So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Hound

What Cooper did was feck all. A little annoying shoulder into the back. Boyle did the very same to Connolly after Connolly had picked himself off the ground after losing the ball in the corner of the Hill/Cusack part of the pitch. And I'm sure there were a few similar instances too. Worthy of a noting, not a yellow card.

I would have given SOS a yellow or red (probably yellow) not black.
Of course Mayo would not have got the goal at that time had the black not happened. But in hindsight that might not have been a bad thing for them and anyone's guess how the game would have played out. I thought Seamie was poor the first day but was doing much better in the replay.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on September 07, 2015, 04:13:36 PM
What Cooper did was feck all. A little annoying shoulder into the back. Boyle did the very same to Connolly after Connolly had picked himself off the ground after losing the ball in the corner of the Hill/Cusack part of the pitch. And I'm sure there were a few similar instances too. Worthy of a noting, not a yellow card.

I would have given SOS a yellow or red (probably yellow) not black.
Of course Mayo would not have got the goal at that time had the black not happened. But in hindsight that might not have been a bad thing for them and anyone's guess how the game would have played out. I thought Seamie was poor the first day but was doing much better in the replay.

Agree not much in it and O Shea shouldn't have reacted but once you book one for off the ball shenanigans then you should book the other. Especially given he instigated it and it was right under the nose of the linesman who made a hames of the decision.

Yeah, Mayo probably pushed for home too soon.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

From the Bunker

Red, Yellow, Black -  it's gas all three Cards have been mentioned and this with the benefit of hindsight and multiple replays. God our game is in a mess.

Wildweasel74

Red card, its not a red card offences, Jesus did half you`s play any Gaelic football at all in your time, cant believe some of the calls in reference to certain tackles. Coopers in the first game was a red card offence just like the Galways hurlers yesterday

moysider

It's a yellow.

O Shea shouldn t have reacted of course. But you could argue that Cooper deliberately shunting into O Shea well after he released the ball was the cynical 'black card' challenge. If that was from the front rather than back it would have been a nailed on black. So what's  the difference? The hit still interfered with O Shea's momentum and contribution at that time and was deliberate. A cheap shot and I have to say Cooper was brilliant how he reacted when O Shea turned on him. He got a great result.

I d argue that Cooper should have been given the black because he took player out off the ball and Seamie a yellow for his retaliation.

If Mayo had won I don t think SOS had enough cards to keep him out of final but if he did decide to appeal that card ( I actually think he should anyway), he would get off. He got wrong card. If he got a yellow - it was a yellow. If he got a red - harsh. But black was introduced fouling that interfered with the the flow of the game. Unfortunately another ref. and his assistants cobble up decisions. The game is a mess. At this stage it's like a magician doing card tricks. Guess the card.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Jimmy's in agreement.

"It should be acknowledged that Saturday's match was a marvellous game of football. The referee, Eddie Kinsella, officiated really well, except for the black card he issued to Seamus O'Shea. I felt that it was a wrong interpretation of the rule and that it ought to have been a yellow card. In my opinion, he didn't cynically take the Dublin player to the ground. He threw him aside after an off-the ball altercation. It robbed Mayo of a critically important midfield figure and it is a shame that the black card, which has been prone to consistently problematic interpretations, can have such major bearing on a match of this magnitude."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mayo-s-game-plan-came-up-short-at-crucial-moment-1.2343465
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 08, 2015, 02:49:27 PM
Jimmy's in agreement.

"It should be acknowledged that Saturday's match was a marvellous game of football. The referee, Eddie Kinsella, officiated really well, except for the black card he issued to Seamus O'Shea. I felt that it was a wrong interpretation of the rule and that it ought to have been a yellow card. In my opinion, he didn't cynically take the Dublin player to the ground. He threw him aside after an off-the ball altercation. It robbed Mayo of a critically important midfield figure and it is a shame that the black card, which has been prone to consistently problematic interpretations, can have such major bearing on a match of this magnitude."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mayo-s-game-plan-came-up-short-at-crucial-moment-1.2343465
And I would agree with Jimmy
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stew

Yellow and red is all there should be, this black card nonsense is unnecessary, simplify things for these referees not complicate them by giving them more options upon which to decide a players fate!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on September 08, 2015, 08:16:17 PM
Yellow and red is all there should be, this black card nonsense is unnecessary, simplify things for these referees not complicate them by giving them more options upon which to decide a players fate!

If that's the case, then enforce the rules. The reason the black card came in was because those pissy drag downs out the field were getting ticks or nothing at all. Give a yellow and it might stop it.

ThroughTheLaces

Would a sin bin not be a better solution for the black than sending a player off? It means the player / team will still get punished for cynical play but also leaves that should the referee make a mistake with his decision then it is not a permanent punishment. Its hard to not to feel sorry for somebody that genuinely makes a clumsy challenge and gets a black card. Possibly having trained for months on end to have his season ended by one stupid mistake.

I don't think there is any other sport in the world where the rules are tinkered with so much. And as if the rules weren't hard enough for the referees they introduce, in my opinion, a very blurry rule that again leaves it up to the referees discretion. The black card has caused referees more and more hassle since it has been introduced and their job has become an even more thankless one.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Rossfan

The GAA democratically threw out sin bin proposals some years ago.
I suspect one reason for that would be the difficulty of implementing it in a U14 Div 4 League game on a wet Tuesday in Ballinameen when you'd be lucky to get a Ref never mind a neutral Sideline official.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ThroughTheLaces

I do remember it being discussed alright, but if there's a ref with a stopwatch then in my opinion its a better solution than the current one. In saying that, anything is a better solution than the current one.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Syferus

Being more lenient is no solution at all. A black that ends the player's game and prevents a sub being introduced for ten minutes might cut a lot of the abuse of the system we currently see.

orangeman

Some interesting interpretations of the carta dubh today in the club semi finals today in particular the Clonmel game.

:o