young lad racially abused down in Carlow

Started by his holiness nb, July 24, 2008, 01:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Tempoman on July 24, 2008, 03:18:24 PM
Something similar happened at the feile na nog in the cavan area this year. Some young fellas on the team over from London got some racial abuse shouted at them by the opposing manager. The manager was sent to the stands. From what i know, that was the end of it. Its disgusting behaviour.

Lifetime ban. A manager. Of a kids team.

heffo

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2008, 05:21:25 PM
Quotethere is no specific rule to sanction members of the GAA for racism

There is a rule about discrediting the association which I think is tailor made for cases like this and should be applied in these cases.

Thats the rule thats generally applied, but the thing with abuse from the sidelines or comments from another player is that it has to be heard by the ref & included in his report - a complaint from the other club will get the issue highlighted, but you'll rarely see sanctions over it..

magpie seanie

Yeah, I understand thats how it works in practice but its not really good enough. If the will is there to nail these scumbags it can be done. The much-maligned rule book isn't actually that bad.

Jinxy

In relation to the various media reports describing this delightful group of young ladies being "egged on" by adults, how exactly does that work? Does this mean the adults weren't racially abusing this young fella, they were just encouraging the girls to? What does it say about our society when a group of like-minded decent citizens wouldn't just say to each other "Are we going to sit here and listen to this sh*t or are we going to do something?" I think if it was a gang of young lads roaring abuse someone would have acted on it. I'd imagine it's not the easiest thing in the world for a grown man to approach a group of teenage girls with a view to telling them to shut the f*ck up. That sort of scenario could spiral out of control fast, particularly in a tense, volatile atmosphere.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Frank Casey

Have to agree that this sort of rubbish needs dealing with. I remember feeing very ashamed a while back when one of our International Rules squad opened his fat gob in Oz. Least said about that the best.

I felt ashamed that the GAA was thus highlighted but gald that the matter was being openly debated.

However this happens in other sports and its not just South Africans getting taunted.
KERRY 3:7

spectator

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2008, 05:37:29 PM
Yeah, I understand thats how it works in practice but its not really good enough. If the will is there to nail these scumbags it can be done.

Racial abuse is happening at under-age GAA games and as long as it's tolerated in any form, it'll continue to become an increasing blight on the GAA.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour - society's or other sports' ills shouldn't be the GAA's primary focus here though. A stong lead must be taken to nip it in the bud. If the current rules aren't clear or workable then they should be re-drafted and unambiguously presented so the majority of decent members can prevail.

If the problem is ignored, who knows what it could grow into down the line.

Hardy

I half-heard a report on this on the 6:00 news - The Mrs was bending my ear about something and I can't shape my mouth to say "shhhhh" since me front teeth got shattered with a jug the last time I said it. Anyway there was a sentence something along the lines "a GAA spokesman said the association is preparing guidelines to deal with racial abuse in the games".

Anybody know anything about this?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Shocking episode, and it can't be said that there's no precedent; long past time that the GAA took proper cognisance and effective action.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

uimhir a cuig

If this happened to a member of my team, i would walk off the pitch and encourage others to follow me.  This kind of sh*t has no place in any sport.  Those bitches that spouted it, and those who encouraged them should be hit with a lifetime ban from attending all GAA games at any level.  The GAA must craic down hard on this sort of thing, a strong signal must be sent out to all those who would potentially abuse a player.

stevecw

This is terrible to see, especially as it happened within my own county.
Ok i know the young lad involved, he plays with the same team as myself, Eire Og. Great player, our best at U-14 by a long way. There is himself & another Nigerian guy on our U-14 team.
I wasnt at the game on Monday as i work in Dublin, but my brother was & rang me that night to fill me in on the easy win & the comments he heard.
Thing is, as an Eire Og person we are so used to the abuse & rivalry with our "enemy" in the town O'Hanrahans. There is no love lost between both sides from U-10 up to senior. But this abuse is taking it to a whole new level.
I dunno how to put this without sounding bad, but there is an O'Hanrahans element who will just cause trouble & abuse Eire Og at any chance. Some of these would be from the estates around the town that are best avoided to be honest. Ok the club has some great members and families involved, but sadly also attracts a lot of the scum element of Carlow town.
Im sure these girls & those who encouraged them, belong to this element. For years at games ranging from u-10s up to senior there has been abuse & comments shouted about various players etc. But now that we have 2 Nigerians starring for us, that is obviously an easy target with their kinda mindset.
I dunno what can be done, im sure there wasnt many at an U-14 semi on a Monday night...so culprits should be easily identified.
Ban them from Dr Cullen Park & thats about it im sure. Cant really fine or ban a club because of a few teenage girls. There's no easy solution i can think of.
Its just terrible to see our brightest young talent in the club being dragged through all this.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not easy stevecw, and good words from yourself, and you're neither the first nor alone, and good luck. 

