Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: markl121 on April 25, 2024, 12:50:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2024, 12:41:30 PMExchequer gets nothing from match tickets here.
Heard this at the weekend, GAA pay taxes on Northern games but no on Southern games
Yep, no VAT on sports admission in the 26.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

Jasus lads don't be so tight, throw us up your spare change...lol.
On a serious note i've changed my tune now regarding Casement and the whole DUP and Government crap up here. With whatever we have in funding and handouts build whatever we can afford and f**k the whole lot of them, if it ends up a 25000 stadium so be it. Let them all go to hell and F**K the Euro's too, F**K the DUP and F**K everyone...ARRGGGHHHHH
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossfan

The GAA probably couldn't give 2 hoots whether there's a Euro soccer game in Belfast or not.
If the IFA, 6Cos Executive, Brit Govt and various soccer supporters want it then let them pay for it.
A 5,000 seat plus 15 to 20,000 standing would do the GAA in Belfast/Antrim just fine.

tbrick18

Quote from: Rossfan on April 25, 2024, 07:31:42 PMThe GAA probably couldn't give 2 hoots whether there's a Euro soccer game in Belfast or not.
If the IFA, 6Cos Executive, Brit Govt and various soccer supporters want it then let them pay for it.
A 5,000 seat plus 15 to 20,000 standing would do the GAA in Belfast/Antrim just fine.

No it wouldn't.
Part of the Casement redevelopment is that it becomes the new venue for the Ulster final as Clones is not fit for purpose.
Ulster final will sell 30K tickets annually without even trying to, could probably sell 40K.

Rossfan

In the real world if ye don't get any more money ye'll have to build what ye can with what ye've got.

Duine Inteacht Eile

Hanging your hat on future provincial championships wouldn't be very wise I don't think.

But, yeah, the "don't back down, double down" strategy has been a roaring success so I don't see any reason to change tack.

Wildweasel74

At the end of the day, the GAA want a top of the range stadia, but pay £15million to built it. Would that wash if u wanted to built a house, but only pay 1/6 of the cost to build it. They have to build whatever can be built, with the money available.They seem to miss the point that their sheer lack of due diligence, back about 10yrs ago, is the main reason we in this shit show.

Duine Inteacht Eile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 25, 2024, 10:23:57 PMAt the end of the day, the GAA wanta top of the range stadia but paid £15million to built it. Would that wash if u wanted to built a house but only pay 1/6 of the cost to build it. They have to build whatever can be built with the money available.They seem to miss the point that their sheer lack of due diligence back about 10yrs ago, is the main reason we in this shit show.
Well, not quite. We are claiming to have contributed a significantly larger amount than that.
Jarlath Burns:
The GAA as an organisation has contributed some £57 million (£42 million from the Irish government) to the project so far and we believe that is a fair allocation

Now, they asked for it and got it so they obviously made that contribution.
If the British govt decide to give the rest of the money, then it's fair to say that the GAA has contributed all of the funding for the project.

dec

Not quite the same situation but they are building a 34,000 capacity temporary cricket stadium outside New York City for $30 million, started construction in January and will be ready for the T20 Cricket World Cup in June

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlavalette/2024/04/24/new-york-cricket-stadium-set-to-cost-30-million-as-anticipation-builds-for-t20-world-cup/?sh=1bbf085a594a

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 25, 2024, 10:23:57 PMAt the end of the day, the GAA want a top of the range stadia, but pay £15million to built it. Would that wash if u wanted to built a house, but only pay 1/6 of the cost to build it. They have to build whatever can be built, with the money available.They seem to miss the point that their sheer lack of due diligence, back about 10yrs ago, is the main reason we in this shit show.
I think there's a couple of points here. Firstly nobody knew that it would take so long to get the project off the ground, nobody predicted Covid and the impact it would have on inflation etc and finally be it £15m or £57m it's a hell of a lot more than the IFA or Ulster Rugby contributed to their new stadiums
Careful now

Dreadnought

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 25, 2024, 10:23:57 PMAt the end of the day, the GAA want a top of the range stadia, but pay £15million to built it. Would that wash if u wanted to built a house, but only pay 1/6 of the cost to build it. They have to build whatever can be built, with the money available.They seem to miss the point that their sheer lack of due diligence, back about 10yrs ago, is the main reason we in this shit show.
Well considering what the games raise in taxes in the local area, then yes. Govt give very little back on what it raises from GAA activities. I fail to see why an organisation must raise it all themselves, pay taxes, give employment for the area, yet get absolutely nothing back and the govt gets away scot free.

Sport infrastructure gives so much to an area. Governments regularly do recognise this and stump up too. As they should here. It'll pay itself back easily