Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on May 22, 2011, 03:38:50 PM
Quote from: thejuice on May 22, 2011, 03:36:32 PM
beat Galway in a challenge match last night and afterwards Harnan and Callaghan walked out. Thats the story anyway. What the f**k is going on?

It has been tweeted by LMFMRadio as well:
"Liam Harnan and Barry Callaghan have left Meath's backroom team"

Are GG and Fay are back as part of the management 'team'?
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Who knows? I wouldn't be surprised to see a tweet announcing Tony Cascarino as poker coach.

thejuice

Apparently Callaghan and Harnan were kept in the dark about Geraghty's selection to the squad.

You'd have to wonder what was going on, about 2 weeks ago the squad was announced. In the mean time players have come back, there has been trial games involving lads who I think were left off the squad previously. It might suggest that Callaghan and Harnan's input wasn't being held in much regard.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on May 22, 2011, 04:46:00 PM
Apparently Callaghan and Harnan were kept in the dark about Geraghty's selection to the squad.

You'd have to wonder what was going on, about 2 weeks ago the squad was announced. In the mean time players have come back, there has been trial games involving lads who I think were left off the squad previously. It might suggest that Callaghan and Harnan's input wasn't being held in much regard.

Maybe they wanted to play too?
MWWSI 2017

The Claw

What is Banty at lads. This is a joke. Knew is was a mistake appointing him.

get up there

em!!! bringing geraghty back takes the pressure and attention off the meath team after a bad league performance, maybe not a bad thing,, the championship will be a better one with geraghty back   ;)

orangeman

What a mess !!!!!!!!!!!! Meath county board have confirmed that the 2 lads have left.

Eamon O'Brien must be having some laugh to himself.

thejuice

We've gone done the path of lots of short term "rebuilding", transition", "restructuring", "reinventing the O'Neills" management tenures and it looks set to continue.

I said at the time that O'Brien should have been given the 3rd year of his reign but it seems the wise folk in Meath wanted success and they wanted it yesterday. To be fair Banty has an almost impossible job. People thought we had the players to win but not the men on the line. And so we cut O'Brien short and brought in an outsider to turn us into winners in a short period of time.

How many chances is Banty going to get, given he is an outsider, he was brought in to turn a team that was supposedly 80% there, to a team 100%, just that extra 20% that it takes to win an Al-Ireland.

I'm not going to judge Banty despite whats gone on until I've seen a ball kicked in the championship. Thats what I said when he was appointed and I'm saying it now. There might be something to all this madness, I've heard no complaints from the players even during the league.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mannix

agorm

Quote from: thejuice on May 22, 2011, 11:28:47 PM
We've gone done the path of lots of short term "rebuilding", transition", "restructuring", "reinventing the O'Neills" management tenures and it looks set to continue.

I said at the time that O'Brien should have been given the 3rd year of his reign but it seems the wise folk in Meath wanted success and they wanted it yesterday. To be fair Banty has an almost impossible job. People thought we had the players to win but not the men on the line. And so we cut O'Brien short and brought in an outsider to turn us into winners in a short period of time.

How many chances is Banty going to get, given he is an outsider, he was brought in to turn a team that was supposedly 80% there, to a team 100%, just that extra 20% that it takes to win an Al-Ireland.

I'm not going to judge Banty despite whats gone on until I've seen a ball kicked in the championship. Thats what I said when he was appointed and I'm saying it now. There might be something to all this madness, I've heard no complaints from the players even during the league.

Obviously very badly handled by Banty and he has possibly started a chain of events that will result in him losing his position.

However, lets not get  all positive about O'Brien here. In my opinion O'Brien was very negligent in not contacting Geraghty when he took over. I couldnt believe it. Look at Giggs , Colm O'Rourke etc. Geraghty would have been a huge asset to 'Brien and he might still be in a job and I cannot understand why he didnt think that Geraghty would have helped the team / panel.

PAULD123

Being devil's advocate here but Geraghty was a quality player. Is there a chance that he is still fit? If so then surely having his quality in the panel (even as a sub) would not be a bad thing?

Don't people think they should give it a chance before condemning it?

Mind you, perhaps Meath people have seen him play for his club and think he is no longer good enough?

Jinxy

He might not be at the same level of fitness but I'd still love to see a high ball dropping into him at the edge of the square.
He makes defenders nervous.
Even if he does nothing they'll have to watch him like a hawk.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Banty is clearly a clown. How he got the Meath job I'll never know. What did he ever win as a manager?

Donnellys Hollow

It might have only been a glorified challenge match but Geraghty looked very sharp in Anthony Rainbow's testimonial before Christmas.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 23, 2011, 11:03:27 AM
It might have only been a glorified challenge match but Geraghty looked very sharp in Anthony Rainbow's testimonial before Christmas.

Geraghty is a thoroughbred in terms of athleticism. His fitness should be fine.