Not something, I believe, that can be tackled effectively on a local basis -- this needs serious acknowledgement from Central, and that's where any policy, if it's to be efficacious at all, has to emanate from. Unfortunately, we've (the GAA) reached the juncture of no action or radical action, and we need some radical thought. We're not beyond a nationwide anti-racism campaign, at every game, at every level. What's the alternative?... Wait until there's a fatality (which might well come from one manager throttling another)? Heads need to removed from both sand and asses here rather sharpish*.

Quote from: Hardy on July 24, 2008, 08:14:46 PM
I half-heard a report on this on the 6:00 news - The Mrs was bending my ear about something and I can't shape my mouth to say "shhhhh" since me front teeth got shattered with a jug the last time I said it. Anyway there was a sentence something along the lines "a GAA spokesman said the association is preparing guidelines to deal with racial abuse in the games".

Anybody know anything about this?

Hope that's true Hardy, and hope that it's more than lip service -- it needs to be a fairly rigid departure from the usual 'guidelines' I fear. And hope that your dentures hinder you in no other mode of expression  ;)

stevecw

Agree Fear, on a local basis there is not much can really be done. Lets hope the GAA at the top level can come up with something to try stamp this kind of thing out.
Chances are there will be more Nigerians, and other foreigners taking up gaelic games around the country within the next few years. Lots of them arrive here really young or are born here, so will play the game at school, with friends & join clubs. Just like Teboga did with Eire Og.
If Teboga & some Polish guy are our midfield pairing when we win Leinster in 10 years time then fantastic! Who cares what colour they are or where they were born, if they live in your county & are playing with clubs within your county then great.
For those interested here is the article about Teboga in our local paper http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mheyojeyql&cat=news

Yes I Would

These youngones at the game should be easily identified, and if they are members of a GAA club then someone needs to grow a set of balls and f**k them out.
If they are not members of a club they should never be let back near the club or any GAA field in the town.

Hopefully it wont discourage the young lad and his mate from playing. Worst thing that can happen is for it to be swept under the carept and forgotten about. Someone down there needs to accept responsibily and make sure these little f**kers never get the chance to inflict such abuse again near a GAA pitch

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 24, 2008, 10:32:38 PM

Hope that's true Hardy, and hope that it's more than lip service -- it needs to be a fairly rigid departure from the usual 'guidelines' I fear. And hope that your dentures hinder you in no other mode of expression  ;)

It was probably your man Frank Buckley who is a representative for SARI(Sport Against Racism Ireland).  I heard him on the radio talking about all the wonderful work that soccer is doing to eradicate racism but how the GAA and Rugby are lagging behind.  He belatedly acknowledged that there is an initiative and it is in its final stages.  

This is a terrible position for any club to be in but there are elements of the media, primarily from the DOB empire who are using it to score cheap political points for soccer in that it is wonderful that soccer has these initiatives long before the GAA.  I am not saying the GAA should not have done something earlier, but this has not been a mainstream problem due to the very low levels of involvement of non nationals.  It is an issue to be addressed now and hopefully it will be done in a mature manner and not a reactionary lash out manner which can be the trademark of the GAA sometimes.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 24, 2008, 11:29:24 PM
It is an issue to be addressed now and hopefully it will be done in a mature manner and not a reactionary lash out manner which can be the trademark of the GAA sometimes.

True BC1, it needs to be a carefully weighed and considered, but potent, policy. Hope springs.