The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

On the balance of things, I think we'd be a lot worse off as a society if people refrained from speaking their mind on things they clearly have an issue with. If it looks like a duck etc then just f**king call it a duck and don't be afraid to call out anyone protesting otherwise. In my case, I think the dry humping suggestion so laughably implausible that I'm not even going to consider it as a possibility. To my mind, it is a creation of someone who has already decided the lads aren't guilty, or that they don't want them to be guilty, and so has come up with an explanation, no matter how daft, to explain away (in their head) what Dara Florence saw.

That, of course, is not carte blanche to dismiss any and all opposing views as unworthy of consideration or discourse, the way our esteemed sheep shagging colleague from Roscommon does.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2018, 02:07:05 PM
On the balance of things, I think we'd be a lot worse off as a society if people refrained from speaking their mind on things they clearly have an issue with. If it looks like a duck etc then just f**king call it a duck and don't be afraid to call out anyone protesting otherwise. In my case, I think the dry humping suggestion so laughably implausible that I'm not even going to consider it as a possibility. To my mind, it is a creation of someone who has already decided the lads aren't guilty, or that they don't want them to be guilty, and so has come up with an explanation, no matter how daft, to explain away (in their head) what Dara Florence saw.

That, of course, is not carte blanche to dismiss any and all opposing views as unworthy of consideration or discourse, the way our esteemed sheep shagging colleague from Roscommon does.

Fúck right off.

I dismiss Asal Mor, Orior and MR2 because their views clearly and consistently indicate their prejudices. I have seen all three post long enough to make that call very confidently on this topic. Everyone else I have an issue with (barring the usual troll accounts that infest this place) it's no where near that black and white. You can say some very troubling things out of ignorance but that alone is not the same thing as proudly and unabashedly wearing your predjuices on your sleeve and trying to perpetuate them as some sort of quasi-common sense.

Jim Bob

Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2018, 01:40:47 PM
I can think of no instance where anybody I know, or anybody I have heard of or ever encountered has thought "I can't get it up ffs. Hang on a moment, I'll just bang away with my flaccid length for a wee bit". It simply doesn't happen. Anyone even contemplating the idea that this is what happened would want to have a long, hard look at themselves.

"I can't get it up ffs" and "have a long ,hard " 😂😂

Avondhu star

Quote from: Syferus on March 16, 2018, 02:30:40 PM

Fúck right off.

I dismiss Asal Mor, Orior and MR2 because their views clearly and consistently indicate their prejudices. I have seen all three post long enough to make that call very confidently on this topic. Everyone else I have an issue with (barring the usual troll accounts that infest this place) it's no where near that black and white. You can say some very troubling things out of ignorance but that alone is not the same thing as proudly and unabashedly wearing your predjuices on your sleeve and trying to perpetuate them as some sort of quasi-common sense.
I note that you haven't denied the "sheep shagging" allegation
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 16, 2018, 01:37:10 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2018, 01:22:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2018, 12:03:57 PM
I reckon he couldnt get it up, very natural thing to happen when youre plastered and was dry humping her, no semen would sugest this, as your normally have some semem of sorts.. I do believe the girl who walked in and seen what she seen, and its her story i believe will actually get the guys off

If you genuinely, and I mean genuinely, believe this, then you are are moron and an idiot.
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 16, 2018, 01:09:21 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 16, 2018, 12:44:37 PM
Myself and a few friends recently sat and discussed the whole notion of debate. The whole idea of opinion expressing and how it has changed. The general consensus was that people's opinions have very much gone down the lines of black or white and if you don't agree then you're a 'facist'  a such and such apologist etc etc. This thread is a prime example of that. Politics is a prime example of that and now it's all extreme, one side or the other. Perhaps this girl was raped, perhaps she wasn't. There's only 3-4 people who know the actual truth and their stories all vary. I have an opinion but that's all it is. My opinion also doesn't reflect what I believe the outcome might be as that is going to be determined by 11 other people's opinions.

This thread has really opened my eyes about how some people see the world and it is not nice. It really isn't.
+1
Great post BCB. The vast majority feel they need to pick a side as everything is binary. You have to be either green or orange or red or blue, snowflakes or facsists, boys versus girls. Lots of people (inc. on this thread) don't seem to understand nuance or shades of grey. Social media has exacerbated this as everyone thinks their opinion is valid and must be heard so you then have people playing to the crowd (virtue signallers) who need attention and affirmation that they are on "the right side".

I used to think it was a generational thing and it was younger people but this thread confirms that it crosses every boundary. And you're right it is sad.
Everything isn't binary. Most posters couldn't care less about American sports or Laois football. Political discussions tend to be polarised and so is this one. But perhaps it has less to do with the world going to pot than the way people think. This court case is interesting because of who is involved and the reporting available on it. And the way people think will define the weight they put on the fact that the claimant took her top off. While others will look at the credibility of the defendants on the stand.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

I know everything isn't binary but lots of people take that approach to life. Re. the credibility of the defendants - their testimony leaves a lot to be desired but back when I was a younger man I've had nights out where I had a lot less to drink than Olding and I wouldn't be able to fully piece together a night, even if my liberty depended on it. So I'm not surprised their stories are all over the place, which crucially isn't evidence of them being rapists.

gallsman

Fúck right off.

