You know

Started by never kickt a ball, January 13, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

In parts of Derry they like to say 'aw Sir!' all the time. They're 'wile civil' up there, referring to everyone as 'sir'.

donegal_abu

Quote from: Glensman on January 17, 2012, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 13, 2012, 10:29:17 AM
"or what do you macall it" as a former Ulster IC manager managed to add into every sentance.

Slightly different point here but best name I have seen so far for a chippy is the stationary van in Ardara Donegal "Whatcha McCollums"

hahah thats near enough to where I live ! Get take aways from it now and again

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 17, 2012, 06:21:17 PM

They have that in Armagh too, but it's shorter and snappier and sounds a bit like "bi".

Can't say I've ever heard this "yerra" or "arra".

Can someone please tell me what the hell 'yerra' means? And in what context is it used?

5 Sams

Quote from: BennyCake on January 17, 2012, 08:21:36 PM

They have that in Armagh too, but it's shorter and snappier and sounds a bit like "bi".

Can someone please tell me what the hell 'yerra' means? And in what context is it used?

IMHO yerra is used by a cute Kerry hoor (or maybe even a Cork langer) at the start of a statement of questionable veracity or one which is complete bullshit in fairness.

"Yerra Kerry are shite this year and they'll be lucky to get past Clare in the first round in Munster".
The Aristocrat Years

donegal_abu

Quote from: BennyCake on January 17, 2012, 08:21:36 PM

yerra and arra dont really mean anything :D Its like when people add "like" into sentences for now reason, arra is the culchie version imo!

Glensman

Quote from: donegal_abu on January 17, 2012, 07:40:55 PM
Quote from: Glensman on January 17, 2012, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 13, 2012, 10:29:17 AM
"or what do you macall it" as a former Ulster IC manager managed to add into every sentance.

Slightly different point here but best name I have seen so far for a chippy is the stationary van in Ardara Donegal "Whatcha McCollums"

Love Ardara. Couple of years back was down there and engaged in an impromptu pub/pool crawl. Don't think we even graced all the pubs in town. Serious friendly folk. Was there for the All Ireland semi last year as well - sandwiches and food brought out during the match in Teagues. Magic. Shame about the result. There was a wee old Dub who we fell in with after the game. Lives nearby and was in the blue proud as punch and winding the whole thing up...all were up for the banter and match soon forgotten. Great spot.

Never understand the Yerra wording either! Cheers for clarification...I think?!

hahah thats near enough to where I live ! Get take aways from it now and again

Whishtup

Basically, I basically have a lecturer who basically says basically, basically every other word that basically comes basically out of his mouth, basically.  In a one hour lecture,  one of the lads counted 156 basicallys.  Never noticed till somebody pointed it out.  Now it drives me giddy.

'lick y'know' is common-think it's nerves that cause these things.

nrico2006

In Strabane and surrounding areas every sentence nearly finishes on a 'sir' or 'hi', the word 'while' would be used in the way 'wild' would be in other parts of the country.  Anyone from the Strabane area when being interviewed on TV seem to have a tendency to say you know about 30 times a minute - listed to Stevie O'Neill or Shay Given the next time they are interviewed.  In Lurgan, 'bai' seems to be stuck to the end of every sentence.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ludermor

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 18, 2012, 08:39:30 AM
In Strabane and surrounding areas every sentence nearly finishes on a 'sir' or 'hi', the word 'while' would be used in the way 'wild' would be in other parts of the country.  Anyone from the Strabane area when being interviewed on TV seem to have a tendency to say you know about 30 times a minute - listed to Stevie O'Neill or Shay Given the next time they are interviewed.  In Lurgan, 'bai' seems to be stuck to the end of every sentence.
Have to agree with this, worked with a heap of scaffolders from Strabane/lifford and every second word was sir.

Tony Baloney

Is "C'mere til I tell you..." a Northern affliction only? It's wile annoying, so it is.

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2012, 01:17:53 PM
In fairness the 'Hi' and 'Mucker' in Derry would be very much a City thing. Us proper Derry people would be word perfect all the time :D
Hi would still be bantered about alright but mucker has practically died out.  "Lad" would be more common now up here.  And talking about civilised are you not from the same place as that infamous offlicence not serving the foreign nationals  ;)  Civilised like the Romans feeding the Cristian's to the lions  :)

5 Sams

"Yer chattin."

I hear this being used in Fermanagh quite a bit....

e.g.

"How much did you pay for your new tractor hi?"

"Yer chattin 200 quid."

The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 18, 2012, 12:08:20 PM
"Yer chattin."

I hear this being used in Fermanagh quite a bit....

e.g.

"How much did you pay for your new tractor hi?"

"Yer chattin 200 quid."

I'll take 5 right now.
MWWSI 2017

The Claw

Don't see the following examples in interviews but the following were commonly heard in college:

Quare - "Jaysus lads it's quare cold out here 'n all?" - Wexford / Wicklow
Fair - "He's fair good at the football" not really sure of the origin but I want to say Tipp / Clare.
May - "We may move on to the disco lads before it gets too full" - Carlow
The finest  - "The disco? That'll be the finest" - Carlow