heavy injection of external cash made them EPL competitive , and all the ducks lined up in a row to allow them to win EPL, eg top teams in transition, injury avoidance, luck re signing quality players, momentum, favourable referees, no European or cup distractions . They were undoubtedly a one hit wonder, but are not yet comparable to united Liverpool city Chelsea arsenal spurs Celtic rangers.
A very strange decision therefore for BR to jump ship from a club which is a genuine institution and to which he claimed to have an affinity, and where he could have been an all time legend 10iar, triple treble etc, to a club which remains uninspiring despite their recent unexpected league win.
What really grates is BR immediately talking them up, almost like a parody - surprised he didn't say he supported them as a child.
This is what puzzles me about the mercenary nature of soccer, why can't managers be honest and say this is career/business decision instead of trying to pretend there is some sort of emotional attachment or affinity.
Another theory , Did BR blame SG for losing the EPL then offload him, and did SG blame BR for bottling Liverpool's EPZl title challenge. SG unexpectedly takes Rangers job, which made no sense, but was this an opportunity to get his own back on the man that turfed him out of his boyhood club and cost them an EPL title. Despite the  protestations of Many Celtic supporters , SG has done a great job at Rangers. They overran Celtic in Ibrox, and given Celtic's Poor form at times this season, has BR bottled it. Was he worried that Rangers continue their momentum under a charismatic manager with a point to prove, and a couple of bad results and another loss to Rangers, would see his reputation tarnished forever and  perhaps scupper his chances of ever getting back to EPL. He basically bottled it .
More importantly he has taken several Celtic staff with him and would have taken more had they agreed to go, and all the day before a crucial away match v Hearts.
What will be his legacy? He managed to dominate relatively weak and poorly resourced  opposition in Scotland , but his European record has been abysmal. Ultimately he didn't have the belly for it at the top level. He may have won a couple of trebles versus minnows, but he now appears to have been exposed as lacking in qualities such as honesty, loyalty unselfishness, bravery , patriotism which are important to the Celtic faithful . Welcome back Neil Lennon, he did it on the field and in management he had us much more competitive in Europe where it counts.
I'm not a massive Celtic fan, but I really like what they represent ( the Irish and charitable history , not the sectarianism of some of their mindless supporters ) and like Liverpool , Man Utd , Barcelona they are an institution, BR obviously didn't get that in the way Stein, strachan , o'neill, Lennon did.
Maybe it's more appropriate that Lennon gets the chance to guide Celtic to another title given the horrendous abuse he has had to suffer.

charlieTully

Quote from: 6th sam on February 26, 2019, 10:17:04 PM
Leicester historically have been a yo-yo club. A heavy injection of external cash made them EPL competitive , and all the ducks lined up in a row to allow them to win EPL, eg top teams in transition, injury avoidance, luck re signing quality players, momentum, favourable referees, no European or cup distractions . They were undoubtedly a one hit wonder, but are not yet comparable to united Liverpool city Chelsea arsenal spurs Celtic rangers.
A very strange decision therefore for BR to jump ship from a club which is a genuine institution and to which he claimed to have an affinity, and where he could have been an all time legend 10iar, triple treble etc, to a club which remains uninspiring despite their recent unexpected league win.
What really grates is BR immediately talking them up, almost like a parody - surprised he didn't say he supported them as a child.
This is what puzzles me about the mercenary nature of soccer, why can't managers be honest and say this is career/business decision instead of trying to pretend there is some sort of emotional attachment or affinity.
Another theory , Did BR blame SG for lesgue loss, then offload him. SG unexpectedly takes Rangers job, which made no sense, but was this an opportunity to get his own back on the man that turfed him out of his boyhood club. Despite the  protestations of Many Celtic supporters , SG has done a great job at Rangers. They overran Celtic in Ibrox, and given Crltic's Poor form at times this season, has BR bottled it. Was he worried that Rangers continue their momentum under a charismatic manager with a point to prove, and a couple of bad results and another loss to Rangers, would see his reputation tarnished and perhaps scupper his chances of getting back to EPL. He basically bottled it .
More importantly he has taken several Celtic staff with him and would have taken more had they agreed to go, and all the day before a crucial away match v Hearts.
What will be his legacy? He managed to dominate relatively weak and poorly resourced  opposition in Scotland , but his European record has been abysmal. Ultimately he didn't have the belly for it st the top level. He may have won a couple of trebles versus minnows, but he has now been exposed as lacking in qualities such as honesty, loyalty unselfishness, bravery , patriotism which are important to the Celtic faithful . Welcome back Neil Lennon, he did it on the field and in management he had us much more competitive in Europe where it counts.
I'm not a massive Celtic fan, but I really like what they represent ( the Irish and charitable history , not the sectarianism of some of their mindless supporters ) and like Liverpool , Man Utd , Barcelona they are an institution, BR obviously didn't get that in the way Stein, strachan , o'neill, Lennon did.
Maybe it's more appropriate that Lennon gets the chance to guide Celtic to another title given the horrendous abuse he has had to suffer.

