FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Disappointing match after a dream start. I would have given Foley mom. Duff worked hard but never got in behind Popov. Shane Long was poor enough at times as he wasn't holding up the ball. Whelan is just not good enough especially if he can't get a game at his club. I think Gibson could be ok but he needs a few players to pass the ball with him. Richard Dunne looked very poor too. If Trap doesn't get a few players onto the team who are playing football with their clubs and are on a bit of form instead of this loyalty to old players rubbish then we will get bet in Macedonia.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2011, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 27, 2011, 12:33:20 AM
Hardy - I can confirm Dangerhere did say this.

As well as saying "It's like watching Brazil" in the first half.

In the second half it was more painful than a Brazillian (or so I am lead to believe).

Brady was horrid contrary about the empty seats. Is Denis O'Brien paying him as well?

Good God! It's the sort of thing you'd say as a bad joke about soccer players and you're telling me it's true. What a travesty of a game it's been allowed to become.

I presume by saying he's getting coaching from a judoka in learning how to fall it's to avoid injury. Think Duff has had a couple of dislocated shoulders and once you have one you become very susceptible to picking up more of them.

laoislad

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 26, 2011, 09:52:49 PM
"That's below the belt"

What about Chippy having a go at Bill over the plight of the working man .... brilliant.

If it did cost 60 yo yos to go to that game tonight no wonder the stadium was half empty.

It was €45 for a ticket..

Positives from last night:
They Won
First half performance and last 10 mins in 2nd half
James McCarthy coming on and putting an end to which country he is gonna play for.
The 3 pints of Guinness I had in Paddy Cullens before the game...like new milk they were.

Negatives:
Poor for large patches of 2nd half
The pitch(f**king Rugby hoors)
Doyle getting injured ..any update??
That f**king I just can't get enough song them fans of that Glasgow club sing making an appearance in some sections of the crowd. 
The poor attendance,maybe when people stop thinking this is f**king Rugby country they will start coming to games again..€45 wasn't that expensive for a ticket last night.
I was in Row CC of the top tier,I was wrecked tired by the time I climbed up to my seat.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2011, 12:01:23 AM
I can't believe I wasn't hearing things, so can anybody tell me me if I misheard George Hamilton saying Duff has had training from a judo coach in how to fall?
Duff when at Blackburn, was young buck making asses out of defenders with his skill on the ball.
Naturally he became a target for tackles to teach him to behave. Every game he was hacked senseless until the fullback got a yellow card. He dislocated his shoulder from hard falls to the turf, then it kept happening repeatedly. At Chelsea he took lessons on how to fall and hit the ground without doing in his shoulder.
Since then I don't think he has dislocated his shoulder once.

Hardy

Main Street

Quote from: Ulick on March 26, 2011, 09:39:06 PM
Mad how people see games differently. Granted I tend to get distracted when watching soccer but of what I did see, Duff was shite.
It's not mad, you are just shite when it come soccer.

On others here, on Ireland's performances  usually there is a difference of perception between barstoolers and the res, i.e. the people who follow local soccer leagues or/and follow the international team.
Difference of opinions is a normal thing. But barstoolers are the worst analysts of Irish international football. Somehow there's already an engrained inferiority complex. There is an assumed knowledge, based on watching epl on sky which does not reconcile with the available talent for the FAI and the standard of play.

imtommygunn

Duff was shite. As a real constructive influence on the game I didn't think he added much. He's beginning to remind me of Neil Lennon - get the ball and pass sideways / backwards.

Working hard ain't enough for international football.

Would like to see more of McCarthy in centre mid - agree regarding Whelan.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2011, 09:43:11 PM
Duff was shite. As a real constructive influence on the game I didn't think he added much. He's beginning to remind me of Neil Lennon - get the ball and pass sideways / backwards.

Working hard ain't enough for international football.

Would like to see more of McCarthy in centre mid - agree regarding Whelan.

Not all doom and gloom. James McCarthy showed more composure and touch in 5 minutes than Gibson and Whelan in 90. Throw in Seamus Coleman and a fit O'Shea at left-back, with Given behind and it starts to look like a proper team, but unfortunately Trapp will be very slow to ring the changes.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

An obvious question maybe, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer. Duff is predominantly left footed I think, and McGeady seems to be right footed. If they are not, then both of them spend an inordinate amount of time 'cutting in'. You'll never beat a proper international defence cutting in every single time. Why don't they switch wings and attack down the outside. Both of them are capable of beating a man once, and should be able to put in a cross.

