Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Colm O'Rourke is in no position to making judgements on ANYONE's levels of class.
If it was Sean Boylan that'd be a different matter but then Sean Boylan would have too much ..... class

DB_An_Mhi

Genius and class are two completely different character traits, though not mutually exclusive.

COR stated "as he has a touch of class in how he conducts himself". And let's face it Colm would have had more dealings with both players that most of us.

Hardy

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 01, 2011, 11:24:32 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 10:22:02 AM
Excellent player but...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/geraghty-axed-for-first-test-after-racist-remark-393016.html

Maybe you should read Darragh Ó Sé's column today and then reflect on what this contribution says about you.

Just posting what is already in public domain. I didn't write the article. For what its worth id put the article up if it were about a Cavan player.

Hardy

Why did you feel the need to highlight this? And do you honestly think Geraghty is a racist?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 01, 2011, 06:26:52 PM
Why did you feel the need to highlight this? And do you honestly think Geraghty is a racist?

Because the question arose whether he had "class" or not as per colm o rourkes comments. Anyone who goes abroad representing their country and uses that term to a 17 year old certainly has no class as I understand the word. Define rascist? People who call other people derogatory terms based on their skin colour are rascist in my opinion

agorm

Excellent player but...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/geraghty-axed-for-first-test-after-racist-remark-393016.html

Cheap shot.....

I came on here to see some decent debate about the weekend's games, only to read this regurgitated rubbish. You must have plenty of spare time to allow you to search the internet for this article.

I am not surprised this site is going down the tubes if this represents the level of discussion.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: agorm on June 01, 2011, 07:00:13 PM
Excellent player but...

Cheap shot.....

I came on here to see some decent debate about the weekend's games, only to read this regurgitated rubbish. You must have plenty of spare time to allow you to search the internet for this article.

I am not surprised this site is going down the tubes if this represents the level of discussion.

Only took me 30 secs to find the article. I remember the incident well so just stuck graham geraghty and rascist into Google. Do you think it is false this report. I seem to remember the Australians took it serious enough to beat the hell out of him the next chance they got. Anyway, sorry for ruining your Gaaboard experience

Hardy

So you decided he was a racist and went looking for corroboration. And you came up with the Irish Independent! Well done.

People like you who, by their own admission, go trawling for negative stuff to sling at others make me want to puke.

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 07:17:15 PM
Quote from: agorm on June 01, 2011, 07:00:13 PM
Excellent player but...

Cheap shot.....

Only took me 30 secs to find the article. I remember the incident well so just stuck graham geraghty and rascist into Google. Do you think it is false this report. I seem to remember the Australians took it serious enough to beat the hell out of him the next chance they got. Anyway, sorry for ruining your Gaaboard experience

Yeah they waited for their chance and 7 years later they got him.  ::)
You are pathetic Myles.
Geraghty stupidly made the comment after the Australian lad had illegally taken out Ciaran McManus who had to go off injured as a result.
Graham apologised to the chap after the game and everyone moved on.
Everyone except bitter Cavan men with axes to grind.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mylestheslasher

I've played with and against protestants (which sort of an equivalent in Cavan) all my life and no matter what happened I never resorted to language like that. Apology was issued after ozzy media went crazy, was it not. He was removed of the Ireland panel too even with the apology. Class is not a word most sane people would use with geraghty. Hardy, unplug the keyboard carefully, wash with water and leave on a radiator to dry. The Puke is a divil to get out. Jinxy, what's to be bitter about?

Hardy

Not yet- still puking. You had the chance to make a graceful withdrawal but instead chose not only to stick by your sanctimonious hypocrisy but to compound it with a little parable about how you are above this kind of thing as exemplified by your own impeccable behaviour. Puke.

DB_An_Mhi

TBH it was one of the first things that sprang to my mind too (before Myles link), when others were drawing attention to COR's "touch of class" piece, reading in between the lines and wondering about it's possible connotations (at least in relation to where GG's character as a footballer is concerned). It was the last thing COR as Irish team manager needed at the time so is bound to left a bad impression ... "how he conducts himself". I think it would be fair to say that at the time GG was immature and stupid (no more). In the same way Cantona, DiCanio or Zidane were despite their footballing genius. Lets leave it at that as I dare not use other GAA players as examples. Better if the issue was never raised, but I think Myles brought it up in the context of the "class" debate rather than through malice.

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2011, 07:46:34 PM
I've played with and against protestants (which sort of an equivalent in Cavan) all my life and no matter what happened I never resorted to language like that. Apology was issued after ozzy media went crazy, was it not. He was removed of the Ireland panel too even with the apology. Class is not a word most sane people would use with geraghty. Hardy, unplug the keyboard carefully, wash with water and leave on a radiator to dry. The Puke is a divil to get out. Jinxy, what's to be bitter about?

He apologised and shook hands straight after the game.
He was taken off the panel because the media here went bananas.
The media in Australia were much more reserved and it wasn't a big deal over there.
If you were any use you'd be playing.