NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

True, but you can keep on relying on them till you can't. We'll see soon enough what they bring this year.
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 31, 2024, 08:40:52 PM
Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2024, 07:17:25 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 31, 2024, 06:40:14 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on March 31, 2024, 05:19:04 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on March 31, 2024, 05:14:55 PMCan we assume Dublin defence be much tighter in the championship? Derry could/should have 5 goals..

Can imagine so as they won't be retaining the All Ireland be defending in the manner they have done today. 

Unless there are retirements, the defensive line has McCaffrey, McCarthy, Gannon, Fitzsimons and Cluxton all to return.

Dublin are missing the old guard. In the build up the media said this team would wipe the floor with everyone. Now they are beat they are missing x y or z. McCaffrey isn't a starter now. McCarthy, cluxton and Fitzsimmons maybe but they are old and will they be an improvement and they haven't played a tap all year.

Yes can't keep relying on the old guard, just because it worked last year doesn't mean history will repeat itself this summer.

True, but you can keep on relying on them till you can't. We'll see soon enough what they bring this year.

lenny

Quote from: thewobbler on March 31, 2024, 08:27:48 PMThe biggest problem with Gaelic football is the endless recycling of the ball around midfield areas.

The second biggest problem is that even when we are served up an absolute classic of a match, the majority of comments are about the refereeing.

Lane had neither a good nor a bad game today, certainly not one worthy of lengthy conjecture. He could have awarded a 13m instead of a penalty, nobody would have complained. He could have black carded Shane McGuigan, with 3 mins remaining, and you could see from McGuigan's eyes that he was expecting one. He could have went easier on Fenton but on balance he refereed that passage of play correctly, including the red card. He made a blooper for Dublin's equaliser no doubt. But balance that up with the fact that he facilitated a brilliant, brilliant game of sport.

Leave him alone.

Leave refs alone.

I'd agree with a lot of that. On a number of occasions I was calling for Derry frees which weren't given but on the replays they would've been soft frees. I also thought a yellow card would've been enough for Fenton but I can see why red was given. The last free in normal time shouldn't have been given but we can all see that from different angles which the ref doesn't have. Fantastic match, great entertainment. Who knows what the championship will bring but it's just great to see Derry winning a national trophy. We had some brilliant performances but also a few players who know they can do better so we've room to improve also.

RedHand88

Just seeing it now. Why are Dublin such tramps when they are losing a game of football??

Tones

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 31, 2024, 09:43:47 PMJust seeing it now. Why are Dublin such tramps when they are losing a game of football??

Irony at its best.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tones on March 31, 2024, 09:46:01 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 31, 2024, 09:43:47 PMJust seeing it now. Why are Dublin such tramps when they are losing a game of football??

Irony at its best.

Aye. Cancel me sure.

AustinPowers

Just seen  footage of 4 dubs go after derry's No 2 after  the late goal , akin to Arsenal  players  going after ruud  van nistelrooy  back in the day.

Might that incident  be looked at by the CCCCCCCCC?

Tones

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 31, 2024, 10:00:01 PM
Quote from: Tones on March 31, 2024, 09:46:01 PM

Irony at its best.

Aye. Cancel me sure.

Or call out your hypocrisy.

gallsman

Whelo is right, there'll be serious words in the Dublin camp over that nonsense at the end. Having just lost Fenton, going another man down with a chance of ref playing on was crazy.

Don't understand why so many are clamouring for a square ball. Do people genuinely not know the rule?!

Lynch for me is a bit of a particular worry for Derry going forward. He doesn't look comfortable on the ball out the field when he's under anything resembling pressure. Normally he's just linking play with nobody near him but if there's an opponent close and he has to carry it past someone he looks vulnerable. Flapped badly at the ball coming in that gifted Basquel the goal and then for the equaliser he was in no mans land once the second chance came in.

Dublin will still rightly be favourites and McCarthy in particular will be crucial to have back. If all their big guns are firing, still not sure anyone will live with them but knock one or two of them off their stride and they're simply not the same team at all. Con, dives aside, was largely unseen all day and Kilkenny and Fenton were both very quiet.

imtommygunn

Small booting mccloskey deserves a ban. Dirty act.

Agree. I still think lynch a potential weakness. Kerry, I think, knew this last year.

Still would fancy Dublin too. Mccaffrey off the bench kills teams and he is a huge miss as much as anyone. Derry will put it up to anyone but a loss in ulster would set them back so they need to navigate that first.

From the Bunker

Remember Dublin lost League finals in  2011, 2017, 2020.

yellowcard

The team that beats Dublin will win the All Ireland title but Derry have overcome a big psychological hurdle today by coming out on top in a big game in Croke Park. They're still probably third in a 3 horse race for Sam but they've proven that they will be contenders.

They also seem to have much more strength in depth than previous years, their subs had a big impact today when I expected them to wilt in extra time.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 31, 2024, 10:27:36 PMRemember Dublin lost League finals in  2011, 2017, 2020.

2011 Kerry, Mayo 2017 had the opportunity of beating Dublin and found ways to lose I doubt Derry will do the same if given the same opportunity this summer.

Mario

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2024, 10:24:04 PMSmall booting mccloskey deserves a ban. Dirty act.

Agree. I still think lynch a potential weakness. Kerry, I think, knew this last year.

Still would fancy Dublin too. Mccaffrey off the bench kills teams and he is a huge miss as much as anyone. Derry will put it up to anyone but a loss in ulster would set them back so they need to navigate that first.
Quote from: gallsman on March 31, 2024, 10:13:50 PMWhelo is right, there'll be serious words in the Dublin camp over that nonsense at the end. Having just lost Fenton, going another man down with a chance of ref playing on was crazy.

Don't understand why so many are clamouring for a square ball. Do people genuinely not know the rule?!

Lynch for me is a bit of a particular worry for Derry going forward. He doesn't look comfortable on the ball out the field when he's under anything resembling pressure. Normally he's just linking play with nobody near him but if there's an opponent close and he has to carry it past someone he looks vulnerable. Flapped badly at the ball coming in that gifted Basquel the goal and then for the equaliser he was in no mans land once the second chance came in.

Dublin will still rightly be favourites and McCarthy in particular will be crucial to have back. If all their big guns are firing, still not sure anyone will live with them but knock one or two of them off their stride and they're simply not the same team at all. Con, dives aside, was largely unseen all day and Kilkenny and Fenton were both very quiet.
Lynch getting a bit of stick but I thought he'd a good game aside from the first goal. I love Lynch, he takes risks all the time, sometimes makes mistakes but it's water off a ducks back and he goes again. His kickouts were brilliant, he's so attacking in everything he does and having watched Derry without him we are a much better team with him.  Scullion did well in his absence but is a more traditional keeper.

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2024, 10:24:04 PMSmall booting mccloskey deserves a ban. Dirty act.

Is that what happened? Yet to see anything conclusive. Camera focused on him coming out (maybe thought he'd got the goal) and then he swerves off to the right and next time camera is on him a few seconds later he has McCloskey.

On League Sunday they briefly showed three of them running out and they seemed to specifically target McCloskey, so there must have been some previous. Lahiff one of them according to O'Sé. Small obviously not one of them so did he see his teammates in a 3 on 1 and decided they needed some help?

Have seen a lot of commentary online about Glass "putting manners on him" and the like. Not sure I've seen anything to suggest that. Bit of rolling around, nobody bossing anyone else

gallsman

Quote from: Mario on March 31, 2024, 10:40:27 PMhe's so attacking in everything he does.

Is he really? Most of the time he just takes and gives a handpass. You almost never see him attack the way someone like Rafferty (or even Morgan) does.