Good post.

BennyCake

This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers

yellowcard

It makes you wonder how long this was in the pipeline and did Lennon know the job was going to become available before he made his exit from Hibs. Everything happened so quickly today that I don't believe these deals were just cobbled together in a day or two.

Walter Cronc

Minnow club?? They won the Premier League recently. Hardly to be mocked!

dec

Because support for a soccer team is based on the idea that it is more than a business. I might but a different brand of car next time if I get a better deal but I am not going to change which team I support.

If BR announces that he is only doing this as a career move then his time at Leicester will be dogged by people wondering if he already has his eye on a job after Leicester.

6th sam

Quote from: BennyCake on February 26, 2019, 10:37:14 PM
This talk of Celtics poor Euro form. What do people expect like? There's not a hope in hell Celtic could compete with the major teams from Spain Italy, England Germany etc.

The fact is, Scottish football is a minnow league in Europe and the tv money they get is minuscule, and their teams will just not be good enough when up against the super powers

Nobody expects Celtic to beat the superpowers, however they have to aspire to be competitive against the rest, especially teams with similar resources. During Rodgers tenure they have been trounced by the superpowers and been uninspiring against the others. Celtic park Euro nights guaranteed competitive football , that is no longer the case. Rodgers Euro record has been absolutely terrible, and his signings have been uninspired, too many on loan no doubt effecting the team bond. He benefited from a quality youth system and his professional approach to preparation , and his kudos as an epl manager undoubtedly was enough to dominate Scotland , but the extra required for Europe wasn't there. We tolerated his self righteous , self important demeanour But on reflection it just looks like pompous hypocrisy . It's like the Declan Devine situation , I can see the financial sense of  playing for England but own that, as opposed to dressing it up as something else and trying to justify disloyalty

marty34

How much compensation do Leicester have to pay Celtic now? 
Any proper figure especially as it's mid-season.

If it was sorted for June, I'd understand but I think doing it now has ruined his reputation especially after signing Brown up for another contract.

What must Scott Brown be thinking today???

dec

Quote from: 6th sam on February 26, 2019, 11:26:36 PM
It's like the Declan Devine situation , I can see the financial sense of  playing for England but own that, as opposed to dressing it up as something else and trying to justify disloyalty

Declan Rice?

6th sam

Quote from: dec on February 26, 2019, 10:49:25 PM

Because support for a soccer team is based on the idea that it is more than a business. I might but a different brand of car next time if I get a better deal but I am not going to change which team I support.

If BR announces that he is only doing this as a career move then his time at Leicester will be dogged by people wondering if he already has his eye on a job after Leicester.

I agree there is a massive emotional attachment of supporters to soccer teams across the water , which is incredible. However it's clear that BR will move on from Leicester if he's good enough , why should he be dishonest about it and make up some false affinity that can not be authentic. Leicester supporters won't care if he expresses his undying love for the foxes( who he apparently supported as a boy 😜) , as long as he's getting results. Sunderland loved Martin O'neill until results dipped then they couldn't get rid off him quick enough.
If Rafa Benitez came to Celtic , Supporters couldn't care less what love he has for the club, as long as they're winning.
BR chose to lay it on thick re his love for Celtic and now he walks away the day before a crucial league game and takes half his staff with him. I can appreciate that he has the right to choose what's right for him but It looks totally hypocritical given his previous comments.
I maintain he has bottled it in the face of some pressure from SG, and in any event he has proven time and again that he hasn't got it when the heat's on.

6th sam

Quote from: dec on February 26, 2019, 11:34:16 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on February 26, 2019, 11:26:36 PM
It's like the Declan Devine situation , I can see the financial sense of  playing for England but own that, as opposed to dressing it up as something else and trying to justify disloyalty

Declan Rice?

Yes rice , cheers for that👍

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2017, 11:51:17 PM
I don't think his race with Celtic is run yet.Brendan will not be at Celtic Park for a long time.It is clear from the book that he sees the chance of rehabilitation here after Liverpool,and you sense he desperately wants to prove himself on the European stage.

I can see Lennon,like big Jock,moving back to Celtic Park.The question is,will he, or indeed any other future Celtic manager get the autonomy and spending power that Brendan enjoys.

Good call.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 26, 2019, 10:46:09 PM
Minnow club?? They won the Premier League recently. Hardly to be mocked!
A minnow club that won the epl, is still a minnow club.
They did exceptionally well to to win the EPL ...  for a minnow club.