So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

AZOffaly

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 30, 2016, 12:23:49 PM
Bernard Flynn isn't a fan....

Bernard Flynn finds Jarlath Burns' defence of the black card rather unpalatable.

The former Meath attacker is adamant that the controversial third card has to go and insists that his fellow county man David Gough was right to keep it in his pocket during Sunday's classic All-Ireland semi-final between Dublin and Kerry.

Referring in rather colourful terms to the chairman of the Standing Rules Committee, Flynn told RTE:

"Jarlath Burns came out this week and I nearly got sick and threw up on top of the paper when I read it, with all due respect, and he said the black card is doing its job – it is not doing its job.

"It has to be got rid of ASAP. Everyone is saying it, managers and players alike. A good referee will use the yellow and red and that's all you need.

"David Gough... in his mind, he said, 'there's no black card in my game today'. That's what made it a great game. The way he refereed it was one of the main reasons we got a great game.

"I thought the referee tried his best to let it go. The Kerry people won't be too happy with one or two decisions, a few 50-50 calls went against them. I just thought it was something special.

"He did everything he could to say, get rid of the black card and he refereed the game the way it should be refereed."

Uummm...

muppet

Great, another champion of the UFC-isation of our games.

'Let the game flow' = let's keep moving towards no rules.
MWWSI 2017

omagh_gael

He's got a point though, David Gough clearly didn't want to use the black card in that game. Off the top of my head he gave a yellow to Fenton for a clearly third man block away from play and to McMahon for screaming abuse at the umpire following Kerry's second goal. I'm not being a Tymoanie here but we had two players black carded in an ulster final that weren't as obvious as the two in the semi. Would love to see an analysis of the average amount of black cards given in AI semi/finals versus first round games since it's inception. Maybe I am wrong but the only one standing out for me in the AI county/club final was Ritchie Feeney a few years back.

BTW, I think Gough reffed the game fantastically on Sunday and he contributed greatly to the development of the spectacle.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 30, 2016, 12:23:49 PM
Bernard Flynn isn't a fan....

Bernard Flynn finds Jarlath Burns' defence of the black card rather unpalatable.

The former Meath attacker is adamant that the controversial third card has to go and insists that his fellow county man David Gough was right to keep it in his pocket during Sunday's classic All-Ireland semi-final between Dublin and Kerry.

Referring in rather colourful terms to the chairman of the Standing Rules Committee, Flynn told RTE:

"Jarlath Burns came out this week and I nearly got sick and threw up on top of the paper when I read it, with all due respect, and he said the black card is doing its job – it is not doing its job.

"It has to be got rid of ASAP. Everyone is saying it, managers and players alike. A good referee will use the yellow and red and that's all you need.

"David Gough... in his mind, he said, 'there's no black card in my game today'. That's what made it a great game. The way he refereed it was one of the main reasons we got a great game.

"I thought the referee tried his best to let it go. The Kerry people won't be too happy with one or two decisions, a few 50-50 calls went against them. I just thought it was something special.

"He did everything he could to say, get rid of the black card and he refereed the game the way it should be refereed."

Exaggerate much Bernanrd? Since when did he become a spokeperson for the GAA fraternity. 

omagh_gael

Quote from: muppet on August 30, 2016, 03:02:15 PM

C'mon Muppet, hardly UFC-isation. There wasn't a dirty/nasty stroke pulled in that entire game but some other refs would have sucked the life out of it. The McMenamin challenge was a result of a dub player crossing Gough's view at the moment of impact and I think he gave the tackler the benefit of the doubt. A wrong decision but entirely understandable one.

muppet

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 30, 2016, 03:08:00 PM

C'mon Muppet, hardly UFC-isation. There wasn't a dirty/nasty stroke pulled in that entire game but some other refs would have sucked the life out of it. The McMenamin challenge was a result of a dub player crossing Gough's view at the moment of impact and I think he gave the tackler the benefit of the doubt. A wrong decision but entirely understandable one.

Did you notice the any of the scraps out of camera shot, as the ball went up and down the field, particularly near the end? Players will do what they get away with, and in that game they could get away with anything. The 'Gough viewpoint' for McManamon is pointed to by lots of people, but I wouldn't accept that as definite. And anyway what about the nearby linesman?
MWWSI 2017

Esmarelda

Quote from: muppet on August 30, 2016, 03:17:20 PM

Did you notice the any of the scraps out of camera shot, as the ball went up and down the field, particularly near the end? Players will do what they get away with, and in that game they could get away with anything. The 'Gough viewpoint' for McManamon is pointed to by lots of people, but I wouldn't accept that as definite. And anyway what about the nearby linesman?
Muppet, did you think that McManamon's tackle should have been a black card?

Rossfan

Yellow card if not shoulder to shoulder,  red card if Ref considered it dangerous play.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omagh_gael

Those sort of scraps will always break out when approaching the climax of a hugely significant game regardless of the referee, IMO. To be fair to Gough he tried his best to give it room to breathe and I think he found the balance as best he could. Perfection is impossible in his trade. If Tyrone were in Kerry's shoes i'd find it hard to agree, regarding Gough, as my emotion would cloud any rationality but as a neutral I really feel he should be applauded.

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 30, 2016, 03:18:27 PM

Muppet, did you think that McManamon's tackle should have been a black card?

No I didn't think it was a black card. Debatable whether it was even a yellow, though I would lean towards that colour card. But it was definitely a free, that is all I am saying.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/pat-mcenaney-black-card-is-doing-its-job-421875.html

"That tackle by Shane Enright, even the crowd knew that was a black card. The commentators knew it too but David Gough didn't show it.

Irish News analyst said yesterday that no one knows what colour is coming out of the ref's pocket anymore and it is time to bin the black card.

blewuporstuffed

I get the feeling a lot of people are coming round to the conclusion that the black card is a complete mess.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 20, 2016, 11:58:38 AM
I get the feeling a lot of people are coming round to the conclusion that the black card is a complete mess.

We need another rule change championed by Magee and Brolly. Cleary the last knee-jerk isn't working.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

If the best referees in the country are making a hames of the black card rule, then the ordinary refs up and down the country can be forgiven for doing the same. Tomas Se said tonight that football has become impossible to referee. Few would argue with him.