Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2011, 10:52:57 AM
Banty is clearly a clown. How he got the Meath job I'll never know. What did he ever win as a manager?

The media, over, by providing a quote on anything they want, and many things they dont

Declan

Geraghty's been in flying form at club level but it'd be a greater comeback than Leinster's if he plays a full 70 mins in championship

magpie seanie

Maybe not 70 minutes but he could be devastating for a half I'd guess.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

PAULD123

So from the comments above it sounds like Geraghty is fit and still sharp, So why is it such a bad thing to call him into the squad and try him out? If he scores a goal everyone will say it was an inspired move. As I said -  being devil's advocate here but Geraghty was a quality player....surely having his quality in the panel (even as a sub) would not be a bad thing?

Don't people think they should give it a chance before condemning it?

magpie seanie

I think there are two seperate issues here with Banty being a clown the most important one for Meath's ambitions this year. Getting GG in is good but not telling your two selectors (who subsequently resign) is just plain stupid but typical.

thejuice

yeah, i don't think anyone has a problem with the Double G :P in the panel if he's up to it.

it's the fact that the Selectors were being completely disregarded seems to be the issue.

However if the County Board get rid of Banty at this juncture then they are a bigger bunch of clowns than I took them for.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

agorm

According to the Indo the players are filly behind Banty on this (hope that didnt come from Banty!).

Jinxy

Yeah, to be fair I haven't heard any rumours of discontent among the players.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: agorm on May 23, 2011, 12:19:27 PM
According to the Indo the players are filly behind Banty on this (hope that didnt come from Banty!).

Filly is not a word I'd use to describe a Meath player.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Players were fully behind Banty in Monaghan if you were to believe the press at that time.

They're now fully behind the new manager now.

lynchbhoy

I'd hope that GG is utilised in the defence where Math need experienced and fast/tough players.
No point in playing Jamie Queeney at FB/whb when the lad is an out and out FF scoring machine!!

Jeez, its never dull with the Meath football team is it !
fecking great this time of the year.  :)

Bingo

Quote from: orangeman on May 23, 2011, 12:41:24 PM

Players were fully behind Banty in Monaghan if you were to believe the press at that time.

They're now fully behind the new manager now.

The players that Banty knew were fully behind him were asked if they were fully behind him and press releases issued on their behalf....by Banty. But he gives players everything they want and has the professional set up that the players love, so largely they will be happy.

DB_An_Mhi

Geraghty's inclusion in the squad and possible appearance as an impact sub will certainly help ticket sales for Sunday week. I can just imagine it now, GG comes on in front of Hill 16, 30 minutes before the Dublin game. Will the Jackeens be still in the pub or will goldielocks get them to HQ on time.

irunthev

My issue here is that Banty puts a lot of emphasis on the expensive expertise he brings with him in the form of his coaches and stresses that these people are essential to the entire scheme of things. However, he then plucks a 38 year old from inter county obscurity, just weeks before the big stuff starts, a man who hasn't been through any of these highly expensive, scientific and supposedly essential training programmes and gives him a game. If I'm the man writing the cheques to cover the costs incurred by Meath, then I would be scratching my head. Obviously these training methods aren't so important after all!
The same happened last year when he took his head-stagger over the goalkeeper situation, it wasn't a stroke of genius by any means, but he got away with it.... it didn't backfire. Monaghan had spent a lot of money preparing their goalkeepers, and there is no denying they spent money on their keepers, only for him then to play someone who hadn't had a penny spent on him from a keeper training point of view. Again, if I'm the one writing the cheques, I 'm thinking what is all this nonsense about having expert trainers in to do expert jobs, when you are then prepared to fling someone in half an hour before a game on a gut feeling. If Banty survives, which I imagine he will, and if the Geraghty thing doesn't backfire (as it certainly isn't going to be the missing piece of the puzzle that will secure Sam), then Banty's blushes will be saved. However, I think there will be more fall out from this story. The likes of Harnan are of far more importance to the Meath CB delegates than Banty and his motley crew. I think this time Meath will look after their own.