Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

Quote from: bannside on October 26, 2020, 12:08:25 AM
Donal O Hare is a class act....you simply dont lose that in a couple of games. Having a pop at him here is cheap..even if he is going through a poor patch! You give a dozen years to your county (from u 16 onwards) and boys here lining up to take a cheap shot pop at you. Not very classy.

Donal O Hare been brilliant player for Down for guts of 10years, however anyone who thinks hes in good form clearly hasnt seen him play this season. Donal in good form walks on to team thats obvious. Other players deserve a chance thats all I'm saying.

Sandstorm

See Shane Mullholland appointed manager of CPN. Good appointment and strong squad. Any other new managers?

downjim

Some coup for the Point, can he get them over the line though.

Gaelforce123

Not an inspiring appointment by any means, I think it will take a strong backroom team to help him. He had success at intermediate level with Rostrevor but this is a different level and I think CPN had a stronger team in place last year but maybe when he names his backroom team it could be different. Don't need big name appointments I agree with that but what you do need is someone with a history of regular success to know what takes at this level if CPN are to push on rather than take a step back. Hopefully I am wrong as they are a team I would admire. Any other vacancies or appointments in the manager madness month?

Smurfy123

Don't know much about him but he has big shoes to fill
Niall took us to the next level and brought huge success to us
We needed to get the appointment early to tie down a few boys
Unfortunate that we can't keep the group chat private

downjim

If that what is huge success then god help your club

Lotto

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 28, 2020, 01:08:10 PM
Don't know much about him but he has big shoes to fill
Niall took us to the next level and brought huge success to us
We needed to get the appointment early to tie down a few boys
Unfortunate that we can't keep the group chat private

I'd say Barney would only be a size 7, maybe an 8 at a push so those shoes wouldn't be that big to fill. Niall has been sailing along on his Da's coat tails for some time now. Barney used to stand behind the dugout in Moygannon and tell the young fella what changes to make, nowadays he's in the stand on the phone or on an earpiece. Be up front Niall and put him beside you on the line but the roles of organ grinder and monkey are very well defined.

I agree with gaelforce, I was expecting more than Mulholland who will probably do an ok job but although in his first whatsapp message he says he is "Aiming for at least 1 Senior Champ", that again wouldn't fill me full of confidence. He first of all needs to stop players screenshoting messages and making them public, very embarassing to both him and the club and he hasn't even taken a session yet. Mark Poland with him also, a man with zero experience as a coach beyond youngsters. Good luck, I think they will need it.

Smurfy123

Not to often we agree lotto but saying he is aiming for more than 1 championship in his first text is pie in the sky stuff
Lots of clubs will remember that for next year and may go against us

Lotto

So what is your opinion on Mulholland/Poland management and the tweeting from the players whatsapp?

wobbller

Two Cross men in charge of Burren?

yewtree

Two massive appointments but not the two that were expected.

Burren were to go with an Ex County senior manager and a very high profile lively coach but it all went wrong when the two lads were insisting a very close relation be addition to management team. Burren players not happy with that addition so that appointment couldn't go through .Then at last minute they got another high profile man in.All not so happy in caravan land.

The Point on the other hand thought they had their number one target but just couldn't get it over the line.But in Shane Mulholland they have a real top manager and a very canny assistant in Mark Poland. Mark and Shane will bring a freshness to the Point and the reassuring thing is the players and changing room are all very excited to be working under Shane.Shane understands only too well the John Boyle position in terms of his football commitments.
All in all the mood about The Point is very positive about this management and feel it could be the key to at last getting over the line and an O'Hare Cup.

upandwin

Some amount of complete gobshites on this forum...Smurph you aren't a Point man so quit trolling the board to get some attention...

On the manager merry-go-round, Mulholland is about as good an appointment as the point could get I think...good man manager by all accounts and that's a big part to play in CPN. The whatsapp group was a c**k up by (most likely) a young lad who was either on the beer in Belfast or maybe doesn't get too much game time and has a chip on their shoulder and is still in the senior chat for whatever reason. That being said, I didn't see a wild lot for people to be giving it so attention like would people expect a new manager to come in and say 'great to be involved lads, hoping for a few heavy defeats and maybe sneak a relegation play off win in October!!' f**k me some amount of morons with little else or no work to be at on a Wednesday to be sending messages around of a manager wanting to be successful with a new team...they've been the second best team in the county for 2/3yrs now so hardly a shock they'd try and win a championship...anyways just My opinion.

I see the great Stevey Poacher is staying with the Ford with Ciaran Brannigan stepping down...assume that will mean McKibbon will be back playing which is a massive boost for a team that looked decent last year but devoid of leaders when under the cosh...he'll be a big help to Poacher.

Is Pete McGrath still with the reds does anyone know? Who are the appointed team in Burren? Any other big appointments?

Big question is can anyone challenge Kilcoo for the SFC next year? My prediction would be no, unless there's a mass exodus of lads emigrating for work in the next five years they will be hard to stop...not because of talent but more to do with their shear refusal to lose. No other team in Down has the cojones to beat them...

Taylor

Quote from: wobbller on October 28, 2020, 11:40:46 PM

Believe so - no expense spared there (yet again)

Smurfy123

Decent appointment for us
As one said if he can build on Niall's success this team can make the history books within our club
We are building something so special
Hope to god these men can go down in history also

5times5times

Quote from: Taylor on October 29, 2020, 09:56:37 AM
Quote from: wobbller on October 28, 2020, 11:40:46 PM

Believe so - no expense spared there (yet again)

Yet you wont give the names? You'd know more about a fish supper you clown.

Do you think Moran + Gilligan are working for free?
Do you think McAleenan was working for free?
Do you think Poacher is working for free?
Do you think Harte is working for free?
Heck, even Shorty for Mitchells....free?