Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2013, 11:03:24 PM
Continually sending people to different teams, or worse starting to do so will not do a whole lot to end division.

Ok are you for keeping things the same? Would you prefer to have your kids to have no interaction with people from a protestant background?
Would it not be great for this place for our kids to grow up not worrying about religion or where someone is from? Eventually it will work out but needs to start somewhere. Non denominational schools (not so much intergraded) work really well. Very hard to have this where I grew up, based on location of course, but in areas where both sets live without the hassle it works well.

We can all choose what we want Orior, So can Rory, and we have people mouthing off him for it. I don't think Irelands need for golds should be based on golf, would prefer Ireland winning golds for track and field, traditional Olympic sports, boxing has been very good to us also. Money should be channeled in those areas
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Gret programme about Rory. Comes across a decent lad. I think his parents are a mixed marriage so can understand his dilemma. I'll support him whoever he plays for!

theskull1

I thinks its very important that we don't give a flying fcuk what he wants to do.

We all walk a different path
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stew

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 03, 2013, 11:19:20 PM
Gret programme about Rory. Comes across a decent lad. I think his parents are a mixed marriage so can understand his dilemma. I'll support him whoever he plays for!

Well played Walter, he is a Catholic and he has a mind of his own, feck the begrudgers, I hope he wins all round him.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyCake

Who cares which flag he plays under?

Sure wasn't Darren Clarke pictured under an Irish flag with Harrington and Co, a few years ago. I don't remember any fuss about that.

armaghniac

If McIllroy is promoting division in Irish sport then we are entitled to criticise him without being characterised as begrudgers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

Quote from: armaghniac on January 04, 2013, 02:45:17 AM
If McIllroy is promoting division in Irish sport then we are entitled to criticise him without being characterised as begrudgers.

promoting division my arse, he has his opinions and he is entitled to them.

George Best once stated he would like to see one Irish team as did Derek Dougan, where were you lads then? (if old enough)

This is a lose lose situation for McIlroy, if he was a Prod you would like him a lot more a la Darren Clarke and Gmac etc!

He is a young man and a world class professional athlete, he is one of us, find it within yourself to support one of your own ffs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

johnneycool

Quote from: stew on January 04, 2013, 03:09:16 AM

George Best once stated he would like to see one Irish team as did Derek Dougan, where were you lads then? (if old enough)

This is a lose lose situation for McIlroy, if he was a Prod you would like him a lot more a la Darren Clarke and Gmac etc!

He is a young man and a world class professional athlete, he is one of us, find it within yourself to support one of your own ffs.

Is Gmac and big Darrren not 'one of us' as well?

stephenite

Only thing that's being promoted around here is ignorance by the likes of yourself, Orior and Hardstation, fake Irish and wannabe Gaels with the IQ of a slug between the lot of ye.

Cold tea

Quote from: stew on January 04, 2013, 03:09:16 AM

::) ::)

tbrick18

Just my personal opinion, but I think he's a bit of a c*ck!
I don't care who he plays for or even that he plays golf. I've watched a few interviews he's done and I know I think he would really annoy me on a personal level.

Now that said, sport shouldn't have political or religious undertones in any way shape or form. Look at Celtic and Rangers....the fact that one is perceived Catholic and the Other Protestant, one is British and one is Irish, the bigotry from some fans on both sides as it were. For me that's a disgrace.
People becoming upset over him choosing British team over the Irish because he's a catholic (or vice-verse), are following in the same vein as the Celtic-Rangers issue.
Sport is sport....you should be able to play for who you want for what ever reason you want whether it be golf, soccer, rugby whatever.
Of course Gaelic is different, unless your name is Seanie  ;)

Milltown Row2

I suppose you were supporting the ones who give Barry McGuigan a death threat when he boxed for the British title? He really divided sport with that one FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: michaelg on January 03, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
At the risk of repeating myself...

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.
2) he went to a non-denominational school. Which means soccer and no gaelic.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldn't allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.

How do you know he would have been a handy CF?

Boy's Model ran in partnership with St Pats a hurling team, a lot of promotional stuff and it worked well for what it was.

Going to a non denominational school means fcuk all, Holywood has it's own Gaelic team, he choose not to play for them as golf was his thing, going to a non denominational school also made him have friends outside of his religion, not a bad idea as the dcikhead who wants to keep this place divided will send their kids to one religion schools. Just my view

I was talking to a woman who had a brief teaching spell in the Boys Model. On the second day the pupils worked out that she was a catholic so they drummed the sash on the walls every time she walked past them. Nice place.

I went to a school that wouldnt entertain soccer. I'm just a product of that era, and all I can see is the erosion of Gaelic games through non-denominational schools.
Just out of interest, do you get many protestant teachers teaching in catholic schools?

Yes, you'd probably be surprised.  A Protestant friend of mine taught in a convent school for about 18 months as far back as the late 80s.

AQMP

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 03, 2013, 11:19:20 PM

Not sure about that.  Is that not McDowell you're thinking of??  If I were in McIlroy's shoes I'd leave this decision as late as possible.  I'm not 100% au fait with the qualification rules but could there be a scenario where if McIlroy declared for GB that would let McDowell in to represent Ireland??  That would be a great "out" for him!!

Personally I identify myself as Irish and therefore would like him to play for Ireland but wouldn't be too upset if he plays for GB.  In the past he has represented Ireland at World Cups and amateur events but let's face it, the story "North Down Catholic Says He's British" should not be news to anyone.

My gut tells me he'll plump for GB.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AQMP on January 04, 2013, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: michaelg on January 03, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
At the risk of repeating myself...

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.
2) he went to a non-denominational school. Which means soccer and no gaelic.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldn't allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.

How do you know he would have been a handy CF?

Boy's Model ran in partnership with St Pats a hurling team, a lot of promotional stuff and it worked well for what it was.

Going to a non denominational school means fcuk all, Holywood has it's own Gaelic team, he choose not to play for them as golf was his thing, going to a non denominational school also made him have friends outside of his religion, not a bad idea as the dcikhead who wants to keep this place divided will send their kids to one religion schools. Just my view

I was talking to a woman who had a brief teaching spell in the Boys Model. On the second day the pupils worked out that she was a catholic so they drummed the sash on the walls every time she walked past them. Nice place.

I went to a school that wouldnt entertain soccer. I'm just a product of that era, and all I can see is the erosion of Gaelic games through non-denominational schools.
Just out of interest, do you get many protestant teachers teaching in catholic schools?

Yes, you'd probably be surprised.  A Protestant friend of mine taught in a convent school for about 18 months as far back as the late 80s.
So far we have accounted for 2  ;D