Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 03:19:08 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2014, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 01:12:48 PM
Haven't got Sky, but did big Daíthí get the call to go over along with all the other TV3 pundits?

Jamesie and Ollie Canning were the analysts the last day and Nicky English was doing co-commentary. I think Nicky's very good. He tells ya things like "Colin Fennelly is a great athlete and ball-carrier but his first touch is poor" which is the kind of info I'm looking for from an analyst. And in the Galway v Tipp game he spotted very early on that there was a total mismatch for pace between Seamie Callanan and Ronan Burke. Callanan skinned Burke  for the vital goal with 20 minutes to go.

Would agree that Rachel Wyse knows little enough. She was asking Ollie and Jamesie after the game about the huge impact bringing on a legend like Henry Shefflin can have. The two boys looked a bit puzzled since Henry had made absolutely no impact.

I'd question the value in bringing on Henry at this point in his career. It gets a big cheer but not much else(aside from the late point against Galway which was almost the match-winner.)

I wouldn't fault Rachel for that as more experienced commentators on RTÉ were wondering when Henry would appear as if it was inevitable, with Cody duly obliging with 5 minutes to go. Cody obviously thought Henry would have an impact as well.

I like Henry, fantastic hurler and all that, but his intercounty race is run and a monumental run is has been. I don't think we'll see the likes of it again in my lifetime.
I think I said back in the spring that if Kilkenny do win an AI it would be off the backs of the Fennelly's, Paul Murphy, Richie Hogan and Richie Power and not Henry. I still stand by that.

Henry came on against Limerick and made a big impact in just upsetting the Limerick half back line who were well on top at the time. He won ball, hopped off lads, and set the tone for the Kilkenny forwards.

I'm not sure the Tipp lads would pay much heed to that, but at the same time if he got a small bit better on his first touch in the play leading up to the controversial free at the end, he'd have maybe hit the winner.

Asal Mor

Yeah he got stuck in against Limerick and made a contribution to be fair. And they were behind when he came on that day. Think the rain and slower game might have suited him though.

Jinxy

Anyone hear Joe on Off the Ball with Paul Kimmage earlier today?
Jesus, whatever about the telly stuff, he should never be let near a radio interview again.
He started off by cursing profusely, then when he was taken to task he said everyone curses so what difference does it make (bear in mind this is Sunday lunch-time radio).
Then he proceeded to talk over everyone else and stifle any sort of reasonable discussion.
I turned it off after about 5 minutes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on November 16, 2014, 04:28:32 PM
Jesus, whatever about the telly stuff, he should never be let near a radio interview again.
He started off by cursing profusely, then when he was taken to task he said everyone curses so what difference does it make (bear in mind this is Sunday lunch-time radio).
Then he proceeded to talk over everyone else and stifle any sort of reasonable discussion.

Probably had a liquid lunch wouldn't be the first time

5 Sams

Apart from the cursing and the talking over everyone...I'd say his biggest problem is saying live on air that Roy Keane has "deep seeded psychological issues". Can't wait to see that row!
The Aristocrat Years

JoG2

Quote from: INDIANA on November 16, 2014, 04:37:27 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 16, 2014, 04:28:32 PM

Probably had a liquid lunch wouldn't be the first time

Quit with this guff for the love of god

tyroneboi

"His towering rages, the way be behaves, the constant craving for publicity. The guy would walk over crushed glass to get to a mic."

No he's not talking about himself - pot kettle and black etc!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 16, 2014, 07:59:22 PM
Apart from the cursing and the talking over everyone...I'd say his biggest problem is saying live on air that Roy Keane has "deep seeded psychological issues". Can't wait to see that row!

I'm sure Roy Keane couldn't give two shites what Joe Brolly says about him.
That was never a square ball!!

5 Sams

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 16, 2014, 08:35:55 PM

Probably not but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if he ever meets him.......assuming Roy knows who the wee Bollox is!
The Aristocrat Years

Itchy

Quote from: tyroneboi on November 16, 2014, 08:34:45 PM
"His towering rages, the way be behaves, the constant craving for publicity. The guy would walk over crushed glass to get to a mic."

Joe has very accurately described himself there.

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 16, 2014, 08:39:58 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 16, 2014, 08:35:55 PM

Probably not but I'd love to be a fly on the wall if he ever meets him.......assuming Roy knows who the wee Bollox is!

If he doesn't, I am sure Joe will tell him quick enough.
MWWSI 2017

twohands!!!

Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2014, 08:44:04 PM

I am Joe's complete lack of awareness.

It's not just a case of the pot calling the kettle black - I'd say it's almost a case of the kettle calling another kettle a kettle.

Anyone know if Joe's been back on RTE Radio since he had the row with Des Cahill during the summer?

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on November 16, 2014, 09:19:37 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 16, 2014, 09:03:28 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2014, 08:44:04 PM

It's not just a case of the pot calling the kettle black - I'd say it's almost a case of the kettle calling another kettle a kettle.
What??

Kettle.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Or, in Foxrock, cows.

Jinxy

I have to say, he made a lot of sense on Newstalk last night regarding fixtures and the sustainability, and some might say the morality, of the current model for inter-county football.
Worth a listen.

http://www.newstalk.com/player/home/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/74212/joe_brolly__gaelic_football_is_depressing
If you were any use you'd be playing.