Lurgan

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2017, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 31, 2020, 09:51:36 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 31, 2020, 08:54:12 PM
Moved to Lurgan last month (eventually), and there's been a hike in dissident activity and Covid infections since then. Perfect timing  ;D

What's up with the dizzies? Was it them that burned out the delivery van on the tracks at Lake St.? Or just random young gulpins with too much to drink?

Is there a difference?

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 31, 2020, 09:59:37 PM
Moved to Lurgan last month (eventually), and there's been a hike in dissident activity and Covid infections since then. Perfect timing  ;D

Funny Fortwilliam has gotten an awful lot quieter.....hmmmm? ;D

I was also wondering why I hadn't seen here skulking around, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

:)

Things have quietened down a bit this week...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rois

Quote from: Orior on September 01, 2020, 11:20:33 AM

I was also wondering why I hadn't seen here skulking around, lol.
Ha - never fear, my younger sister is installed in the Demesne, there's still two sisters in BT15.

Eamonnca1

Soyes Mill has been demolished. The oldest industrial building in County Armagh, dating from 1830. Was used until recent times by light industry and small businesses. A shame.

JimStynes

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 10, 2021, 01:28:23 AM
Soyes Mill has been demolished. The oldest industrial building in County Armagh, dating from 1830. Was used until recent times by light industry and small businesses. A shame.

That whole piece of land across from St. Peter's is terrible looking all the same. Another sad sight is St. Michael's school being demolished. I had nothing but happy memories from that school. They'll need to make St. Ronan's work after all the messing about they've done with that site over the past 10 years.

Rois

We're up opposite the St Michael's site, but selfishly glad the school's been torn down, it was an eyesore left to decay there. My husband lamented the ruin of the lawn out front that was apparently kept really well by the nuns? It became a drinking site and possible dissident gun storage area.
Could do with a footpath upgrade now, which I believe is coming sometime soon.

lurganblue

Quote from: Rois on June 10, 2021, 08:54:44 AM
We're up opposite the St Michael's site, but selfishly glad the school's been torn down, it was an eyesore left to decay there. My husband lamented the ruin of the lawn out front that was apparently kept really well by the nuns? It became a drinking site and possible dissident gun storage area.
Could do with a footpath upgrade now, which I believe is coming sometime soon.

Yes I think I saw they plan on an improved footpath right out to St Teresa's PS.

The handling of the school situation remains a disaster IMO.  It is good to see that they are finally starting some kind of progress.  The traffic out your way when it opens will be unbelievable.

Rois

Add the 40-odd houses they are building in beside us and same just below us 🙈 I think our development entrance is after the planned school entrances, main gate supposed to be off North Circular?

JimStynes

I don't know how 1500 students and staff is going to cause some traffic congestion up there. Plus the usual St. Teresa's traffic as well. Those houses and new builds up beside you are lovely Rois.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: JimStynes on June 10, 2021, 06:00:29 AM

That whole piece of land across from St. Peter's is terrible looking all the same. Another sad sight is St. Michael's school being demolished. I had nothing but happy memories from that school. They'll need to make St. Ronan's work after all the messing about they've done with that site over the past 10 years.

The nuns must have liked you then. If your parents were local business owners then they rolled out the red carpet for you, but if you were ordinary working class they treated you like dirt. Some people came out of that place traumatised. I was one of them.

I hope the new school is a success.

JimStynes

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 10, 2021, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on June 10, 2021, 06:00:29 AM

The nuns must have liked you then. If your parents were local business owners then they rolled out the red carpet for you, but if you were ordinary working class they treated you like dirt. Some people came out of that place traumatised. I was one of them.

I hope the new school is a success.

There were no nuns there when I went there. Great teachers like Seamus Heffron. I've not spoken  anyone around my age who hated St Mick's.

Eamonnca1

He was one of the better ones. Respected his pupils, knew how to teach, and was good craic.

In my day the teachers could be a bit hit-and-miss. The good ones were very good, but god help you if you got any of the bad ones.

tonto1888

Quote from: Rois on June 10, 2021, 12:57:34 PM
Add the 40-odd houses they are building in beside us and same just below us 🙈 I think our development entrance is after the planned school entrances, main gate supposed to be off North Circular?

Are you in foxley? My sister lives there

Rois

Yep, moved in last yr. Which number?