Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I think Banty is more important to the CB, since he is the manager right now.

IF they move against him before this championship starts or want to upset the apple cart at this stage we'll lose more than a manger I think we will lose a lot of players as well.

Best they sit on any misgivings they have till after the playing season.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 23, 2011, 12:45:53 PM
I'd hope that GG is utilised in the defence where Math need experienced and fast/tough players.
No point in playing Jamie Queeney at FB/whb when the lad is an out and out FF scoring machine!!

Jeez, its never dull with the Meath football team is it !
fecking great this time of the year:)

I feel like starting a "Ciaran McDonald is back" thread !!!!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: thejuice on May 20, 2011, 04:04:30 PM
Geraghty was managing a club in Westmeath last I heard and Fay was playing Junior football and was hardly fit enough for that apparently.

Managing Castledaly and has moved training so that it doesn't conflict with his county training. He didn't show up for the challenge game in Rosemount, neither did the Westmeath team with the honourable exception of Darragh Daly.

Wouldn't expect to see Fay come back, his legs were gone at inter county 3 years ago.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

Quote from: thejuice on May 23, 2011, 02:07:16 PM
I think Banty is more important to the CB, since he is the manager right now.

IF they move against him before this championship starts or want to upset the apple cart at this stage we'll lose more than a manger I think we will lose a lot of players as well.

Best they sit on any misgivings they have till after the playing season.

Well it's only two games ...

ross matt

Liam Hayes was on "Off the ball" on Newstalk earlier. Praised Banty for what he achieved with Monaghan but said he was never wanted by a significant amount of Meath supporters.

He said Geraghty was "a genuis of a player" but divisive in a dressingroom and was never loved or taken to the hearts of Meath supporters. Also mentioned his age being an issue and said recalling him is a sign of weakness that opposition will pick up on.

Some of his points made sense but I was surprised about GG being unpopular with supporters. Usually with bad boy types like him he's hated by opposing supporters and loved by his own.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ross matt on May 23, 2011, 09:27:56 PM
Liam Hayes was on "Off the ball" on Newstalk earlier. Praised Banty for what he achieved with Monaghan but said he was never wanted by a significant amount of Meath supporters.
He said Geraghty was "a genuis of a player" but divisive in a dressingroom and was never loved or taken to the hearts of Meath supporters. Also mentioned his age being an issue and said recalling him is a sign of weakness that opposition will pick up on.
Some of his points made sense but I was surprised about GG being unpopular with supporters. Usually with bad boy types like him he's hated by opposing supporters and loved by his own.
hayes being controversial again for he sake of it - has he another book coming out soon?
While a lot of meath folk didnt like GG personally - more or less everyone, inc people who despised him , admired him on the field for his ability. I hated playing against the cocky fcuker , because he was flippin brilliant.
I would reckon he is still as fit as most inter county players and as lean as a butchers dog.
he wont take long to get in shape. I havent seen him for an age , but i'd be surprised otherwise.
I only hope they play him in defence- where he is needed and imo , was where he played his best football.
some fecker when attacking from hb line ! I'd say he still has it. he knows how to hit anyhow. Meath need him.

thejuice

I don't normally say things like this about someone,

but Liam Hayes should SHUT UP!

If he he wants Meath to do well now the last thing he should be doing is stirring it.

Meath fans love Graham Geraghty by and large while Liam didn't take to him and vice versa, (he made it clear in an article about the Meath-Kerry 09 semi, and at the same time ruefully admitted that Meath needed someone like GG on the field).
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ross matt

Just to make it clear Lynchboy and The Juice .... Hayes DID actually say GG was a genuis of a player and that neutrals and Hayes included would pay just to see him play.  It was his personality and "baggage" he was referring to.

thejuice

Fair enough but I hope he added that the Meath team are behind Banty and plenty of the fans are happy for him to stay as it is for this championship at the least and are ready to row in behind the team in 2 weeks time.

ross matt

Quote from: thejuice on May 23, 2011, 10:05:03 PM
Fair enough but I hope he added that the Meath team are behind Banty and plenty of the fans are happy for him to stay as it is for this championship at the least and are ready to row in behind the team in 2 weeks time.

He said it was a disaster for the player's morale because they would be affected by the constant media attention and unavoidable family/friends etc gossip.

Jinxy

If county football teams were celebrities we'd probably be Charlie Sheen at this stage.
Without the "winning!" obviously.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orangemac

I would like to see Banty make a go of the Meath job but has any manager in GAA ever been under as much pressure from day one.

In a twisted kind of way it may circle the wagons and strengthen the team bond. The performance v Tyrone when the chips were down indicated the players were behind Banty.

rionach 4

Juice the players will row in behind Banty  They are already doing that . While I am not from meath i would have a few close connections as to what is going on . Liam Harnan was not popular with the players according to my source . had he gotten his way he would have rid Meath of a lot of valuable players who he reckoned were to old  Nigel Crawford being one and believe it or not Joe Sheridan. Anyone according to Liam over 27 was goosed.. Banty and Liam did not see eye to eye nearly from the start but Banty brought him in to soften the controversy surrounding his own appointment . I believe liam Harnan was also in for the main job initially. liam's abrupt manner did not sit well with eveyone , I admired him as a footballer but some of the team meetings were  well scary stuff. \he didnt hold back and for some that may well be a good thing. liam read a statement to the players on the bus before they headed of to play a challenge game yesterday You can imagine Harnans reaction when he found out a 38 year old was coming into the panel.  He would never have agreed to it anyway and probably walked .. Yes Banty should have consulted him and fellow selector but the end result was going to be the same .  i believe Meath will be a major threat in Leinster I always admired them outside my own county and recall  their great rivalry with Dublin down through the years . This will blow over.  Banty is a shrewd guy I know he doent always do PC  but he is singleminded and maybe thats what the county need. You can say f off it's none of your business and your right it aint but Meath have given me and many others great pleasure outside following my ow n county  over a number of years . They wont be far away..

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice