"Who is the best Free Taker in Ireland"

Started by Cic Saor, August 08, 2012, 12:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Brian Sheehan is the best free taker I have ever seen (over the last 30-35 years). Phenomenal striker of a ball from anywhere inside 60 yards and sometimes further out.

Cic Saor

Quote from: lenny on August 29, 2012, 07:40:05 PM
Brian Sheehan is the best free taker I have ever seen (over the last 30-35 years). Phenomenal striker of a ball from anywhere inside 60 yards and sometimes further out.

hi lenny;

Just to let you, "Bryan Sheehan" has registered for the Cic Saor Championships. So if you would like to watch him test his free taking talent against the likes of Oisin McConville, Paddy Bradley, Cian Ward, Paddy Keenan, Joe Sheridan and many more from throughout Ireland; head for Dundalk next Saturday (8th of September) 9 am start should have the final between 4-5pm ,

"Hope to see you there"

Kind Regards
Cic Saor
www.cicsaor.ie

Cic Saor

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 29, 2012, 09:28:18 AM
Has this competition been stopped by Croke Park?

Hi offaly

Croke Park did not stop the Cic Saor Championships. The Cic Saor will most certainly take place next Saturday 8th of September. There is a change of "venue" it will now be hosted in St Mary's (Marist) College Dundalk. 10% of contestants will receive a cash prize with first prize now GAURANTEED to be €2000 (minimum) competition starts 9am with the final head to head shoot out between 3-4 pm approximately

kind Regards
CicSaor
www.cicsaor.ie

All of a Sludden

Are the profits from this competition going to the Young Irelanders or does the individual running this get a cut?
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

Perhaps Cluxton will now take an interest.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cic Saor

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 03, 2012, 12:21:58 AM
Are the profits from this competition going to the Young Irelanders or does the individual running this get a cut?

Hi Sludden

The Cic Saor Championships is Fund Raising for the Dundalk Young Irelands. Any Funds we raise on the day will go to them !!!!
I hope you can come along and support our event or maybe even take part.

Kind Regards
CicSaor
www.cicsaor.ie

Cic Saor

Quote from: armaghniac on September 03, 2012, 12:47:26 AM
Perhaps Cluxton will now take an interest.

Hi Armagh
I hope he dose and he's more than welcome, but I'm not sure if it would suit his style of free taking. Don't get me wrong he is an incredible free taker from distance but id like see if the closer in shots at more acute angles suits his particular style.
I suppose there is only one way to find out and that is to get him registered so if you can get me his number I'll give him a call  :D

kind Regards
CicSaor
www.cicsaor.ie

Cic Saor

"Notice" due to club championship fixture date's not been fully released. entries The Cic Saor Championships will remain open untill this "Thursday midnite"

kind Regards
CicSaor
www.cicsaor.ie

All of a Sludden

Once again it came down to Louth v Meath, with  Brian White of Cooley beating former rugby player Joe Sheridan in the final. Brian only missed one kick all day. Jim McEnaeney was third, beating Brian Sheehan of Kerry. All in all a good days craic.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 08, 2012, 06:52:31 PM
Once again it came down to Louth v Meath, with  Brian White of Cooley beating former rugby player Joe Sheridan in the final. Brian only missed one kick all day. Jim McEnaeney was third, beating Brian Sheehan of Kerry. All in all a good days craic.

Who else took part?

NP 76

Went up to the competition today and had a great days craic . Was only myself and the the young lad but i have to say we were made more than welcome by all concerned.Alot of work went into the event and i have to say it was extremely well run.Sheehan was the big attraction and got to the final but was lymping around at the end as he seemed to have hurt the knee.I have to say it was a joy to watch him at such an event.Some of the players involved were Paddy O Rourke,Brian Farrell,Brian and Joe Sheridan from Meath,Oisin Mc Conville,Aoran Cunningham,Johnny Hanratty and a cousin of Oisins think his name was Stephen all from Cross,Conor mc Manus from Monaghan,Brian White,Jim Mc Enaeney and PaddyKeenan from Louth,Barney and Dean Rock from Dublin,a lad from Kildare dont know his name who finished 5th,and a few other local lads even the man on the burger stall had a go . All in all it was a day i enjoyed

orchard 8195

Could u take the frees from hands or ground? what distances and angles were they from?

royals12

where did brian farrell come? i wouldve thought he was better at taking frees than joe.

Cic Saor

History was made at 5.15pm last Saturday evening in St Marys college Dundalk where Brian White the Cooley Kickams and Louth midfielder bested a 45 man strong, field of contestants which included , club players, inter county players, multiple all Ireland winners and all stars, to win the inaugural all Ireland Cic Saor championships.
Brian was a worthy winner and statistically was the most consistent free taker only missing two frees all day.
We were delighted to have a very strong and illustrious field of contestants and Brian had to be at the very top of his game to take the title,
After three rounds we were down to 16 contestants, round 4 was the speed round, only four would progress to the final shootout where €2000 was waiting for the winner. (Louth's) Jim Mc Eneaney was the fastest qualifier followed Joe Sheridan (Meath), Bryan Sheehan (Kerry) and Brian white (Louth). Stephen Connolly from Kildare finished in 5th.  Stephen was very unlucky not to make the final four after he finished on the same time as Brian white but lost out in the rerun.
Each of the finalists started with three lives, but as White hadn't lost a life through the previous rounds he would have the advantage of four lives in the final.
Bryan Sheehan exited in 4th followed by Jim Mc Eneaney in 3rd. at this stage Sheridan had only one life remaining; this gave White a massive advantage with three lives. He certainly used this advantage wisely by bringing Joe to the bottom corner flag for his final free, after a fine attempt with the outside of his right foot to bend the ball over the bar, it was declared wide by the umpires Joe was eliminated in 2nd and Brian White became the first ever all Ireland Cic Saor Champion winning €2000 and the inaugural All Ireland Cic Saor trophy.

We would like to congratulate Brian on his victory and look forward to him defending his title in 2013.

You will be able to view highlights of this event on our website www.cicsaor.ie in the coming week's I'll keep you posted

Ps; To all those that helped and supported this event I will never be able to thank you enough Brian, Mike, Gary, Danny and Ailbhe from D4 EVENTS, all the helpers from the Dundalk Young Irelands, all the local business and contestants you were just incredible.

Not to mention a certain Oisin McConville, its people like Oisin that "make" the GAA not the other way around.....the Cic Saor would not have been the success it was without his help!!!!!!

Kind Regards
Cic Saor

Cic Saor

Quote from: royals12 on September 09, 2012, 02:56:05 PM
where did Brian Farrell come? i would've thought he was better at taking frees than Joe.

Brian was eliminated in round four the speed round , it was a pleasure to watch a player of his calibre competing

kind Regards
Cic Saor