The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Have to say that I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding VAR. Both calls were spot on. The wolves one was offside, marginally or not, therefore no goal. It really is that simple.
Everyone seems to have a problem saying you can't rule goals out if its that close, but that's what VAR is for. We had a 'goal' at Man City last season that was 11 millimetres from going over the line that cost us the title, but that was grand and there was no fuss kicked up over that. So to say we can't be giving these marginal calls offside when they're offside and that it's ruining the game is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion. VAR was brought in to get those tight decisions correct, and that's what it's doing.

But on a side note, a great 2019 and some run we're on, but i'll not believe it until she has red ribbons on the handles.

johnnycool

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
Have to say that I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding VAR. Both calls were spot on. The wolves one was offside, marginally or not, therefore no goal. It really is that simple.
Everyone seems to have a problem saying you can't rule goals out if its that close, but that's what VAR is for. We had a 'goal' at Man City last season that was 11 millimetres from going over the line that cost us the title, but that was grand and there was no fuss kicked up over that. So to say we can't be giving these marginal calls offside when they're offside and that it's ruining the game is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion. VAR was brought in to get those tight decisions correct, and that's what it's doing.

But on a side note, a great 2019 and some run we're on, but i'll not believe it until she has red ribbons on the handles.

It's all about margins of error

1) when the ball was actually kicked, i.e. I presume when it leaves the foot is what they're using
2) the line drawn on where the last part of the defender is, not sure of this and can't find out how they draw that line
3) the line drawn on where the scoring part of the attacker is..... as above.

There's a fair bit of tolerance to be allowed for and I'm not sure how they do that but IMO if the thickness of the lines is that said tolerance then any overlapping of the two lines drawn should result in a goal standing as even VAR cannot be sure someone is offside,  benefit of the attacker and all that.

Probably didn't explain that too well...

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: johnnycool on December 30, 2019, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2019, 03:45:07 PM

It's all about margins of error

1) when the ball was actually kicked, i.e. I presume when it leaves the foot is what they're using
2) the line drawn on where the last part of the defender is, not sure of this and can't find out how they draw that line
3) the line drawn on where the scoring part of the attacker is..... as above.

There's a fair bit of tolerance to be allowed for and I'm not sure how they do that but IMO if the thickness of the lines is that said tolerance then any overlapping of the two lines drawn should result in a goal standing as even VAR cannot be sure someone is offside,  benefit of the attacker and all that.

Probably didn't explain that too well...
1)Yes.
2)Yes, the last part of the defender that can play the ball. The line is drawn vertically from that point on his body from floor upwards and that line on the floor is taken.
3)No, whatever body part the attacker scores with isn't taken into account. Like the defender, the last part of the attacker that can play the ball is taken, and the line is drawn the same as the defender's, from the floor vertically upwards to wherever the last part of the attackers body is. These two lines on the floor are measured from the point when the ball is played.
Former referee Dermot Gallagher on Sky Sports says this 3D software is as accurate as can be in the world today, and there is rightly no grey area on offsides, because if you start yapping about marginal offside calls even though they're offiside and trying o change rules etc then that's the beginning of the end of football. So basically if it's offside it's offside, suck it up if you don't like it, because the decision is the correct one.

Milltown Row2

After all that explanation,  VAR (according to all the ex players and commentators) is inept and isn't being seen as a success. Some teams have benefited from it very well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There was a league table I saw today on with net scores on teams benefit from it. It was actually tweeted by stevie McDonnell.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Interesting reading.

As correct as it can be means it isn't one hundred percent. For marginal offside calls it shouldn't be used.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 30, 2019, 04:58:13 PM
There was a league table I saw today on with net scores on teams benefit from it. It was actually tweeted by stevie McDonnell.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3929823/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Interesting reading.

As correct as it can be means it isn't one hundred percent. For marginal offside calls it shouldn't be used.
Yes it should. The lines are precise, and if VAR says it's offside, then it is, therefore the goal shouldn't stand. Simple.

imtommygunn

Is the time the ball is played at precise? If it's not then I would say the lines don't matter.

GiveItToTheShooters

Yes, that's the easiest thing for VAR to establish, slow motion and freeze at the point of contact.  They do that first

imtommygunn

I don't think it is... if it's a 50 FPS camera then how can they be sure of the exact time of the through ball unless it is played exactly on a frame which is more unlikely than likely?

Maiden1

There are no proofs, only opinions.

GiveItToTheShooters

Hahaha they're not using an old Nikon that you buy out of the shop here ;D
They're able to use goal line technology so they're gonna be using cameras that are highly advanced enough (the best and most precise system according to Dermot Gallagher) that they can slow it down and determine the exact point of contact.

imtommygunn

Ok it is actually 120 FPS. Same point applies with better odds for var...

It is not accurate to the millimetre which when you are making judgments to the millimetre seems kind of flawed. It is just plain wrong really. I was reading in cricket, true or not idk, that if the decision is too close for technology to call then the original decision stands. That makes sense to me.

Capt Pat

The way it is in the nfl is there has to be a clear and obvious reason to overturn the on field referees decision. They need to use that rationale in the premier league.