Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

regal

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2011, 10:04:42 AM
Top Meath officials Barney Allen and Cyril Creavin are set to fill the selector roles vacated by Liam Harnan and Barry Callaghan on Sunday night, according to a report.

The Irish Independent reports that County Board Chairman Allen and Secretary Creavin will take over on an interim basis with Meath's first Championship match of the summer - a clash with 2010 All-Ireland semi-finalists Kildare - set to take place in less than two weeks.

This sounds like a joke. If meath are happy enough enough to employ grimley, banty & mcelkennon as a management team then why not let them manage. Does anyone actually think that these 3 boys are going to listen to 2 county board suits (when i imagine then didnt listen to 2 former meath players).

What position does Geraghty play for his club???

Jinxy

I'd say the two boys are taking up the roles to just draw a line under the issue rather than having to trawl around the county for people willing to step up. I'd be very surprised to see either of them in Bantys ear telling him to bring on a sub or make a switch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 26, 2011, 11:36:23 AM
I'd say the two boys are taking up the roles to just draw a line under the issue rather than having to trawl around the county for people willing to step up. I'd be very surprised to see either of them in Bantys ear telling him to bring on a sub or make a switch.
[/b]

Maybe that was part of the problem with the last pair - they didn't have Banty's ear either ?.

meathie

Dont think its true with Allen and Creavin both have denied it as rubbish talk. The saga continuesd. Id say Banty is in no hurry to fill these positions, happy with his lot as it is.

Jinxy

squire_in_navy_slacks

Ill be backing meath to beat kildare................. kildare are highly overarted imho and the royals love being well and truely written off..................

DB_An_Mhi

Oh to be a fly on the Meath bus and training camp. Harnan and Banty were never going to work well together. A seven month itch!

Don't be so hard on Liam. We can all get worked up and do certain things out of frustration, more because we are passionate about something, rather than acting out of self-interest.

Hardy

As far as I understand Thastheball, it seems things came to a head over the question of whether Geraghty is dis-pickable.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 27, 2011, 11:09:51 AM
Ill be backing meath to beat kildare................. kildare are highly overarted imho and the royals love being well and truely written off..................

Who are these people over-rating Kildare? Killdare people - that would be a negative, pundits - not a hope, sure Wicklow have better forwads according to TSG, journalists - can't think of any!!

So who are these people or is this just typical GAA speak? Where one team is over rated and the underdogs have a point to prove...and nail that to the dressing room wall..
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

Thought O'Rourke's column on Sunday was particularly vicious myself. Two quotes for me stood out:

This one in relation to Giles and Geraghty:
Apparently, Darren Fay was also approached about a return but he was sensible enough to see it was not a runner. If anyone from the previous era was being looked for it should have been Trevor Giles. Last autumn he was one of the best, if not the best, player in the county senior final when Skryne beat Seneschalstown in a dramatic match. No one would complain if he was asked and nobody would be respected more by the current players as he has a touch of class in how he conducts himself.
You'd have thought that O'Rourke would know from his contacts in Skryne that Giles had given up training and playing completely and is in no position to do anything and the not so subtle attack on GG's "character" in the last sentences

This one re the structures:
A bit of planning is badly needed and this is why I have advocated a full-time chief executive who would have the time and vision to give proper direction. This idea is being resisted by the county board executive despite the fact that there is funding available at central level for this purpose. Why this is so is beyond me as it would strengthen their roles rather than weaken them. The sign of good men is always demonstrated by their willingness to bring in people who know more than they do.

Still pitching for this role ???

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 27, 2011, 12:56:59 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 27, 2011, 11:09:51 AM

Who are these people over-rating Kildare? Killdare people - that would be a negative, pundits - not a hope, sure Wicklow have better forwads according to TSG, journalists - can't think of any!!

So who are these people or is this just typical GAA speak? Where one team is over rated and the underdogs have a point to prove...and nail that to the dressing room wall..

Ye think ye are so great.

ross matt

Quote from: Declan on May 31, 2011, 01:43:57 PM
Thought O'Rourke's column on Sunday was particularly vicious myself. Two quotes for me stood out:

Apparently, Darren Fay was also approached about a return but he was sensible enough to see it was not a runner. If anyone from the previous era was being looked for it should have been Trevor Giles. Last autumn he was one of the best, if not the best, player in the county senior final when Skryne beat Seneschalstown in a dramatic match. No one would complain if he was asked and nobody would be respected more by the current players as he has a touch of class in how he conducts himself.
You'd have thought that O'Rourke would know from his contacts in Skryne that Giles had given up training and playing completely and is in no position to do anything and the not so subtle attack on GG's "character" in the last sentences

A bit of planning is badly needed and this is why I have advocated a full-time chief executive who would have the time and vision to give proper direction. This idea is being resisted by the county board executive despite the fact that there is funding available at central level for this purpose. Why this is so is beyond me as it would strengthen their roles rather than weaken them. The sign of good men is always demonstrated by their willingness to bring in people who know more than they do.

Yeah Declan. I recall reading the article on Sunday and the "touch of class" reference did seem to be not just praise for Giles but also a put down for Geraghty.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ross matt on May 31, 2011, 03:47:59 PM

Yeah Declan. I recall reading the article on Sunday and the "touch of class" reference did seem to be not just praise for Giles but also a put down for Geraghty.

would you think it is right to say geraghty had a touch of class?

DB_An_Mhi

Well most of us (as relative strangers) could only form an opinion of him purely in footballing terms, not as a human being. And what we think would be formed solely by his actions on the pitch, not on a training ground, in a dressing room or in his day to day life. In footballing terms, a flawed genius. I'm sure in Colm's and many other eyes, in addition to been a great footballer, you would also have to be something of a role model for youngsters (on and off the pitch), to have a touch of class.

ross matt

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 31, 2011, 10:33:36 PM
Quote from: ross matt on May 31, 2011, 03:47:59 PM

would you think it is right to say geraghty had a touch of class?

I dont know Myles. Definitely as a player he had skill wise. Not sure about him personally. I'm only saying what I (and Declan) picked up from O'Rourke's comment about Giles.