So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

BluestackBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 07, 2014, 07:16:06 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 07, 2014, 03:04:23 AM
It was until referees had a chat amongst themselves and decided to ignore 90% of iron-clad black card offences and switch back to the good ol' ineffectual yellow. The application of the rule has been beyond a joke since the league, when it seemed like the referees were at least trying to apply it.

+1 The black card has been effectively ignored since the quarter finals and we have found out in the semi finals what we suspected all along, that there's not much wrong with the game as it is.

There were 2 black cards in the Donegal Dublin game & one in the Mayo Kerry game so I can't agree that it has been effectively ignored.

Also to say that there was nothing wrong with the game as it was, doesn't take into account the deterrent effect. The late blocking of runners alone has disappeared from the game & for that alone we have a lot to be grateful to the black card for.

I agree that the referees need to man up a bit when it comes to handing cards out but that is another issue altogether & not the fault of the idea itself.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 07, 2014, 10:16:53 AM
It was until referees had a chat amongst themselves and decided to ignore 90% of iron-clad black card offences and switch back to the good ol' ineffectual yellow. The application of the rule has been beyond a joke since the league, when it seemed like the referees were at least trying to apply it.

+1 The black card has been effectively ignored since the quarter finals and we have found out in the semi finals what we suspected all along, that there's not much wrong with the game as it is.

There were 2 black cards in the Donegal Dublin game & one in the Mayo Kerry game so I can't agree that it has been effectively ignored.

Also to say that there was nothing wrong with the game as it was, doesn't take into account the deterrent effect. The late blocking of runners alone has disappeared from the game & for that alone we have a lot to be grateful to the black card for.

I agree that the referees need to man up a bit when it comes to handing cards out but that is another issue altogether & not the fault of the idea itself.

It is the fault of the idea as it's made it virtually impossible to ref as so many incidents that occur can, at quick glance could be black cards. Last weeks excellent semi finals had nothing to do with the black cards rule as the was as much cynicism as there ever was. I'm not criticising the game but the second half of ET in the Kerry game was riddled with black cards and thankfully the ref chose to ignore.
That was never a square ball!!

David McKeown

Yeah I think this is one of those rules that simply because it exists, rather than because it's implemented has cut down on a lot of what it was meant to prevent. It still does need tweaked though. The Emmet Bolton black card v Monaghan being a prime example. Letter of the law black card but clearly not why the rule was brought in.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rossfan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 07, 2014, 10:06:19 AM
Quote from: Zulu on September 07, 2014, 10:01:37 AM
It has largely eliminated off the ball blocking and has proved an effective deterrent to pulling lads to the ground. There has been issues with its application but it has proved to be an undoubted success over all. It was never going to be a perfect success but it has been an improvement on what's gone before.

I would tend to agree with this.  It has seen a better style of football.  It does create frustration sometimes when it is not implemented correctly but so do all rules.  After year 1 I think it is a success and as we get used to it we will see it working out better again.
+1.
Some Referees need to get some  Training though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BluestackBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 07, 2014, 10:22:04 AM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 07, 2014, 10:16:53 AM

It is the fault of the idea as it's made it virtually impossible to ref as so many incidents that occur can, at quick glance could be black cards. Last weeks excellent semi finals had nothing to do with the black cards rule as the was as much cynicism as there ever was. I'm not criticising the game but the second half of ET in the Kerry game was riddled with black cards and thankfully the ref chose to ignore.

I'm not sure I agree with you that the second half was "riddled" with black card offences.

There are only 5 offences that merit a black card.

1 Deliberate pull down.
2 Deliberate trip.
3 Deliberate body block.
4 Verbal abuse of another player.
5 Verbal abuse of an official.

I have yet to see anyone get a card for verbal abuse.
The deliberate body block, which was a real curse in the game, has all but disappeared though Neil McGee got one last Sunday.
Fionn Fitzgerald got a card for his deliberate trip but in truth you rarely saw that in the game anyway.
The deliberate pull down is the most contentious call & the one which referees seem slowest to make, but to say that the second half of extra time was "riddled" with them is over egging things a bit.

Where some are getting the black card wrong is that there has to be deliberate, cynical intent to commit the foul with no attempt made to play the ball for it to be handed out. Truth be told we don't see that many of those challenges any more & the threat of a black card has to be thanked for that.

TabClear

It has definitely got rid of the 3rd man body check that was becoming a real issue in the game. You see players now with hands in the air as a player runs past just to make it clear they are not interfering with the run.

All in all I think it has worked well but like every rule the referees need to be consistent. People might disagree with how the rule is applied butas long as it's consistently applied players know what to expect.

Hardy

Quote from: TabClear on September 07, 2014, 08:09:49 PM
You see players now with hands in the air as a player runs past just to make it clear they are not interfering with the run.

You say it like it's a good thing.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Hardy on September 07, 2014, 09:28:05 PM
You see players now with hands in the air as a player runs past just to make it clear they are not interfering with the run.

It is a good thing if the player making the run doesn't have the ball.

TabClear

It is. It encourages running off the ball and a quicker game. If it cuts out cowardly checks designed to take out a player who's concentrating on getting a return pass or supporting an attack I'm all for it.

What's your problem with it?

trileacman

Quote from: TabClear on September 07, 2014, 10:38:43 PM

It is. It encourages running off the ball and a quicker game. If it cuts out cowardly checks designed to take out a player who's concentrating on getting a return pass or supporting an attack I'm all for it.

Ya see "cowardly checks designed to take out a player" are a bit of a Meath speciality.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Quote from: trileacman on September 07, 2014, 11:13:19 PM
Quote from: TabClear on September 07, 2014, 10:38:43 PM

Ya see "cowardly checks designed to take out a player" are a bit of a Meath speciality.

+1  ;D >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister

Hardy

It's a man's game. The likes of that assault on a defenceless Brendan Reilly we take in our stride.

Tyrone papers please copy.

rrhf

BluestackBoy

The lack of the black card was noticeable in yesterday's hurling final where the two tackles that led to the Tipperary penalties would have both been stone wall black cards in football.

Just saying like.....