I realise that a winger cutting in can have a shot, like McGeady's goal, but that only happens rarely in fairness. Probably more dangerous to have good balls being put into the box from the end line?

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2011, 09:24:24 AM
An obvious question maybe, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the answer. Duff is predominantly left footed I think, and McGeady seems to be right footed. If they are not, then both of them spend an inordinate amount of time 'cutting in'. You'll never beat a proper international defence cutting in every single time. Why don't they switch wings and attack down the outside. Both of them are capable of beating a man once, and should be able to put in a cross.

I realise that a winger cutting in can have a shot, like McGeady's goal, but that only happens rarely in fairness. Probably more dangerous to have good balls being put into the box from the end line?

That only works when you have proper goalscorers in the team who can head the ball. Keane is poor in the air and Doyle, for all his workrate and industry, isn't a quality goalscorer.

Leo Messi doesn't do a bad job cutting in from the right wing  ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on March 28, 2011, 10:09:50 AM

That only works when you have proper goalscorers in the team who can head the ball. Keane is poor in the air and Doyle, for all his workrate and industry, isn't a quality goalscorer.

Doyle is a good header of the ball, and we have more options who can head the ball at least. But every ball in from the wing doesn't need to be for a header, cutbacks on the ground, or crosses low in the 'corridor of uncertainty' are just as dangerous.

Messi plays most of his time in the middle I'd say, he drifts in from the wing and picks the ball up in the centre. That's different to picking the ball up on the wing and *then* cutting inside.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2011, 10:51:02 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 28, 2011, 10:09:50 AM

Doyle is a good header of the ball, and we have more options who can head the ball at least. But every ball in from the wing doesn't need to be for a header, cutbacks on the ground, or crosses low in the 'corridor of uncertainty' are just as dangerous.

Messi plays most of his time in the middle I'd say, he drifts in from the wing and picks the ball up in the centre. That's different to picking the ball up on the wing and *then* cutting inside.

Doyle may be decent with his head, but he's hardly Les Ferdinand or Christian Vieri. We just don't have the quality up front to go down the wings and stick balls into the box (no jokes please)

Denn Forever

Trappatoni is adventurous.

Republic of Ireland team to play Uruguay in an international friendly at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday 29 March:

Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McGeady; McCarthy, Long

Kelly to skipper Ireland, McCarthy starts
Monday, 28 March 2011 14:37
Stephen Kelly will captain the Republic of Ireland in tomorrow night's friendly with Uruguay.

The 27-year-old Fulham defender will take over the armband from Robbie Keane who has been released as manager Giovanni Trapattoni takes a look at some of his back-up players.

Kelly, who will win his 21st cap, was an unused substitute in Saturday night's 2-1 Euro 2012 qualifier victory over Macedonia.

Having made his first competitive appearance off the bench against Macedonia, Wigan's James McCarthy will start behind the lone striker Shane Long between Aidan McGeady and Liam Lawrence and in front of Keith Fahey and Paul Green.

Kelly will be in the centre of defence with Ciaran Clark on the left, Darren O'Dea in the centre and Kevin Foley on the right.

Keiren Westwood continues in goal in the absence of Shay Given.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Worker

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 28, 2011, 03:07:29 PM
Trappatoni is adventurous.

Republic of Ireland team to play Uruguay in an international friendly at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday 29 March:

Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly (capt), Clark; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McGeady; McCarthy, Long

Kelly to skipper Ireland, McCarthy starts
Monday, 28 March 2011 14:37
Stephen Kelly will captain the Republic of Ireland in tomorrow night's friendly with Uruguay.

The 27-year-old Fulham defender will take over the armband from Robbie Keane who has been released as manager Giovanni Trapattoni takes a look at some of his back-up players.

Kelly, who will win his 21st cap, was an unused substitute in Saturday night's 2-1 Euro 2012 qualifier victory over Macedonia.

Having made his first competitive appearance off the bench against Macedonia, Wigan's James McCarthy will start behind the lone striker Shane Long between Aidan McGeady and Liam Lawrence and in front of Keith Fahey and Paul Green.

Kelly will be in the centre of defence with Ciaran Clark on the left, Darren O'Dea in the centre and Kevin Foley on the right.

Keiren Westwood continues in goal in the absence of Shay Given.

that team is wrong, its keogh instead of mc geady

magpie seanie

Fair play to Trappatoni. He is really helping Darron Gibson get more games (as he always say Darron needs) by leaving him on the bench tonight. Possibly a better team than the one that played the other night!