So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

BennyHarp

The black card was a ridiculous implementation based onhalf arsed logic. Sending someone from the field of play was always a far too big of a punishment for some of the black card offences and refs could see the craziness of this at times when big calls were needed. Cooper should have gone by the letter of the law but in any sane contact, fast paced field sport, it's utterly ridiculous that it is a sending off offence. A yellow card, implemented effectively is enough for all the offences currently listed as black card. At least when the offence occurs everyone will know what card is coming, rather than the fecking lottery of the current system. I had a degree of sympathy with Deegan yesterday for his non issuing of the black to Small, for such a silly infraction, a lad shouldn't be leaving the pitch. The fact that it was an all I reland final magnifies the situation. Also, mistakes are too easy made, Keegan's was not a black card, however he really should have picked up more than one or two yellows over the course of the two games.

Make the game more simple to ref and the refereeing standard will improve. I am fecking dreading the "mark"! 
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Black card rules are fairly simple. Too hell with pundits and fans. Referees have no excuse for messing up and wussing out.

Referees have been using yellow cards now when it is neither a black or a yellow. A yellow is dangerous play - not for a garden foul.

The penalty for most fouls is a free and a ticking if it is deliberate. Persistent deliberate fouling/ticking is a yellow. Yellow and another deliberate foul is a red.

Blacks are for dragging a player down deliberately but not for a jersey tug or an incidental foul. Also for a deliberate hand trip or foot trip or taking a runner out or third man tackle. Also for sledging/verbal abuse.

Not rocket science but as usual referees bring their own interpretation to the table and that is where the problem is

maigheo

Your right Moysider ,its a fairly simple rule but its not helped by pundits like O Rourke saying the ref should leave his cards in the dressing room before the drawn all ireland and JIM McGuinness stating that McCarthy should not have been black carded when it was a text book case of the use of the black card.

Bord na Mona man

It's the punishments that are all wrong. Like I've said a few dozen times, frees in front of the goal would be more appropriate for most offences.

Take Bernard Brogan on Saturday for example. Right near the end he commited a text book black card foul to disrupt a potential attack. Deegan didn't even bother carding him as it would have suited Dublin even more to do so.
Surely in that instance the prospect of conceding a tap over free would have been a more real deterant?

My 2nd biggest gripe with the black card is the arrogant, high handed way it was imposed on the association by Liam O'Neill. Despite it already been deemed a failure a decade ago.

seafoid

I think all referees should be Protestant. That would cut out an awful lot of shite.

five points

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 03, 2016, 03:46:09 AM
It's the punishments that are all wrong. Like I've said a few dozen times, frees in front of the goal would be more appropriate for most offences.
Nail on head.

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 03, 2016, 03:46:09 AM
My 2nd biggest gripe with the black card is the arrogant, high handed way it was imposed on the association by Liam O'Neill. Despite it already been deemed a failure a decade ago.

O'Neill's arrogance as President knew no bounds. Everything he touched was diminished by it.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 02, 2016, 04:56:53 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 02, 2016, 11:09:32 AM

Is that what happened Parson's eye ?.

Does anyone know what happened that? Strange that there was nothing about it.
Anyone ? I didn't see any after match stuff

westbound

Quote from: Dire Ear on October 03, 2016, 02:35:05 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 02, 2016, 04:56:53 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 02, 2016, 11:09:32 AM

Is that what happened Parson's eye ?.

Does anyone know what happened that? Strange that there was nothing about it.
Anyone ? I didn't see any after match stuff

there has been absolutely nothing about this anywhere, so I can only assume that it was just an accidental clash somewhere?

Or else the dublin media are doing a big cover up job!!!!!!  :P :P :P :P

Esmarelda

I think there's a campaign to get rid of the black card and it's been given momentum by the pure ignorance of some viewers, no more so than some of the pundits on RTE .

I'm not a major fan of the rule as it was never going to cut out cynical fouling in the last few minutes of a game when the result was in the balance.

However, the rule is there to stop intentional fouling. Every player knows that, in theory, if he tries to make a legitimate tackle he won't be black-carded. If he intentionally fouls a player then there's a good chance he'll see black.

I have no sympathy for Cooper yesterday as he got what he deserved. There was no need for the trip. Small should have got one but I think Keegan's was harsh as I don't think he actually dragged Connolly to the ground. Mistakes are made like any other type of foul but when a black card is given incorrectly then threads such as this rear their head.

yellowcard

What chance have the referee's if we can't definitively say which offences were black card offences and which weren't. Go to any match around the country now and you can often hear different supporters guessing whether it is going to be a yellow or a black card before the ref whips the card out of his pocket. It's like playing Russian roulette at times and the happy medium is to revisit the sin bin. The main reason it's abolition isn't being pushed forward in the media is because Brolly was intstrumental in getting it brought in and he won't accept that he was wrong and other pundits sat beside him are afraid to speak against it because of this reason. I would agree with Jim Gavin's post match comments in that the concept itself is fine, but the punishment for the player is often too excessive relative to the crime committed.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on October 03, 2016, 03:02:46 PM
What chance have the referee's if we can't definitively say which offences were black card offences and which weren't. Go to any match around the country now and you can often hear different supporters guessing whether it is going to be a yellow or a black card before the ref whips the card out of his pocket. It's like playing Russian roulette at times and the happy medium is to revisit the sin bin. The main reason it's abolition isn't being pushed forward in the media is because Brolly was intstrumental in getting it brought in and he won't accept that he was wrong and other pundits sat beside him are afraid to speak against it because of this reason. I would agree with Jim Gavin's post match comments in that the concept itself is fine, but the punishment for the player is often too excessive relative to the crime committed.
The main issue with the sin bin is that it is very hard to implement at club or underage level when there is only one official
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

yellowcard

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 03, 2016, 03:09:59 PM
The main issue with the sin bin is that it is very hard to implement at club or underage level when there is only one official

Why so? It has long been in existence in ladies football with good success. 

Esmarelda

I think the sin bin is a better option.

In relation to your point about not being able to say definitively whether it's a black card or not; I'd say we can call it just as much as we can with a red card offence.

Lee Keegan got a red a few years ago for a petulant kick in the semi-final. I think it was rescinded on a technicality but there was uproar that a player should miss a semi-final for such a little kick. Are little kicks and open handed slaps to the face red cards or not? Is distinguishing between them any different than doing so on black card issues?

Like I said, the black card is the new controversial rule in town and every chance possible to run it out of town is jumped on.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 03, 2016, 03:20:10 PM
I think the sin bin is a better option.

In relation to your point about not being able to say definitively whether it's a black card or not; I'd say we can call it just as much as we can with a red card offence.

Lee Keegan got a red a few years ago for a petulant kick in the semi-final. I think it was rescinded on a technicality but there was uproar that a player should miss a semi-final for such a little kick. Are little kicks and open handed slaps to the face red cards or not? Is distinguishing between them any different than doing so on black card issues?

Like I said, the black card is the new controversial rule in town and every chance possible to run it out of town is jumped on.

But the black card ones are occurring far more frequently within a game.
There are maybe 3-4 at least incidents in every single game and we are lucky if 50% are called correctly
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either