No. A few pages back, AQMP stated (you know, somewhat reasonably) that being stupid wasn't a crime. Your oh so witty retort was "You've covered up for people you were told were rapists?".

You're an embarrassment and it's people like you, on your crusades, who will end up ultimately prejudicing prosecutions and causing justice to fail to be served. You've no interest in justice here, you simply made your mind up from day one. You're simply a mouthpiece and I find it highly amusing for you to give out about someone as behaving "alt-right" when all you do is scream louder and louder every time. You're the Sean Spicer of the board. Fake news indeed.

gallsman

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 16, 2018, 02:33:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2018, 01:40:47 PM
I can think of no instance where anybody I know, or anybody I have heard of or ever encountered has thought "I can't get it up ffs. Hang on a moment, I'll just bang away with my flaccid length for a wee bit". It simply doesn't happen. Anyone even contemplating the idea that this is what happened would want to have a long, hard look at themselves.

"I can't get it up ffs" and "have a long ,hard " 😂😂

Yes yes, very good, well done.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 16, 2018, 02:46:04 PM
I know everything isn't binary but lots of people take that approach to life. Re. the credibility of the defendants - their testimony leaves a lot to be desired but back when I was a younger man I've had nights out where I had a lot less to drink than Olding and I wouldn't be able to fully piece together a night, even if my liberty depended on it. So I'm not surprised their stories are all over the place, which crucially isn't evidence of them being rapists.

When you were younger? I find it harder now to remember nights out!

But I've been to plenty parties over the years and seen a lot of stuff going on that, looking back is very similar to these "modern" parties

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2018, 03:00:26 PM

But I've been to plenty parties over the years and seen a lot of stuff going on that, looking back is very similar to these "modern" parties
I don't get many nights out these days and avoid shorts otherwise I'd be hungover until Wednesday!

A feed of pints followed by a load of vodka and Red Bull and hours would go missing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 16, 2018, 03:04:44 PM

I don't get many nights out these days and avoid shorts otherwise I'd be hungover until Wednesday!

A feed of pints followed by a load of vodka and Red Bull and hours would go missing.

I'll indulge tomorrow and god knows what will happen in the club!!!

Wake up Sunday morning as the hurling manager again! fecking nightmare
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2018, 02:49:01 PM

Fúck right off.

No. A few pages back, AQMP stated (you know, somewhat reasonably) that being stupid wasn't a crime. Your oh so witty retort was "You've covered up for people you were told were rapists?".

You're an embarrassment and it's people like you, on your crusades, who will end up ultimately prejudicing prosecutions and causing justice to fail to be served. You've no interest in justice here, you simply made your mind up from day one. You're simply a mouthpiece and I find it highly amusing for you to give out about someone as behaving "alt-right" when all you do is scream louder and louder every time. You're the Sean Spicer of the board. Fake news indeed.

It was a valid rhetorical question in its context. It's strange you seem to think it's some brilliant gotcha to bring it up as a reply to what I just posted because it's a non-sequitur at best.

I'm not a juror on this trial so I can say whatever I damn well please and it doesn't prejudice anything. I'm not even a citizen of the country the trial is taking place in. Suggesting that me pointing out the pathetic apologist stances of some posters is causing justice to fail is probably a top tier nonsense line in a thread filled to the brim with them.

The old approach of pretending the justice system, particularly for sexual assault and rape cases, is infallible and the arbiter of truth (it only serves that role in a legal sense, which some here would do well to remember is a very narrow description) is far worse than highlighting the inherent biases that female rape victims face.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on March 16, 2018, 03:11:23 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 16, 2018, 02:49:01 PM

Fúck right off.

It was a valid rhetorical question in its context. It's strange you seem to think it's some brilliant gotcha to bring it up as a reply to what I just posted because it's a non-sequitur at best.

I'm not a juror on this trial so I can say whatever I damn well please and it doesn't prejudice anything. I'm not even a citizen of the country the trial is taking place in. Suggesting that me pointing out the pathetic apologist stances of some posters is causing justice to fail is probably a top tier nonsense line in a thread filled to the brim with them.

The old approach of pretending the justice system, particularly for sexual assault and rape cases, is infallible and the arbiter of truth (it only serves that role in a legal sense, which some here would do well to remember is a very narrow description) is far worse than highlighting the inherent biases that female rape victims face.

Its the only system they have, had they your system then there would be a lot of innocent people in jail

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2018, 03:08:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 16, 2018, 03:04:44 PM

I'll indulge tomorrow and god knows what will happen in the club!!!

Wake up Sunday morning as the hurling manager again! fecking nightmare
It worked out okay in the past!

Applesisapples

We've beenfollowing this case in the office, one of our female members of staff has been convinced from the start that they are not guilty. I have gone back and forth, if beyond reasonable doubt is the test then I think they may well walk. For me though the one nagging question is why a 19 yo would put her self through this, I don't buy the reputation argument. Making an allegation against two well know sports stars is noisy decision or path to take.