Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Why is he arsed what people think ? He spends very little time here now so he must be somewhat detached from it all.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 03, 2013, 06:45:25 PM
McIlroy should have the courage to pick a side. Not choosing a side would be the cowards way out and ultimately I think he would regret not playing.

Now he's a coward?? Can't win either way so instead of upsetting people (dcikheads in my opinion) he's a coward? I'd say, my opinion, that he is just letting it die down (the media attention),  it's not for another 3 odd years!! Concentrate on playing golf and trying to stay number 1

Not saying you are a dcikhead btw  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM
McIlroy should have the courage to pick a side. Not choosing a side would be the cowards way out and ultimately I think he would regret not playing.

Now he's a coward?? Can't win either way so instead of upsetting people (dcikheads in my opinion) he's a coward? I'd say, my opinion, that he is just letting it die down (the media attention),  it's not for another 3 odd years!! Concentrate on playing golf and trying to stay number 1

He is.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

If I was him I'd field all questions on the subject saying he might not be picked.

When the time comes, the first country to send him an official letter of selection, choose that.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

muppet

If Luke Donald and one other from Scotland/England/Wales get above him in the world ranking he might not even qualify for Britain.

It is also possible he wouldn't make an Irish team although it is hard to see Harrington and one other (if McDowell declares?) getting above him in the world rankings. But you'd never know.
MWWSI 2017

AFS

Quote from: heganboy on January 03, 2013, 07:04:45 PM
I would imagine that he has choice of event written into his contract...

Maybe, but this wouldn't just be any old event. The first Olympic golf event in 112 years has the potential be the most widely viewed competition in the history of the sport. There will be massive pressure from Nike to appear.

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on January 03, 2013, 07:42:55 PM
If Luke Donald and one other from Scotland/England/Wales get above him in the world ranking he might not even qualify for Britain.

It is also possible he wouldn't make an Irish team although it is hard to see Harrington and one other (if McDowell declares?) getting above him in the world rankings. But you'd never know.
Pretty sure the top 15 in the world at the time qualify automatically regardless of how many from same country make up that number.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

He will have to make the decision to play for either team or not at all at some point. If I was in his position I pick my side and f**k the begrudgers. He obviously has enough media savvy now to sit on the fence but any negative publicity is unlikely to affect his commercial interests and he has or is relocating to Florida so why worry?! Maybe he is hedging his bets to ensure he gets a spot on either team!

Denn Forever

Is it not the top 20 that qualify to play at the Olympics?  Could he qualify and pick a country e.g. Iceland, Azores, Nigeria and play for them?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd be pretty annoyed if he played for the Brits.

Me too

I wouldn't want him playing for Ireland if he really didn't want to.
I would rather if the spot went to someone who was proud to represent the country,flag and anthem should they win.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

leaveherinsir

I would imagine with him being dettached from living here now he just thinks to himself " could i be arsedwith all this now" It was a throwaway comment anyhow. Watch his body language on the programme later. Personally im not a fan of his but you couldnt blame him when you consider all the fleg furore recently

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2013, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 03, 2013, 07:40:35 PM
I'd be pretty annoyed if he played for the Brits.

Me too

I wouldn't want him playing for Ireland if he really didn't want to.
I would rather if the spot went to someone who was proud to represent the country,flag and anthem should they win.
The fact that he hasn't come out in favour of playing for Ireland should tell you all you need to know on that score! Irish golfers would be sure to be seriously pissed off if he took a place for the sake of it.

Orior

At the risk of repeating myself...

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.
2) he went to a non-denominational school. Which means soccer and no gaelic.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldnt allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thejuice

What's disappointing is that he is thinking of not playing for fear of offending someone. f**k offending people. Look at the gowl that was roaring in the door about the fleg issue. Those are the people he'll be upsetting. Idiots namely, of either stripe.

Go out and play. He's a Northern Irish man as far as he's concerned. Those who can appreciate what he's done as a man from Ireland  irrespective of the colour on his sleeve will applaud him and those that have a problem with it will twist their knickers, drool and pull faces behind their computers and in the opinions columns. f**k those people.

Wish Rory all the best for 2014.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016