You know

Started by never kickt a ball, January 13, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

They say "quare" in Armagh as well.

AZOffaly

A lot of them are said around the midlands as well, especially the 'may'.

Another one is savage. As in good. That was savage.

Woejeous as in bad.

Some hero. As in a buck eejit.

buck eejit.

Whishtup

Around Tyrone-'Thon', as in, "Luk at thon!", or " luk at the head on thon blade!", which reminds me of 'blade' for the fairer sex-not necessarily derogatory.  'Your blade' for your sister is quite acceptable as is 'the oul blade' for your mother.  Don't know it's origins.

In Limerick they use the word 'gowl' as in 'He's some gowl, that fella' or 'Get away, you gowl!' 
Cuts to the bone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 18, 2012, 06:55:19 PM
They say "quare" in Armagh as well.

And Tyrone, and Donegal.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

Can any of our Western correspondents confirm this?

Someone was telling me tonight that when you ask a Connacht person "how are ya?" you can get "I'm quare well" in reply. Not only that, but since Weshterners have a habit of adding "well" to the end of a sentence for emphasis, you can be told "I'm quare well, well".

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Seamroga in exile

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

ross4life

Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2012, 10:06:44 PM

Someone was telling me tonight that when you ask a Connacht person "how are ya?" you can get "I'm quare well" in reply. Not only that, but since Weshterners have a habit of adding "well" to the end of a sentence for emphasis, you can be told "I'm quare well, well".
Never heard that saying, "doing grand any craic with yourself" is a more common reply in Connacht.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2012, 10:06:44 PM

Never heard of that. 'Grand','sound' or 'not too bad' would be the usual replies.

Lar Naparka

'Mighty' is a word us Mayo folks are mighty fond of using while no self-respecting Dub will proceed very far without tagging a 'rioght' at the end of a sentence.
The rioght here is an interrogative and kinda means did youse comprehend that, me oul' segotia?  So watch out for something like:
"When you get to the roundabout, ya turn left, rioght? Keep going and ya take the second right, rioght? "
Mighty hard to follow them betimes.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Gold

Martin McHugh says "it's interesting" every minute during his punditry.

Listen out for it this summer--does your head in

And more often than not it's not interestin
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

donegal_abu

Quote from: Gold on January 22, 2012, 12:29:20 PM

Never noticed that but he stutters all th time ! Just say it man !!

muppet

Quote from: Gold on January 22, 2012, 12:29:20 PM

Interesting.
MWWSI 2017