So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Rossfan

Read the Oul Treoir Oifigiuil ;)
5.10 To deliberately pull down an opponent.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 05, 2015, 11:46:05 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 05, 2015, 11:37:49 PM
Yes, it was a black. Can't understand why people saying it wasn't. Deliberate take down.

That's not the rule, there was no cynicism in it, it was a straight yellow (it was completely off the ball).

That's exactly the rule, Fear.  No mention of cynicism in the rule either.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 06, 2015, 12:20:31 AM
Yes, it was a black. Can't understand why people saying it wasn't. Deliberate take down.

That's not the rule, there was no cynicism in it, it was a straight yellow (it was completely off the ball).

Agree that there's no explicit mention of 'cynicism' per se, but that was the whole raison d'etre of the black card's introduction, and this was completely off the ball, which kind of changes the interpretation I'd say.

Buy hey! The CCCC, CHC, CAC & DRA have difficulties with the interpretation, so we can cut ourselves a wee bit of slack!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 06, 2015, 12:27:49 AM

Agree that there's no explicit mention of 'cynicism' per se, but that was the whole raison d'etre of the black card's introduction, and this was completely off the ball, which kind of changes the interpretation I'd say.

Buy hey! The CCCC, CHC, CAC & DRA have difficulties with the interpretation, so we can cut ourselves a wee bit of slack!  ;)

The rule is "a deliberate pull down". It can't be much clearer no mention of on or off the ball... Should it matter? Kinsella was very good today I thought fair play!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2015, 12:49:55 AM
The rule is "a deliberate pull down". It can't be much clearer no mention of on or off the ball... Should it matter? Kinsella was very good today I thought fair play!

Agreed, he was very good. Don't agree with the rest though, and I'm sure I'd have the DRA on my side; absolutely cast iron. And yes, of course it matters (that it was nowhere near the in-play ball).

Wildweasel74

that ain't a pull down, that was a manhandle and a throw down, a yellow card offence,  bet it ain't covered under the black card rule, Refs seem to make these decisions up as they go along.

Fear ón Srath Bán

If the recently introduced black card didn't exist, would there still have been a sanction for Séamus O'Shea? Of course there would, a yellow  card.

The black card is not there to replace any penalty, sin é.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2015, 12:49:55 AM

He was very good and got this decision correct under the letter of the law. Under the spirit of the law he should have given a yellow card but that is the fault of the law makers. The black card was brought in so that we would have a rule to combat cynical play. What SOS did was not cynical play, it was retaliation to a dirty shoulder in the back from johnny cooper. Both players should have been yellow carded in the spirit of the rules of the game. again I'm not blaming the ref who had a great game. The unfortunate thing was that it was big turning point in the match as SOS was a big loss.

BennyHarp

If O'Se deserved a black card for a pull down then surely Cooper deserved one for the deliberate body check which instigated the incident? Was that not a deliberate attempt to stop him getting involved in the play?
That was never a square ball!!

orangeman

CHC have been busy.

It would be interesting to see how many black cards have been rescinded ( and yellows and reds as ell of course ) in this year's championship.

Stall the Bailer

The raison d'etre of the rule has nothing to do with it. That is only creating grey areas that are not needed and the deliberate part of the rule already does enough of that.
I'd guess there is no one who knows the raison d'etre for the introduction of every rule in the rule book. It is hard enough for players/referees to know what that actual rules are, never mind the reason for their introduction.
I think we can all he agree he deliberately fouled Cooper  (retaliating on Cooper's foul) and he also pulled him down.

Croí na hÉireann

He didn't pull him down though, he threw him to the floor.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Stall the Bailer

Was it not a pull and a throw? I must have a look at it again.

Fear ón Srath Bán

It was a straight yellow, no need for the black aspect.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 07, 2015, 03:35:24 PM
Was it not a pull and a throw? I must have a look at it again.

It was actually pretty dangerous, in that he grabbed him by the neck/face and forcefully threw him to the ground. 2 yellows. And the linesman looking straight  at them.  ::)

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...