Author Topic: Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm  (Read 9632 times)

mayoman dan

• View Profile
Re: Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm
« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
What do Mayo fans think of Rochford? Could anyone else have squeezed more out of the team?
Whenever they do leave the scene it will feel strange. They have been on the go for most of this decade.

I like him and am happy enough with him as our manager.Tactically very good and not afraid to try something new.Obviously swapping goalkeepers for the replay final was a disaster but i felt he made up for it last year.We were 7/1 with some bookies the week of the final and we came damn close to winning the bloody thing.The only gripe i have with him is some of his substitutions are questionable.Bringing on fellas with 2 minutes to go is a waste of time and bringing on backs when were chasing a game drives me up the wall.Overall id give him an 8 out of 10.Deliver Sam and il give him whatever he wants ;D

Orchard park

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »
What do Mayo fans think of Rochford? Could anyone else have squeezed more out of the team?
Whenever they do leave the scene it will feel strange. They have been on the go for most of this decade.

I like him and am happy enough with him as our manager.Tactically very good and not afraid to try something new.Obviously swapping goalkeepers for the replay final was a disaster but i felt he made up for it last year.We were 7/1 with some bookies the week of the final and we came damn close to winning the bloody thing.The only gripe i have with him is some of his substitutions are questionable.Bringing on fellas with 2 minutes to go is a waste of time and bringing on backs when were chasing a game drives me up the wall.Overall id give him an 8 out of 10.Deliver Sam and il give him whatever he wants ;D

what would you have given Holmes / Connolly and also Horan

rosnarun

• Maigheo Ab
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2018, 10:15:44 AM »

only problem I have with him is he is completely shit or burst as a manager and a generation of v talented playr could well be lost because of him.
he has always gone for the tried and trusted player on the panel even if he doesn't trust them enough to play them . barry moran being the biggest case in point. he has not played more than a few minute for years  but is still retained while the like of brian regan and liam Irwin are culled from the panel .
shane nally  looked like  he falling into this bracket even though looks good when ever he get one and never mind davi drakes celebrity appearance for the last 5 minute  of so many games. though he has his first right good game for mayo this year against Donegal.
mayo could live to regret this esp if we don't win sam soon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »

To be fair we rode our luck through the backdoor last year. I don't think many were singing his praises pre Roscommon replay last year. Whether we get as lucky pre super 8s this year is another thing. Especially since Keegan is out until mid to late June at the earliest (what I heard) if we lose to Galway.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
Being a sports fan is about emotion most of all. And there is something about this Mayo team that lost 3 finals by a point to the Dubs machine that goes way beyond the usual sports experience, even for non Mayo people.

Sid said it a while ago
It might not feel like it to a Mayo person but there has to be something, as you say, almost spiritual about following a team like that. Its something bigger than just following a team, and as a Dublin supporter, I almost envy Mayo supporters.

Joe Dolan had a hit in 1981 with More and More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLC2mj5wvE

Time and time again
I try to find you
Til the very end
I won't turn back
Down every road I travel on and on and on
Reaching out my hand
I try to touch, I try to feel
But you're not there
No you're not real
Still I believe
That you'll be mine

Galway hurlers had a similar story to Mayo for a long time but the paths diverged last September.
Hopefully Mayo can give it a right lash this year and finish the job. In any case they have brought great honour to the county no matter what happens .

Jaysus would you shtop

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
Success would ruin Mayo.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
Indeed look what happened to ye :D
1986 to 2001 went mad winning things-now a poor Intermediate team at best.
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »
True.
Great memories though.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2018, 01:55:48 PM »
Success would ruin Mayo.

The quest is our raison d'tre.
We'd be completely without purpose if everyone lost to us, if we were the ones saying "if there was one team i'd love to see win it, it's yourselves..." to the vanquished outside Philly Ryans, if we had no kick-in-the-balls defeat to mourn over the winter, if we had no pr*cks of neighbours with smart alec remarks despite them tamely losing in July. It's just the way things are, people have been born and reared into that way of life - would be a terrible shock if the world flipped like that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »

only problem I have with him is he is completely shit or burst as a manager and a generation of v talented playr could well be lost because of him.
he has always gone for the tried and trusted player on the panel even if he doesn't trust them enough to play them . barry moran being the biggest case in point. he has not played more than a few minute for years  but is still retained while the like of brian regan and liam Irwin are culled from the panel .
shane nally  looked like  he falling into this bracket even though looks good when ever he get one and never mind davi drakes celebrity appearance for the last 5 minute  of so many games. though he has his first right good game for mayo this year against Donegal.

tried and trusted players remain Mayos best players by some distance and you only have to look at NFL games to see how vulnerable Mayo are without a few of those tried and trusted players. Safe and sensible management by Rochford it would be daft throwing in lads that would make the team weaker for a championship game.

CumminsCiderLarry

• View Profile
Re: Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May (throw-in time TBC)
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
Very good performances in his debut season in 2010 v Sligo and Longford. A good game v Tyrone in 13 . Mostly negative contributions for the rest of his time , a tendency to shy away from 50/50 balls , a complete no no for inter county.   it was 2015 v Dubs I seen him with my two fooking eyes yellow out of a 60/40 in his favour when it was melting pot time . His fans never seem to see whats obvious to others.

Unfortunately accurate.
no point in slagging him off at this point.
he did his stint for mayo and should be thanked for it

A good footballer with plenty of talent but probably just lacking a bit of an edge to his game.

He's no worse than the likes of Evan Regan or Conor O'Shea. But I suppose you've more juice to stick on the panel when your big brothers are calling the shots and the manager doesn't want to offend them.

If Horan had some sense he'd have left him on for more than 15 minutes  in the 2013 AI final, a year where he was in All-Star form and had been MotM in the AISF. Probably cost Horan and Mayo an AI.
Come off it Syf, Alan hadn't been able to take a full part in training in the previous week because he had a bad dose of the flu. Horan took a gamble on his fitness and lost.  Alll that was reported in the local papers at the time.

The rumour about Freeman having the flu in the build up to the final is simply not true.It was a disastrous decision to take him off
Nah, he had flu or a heavy cold alright, according to the father of an Aghamore player, but I know there were other reasons as well that made relations between JH and the Freemans rather stretched. It may be that Alan's father wasn't too happy with Horan. But the fact is,  Alan was not having one of his better days . He had a couple of halfhearted scoring attempts blocked down and I felt he just wasn't getting stuck in.Dunno if taking him off although was a good idea.
There were others who weren't playing well either and given Freeman's display in the semi,  I'd have left him on a bit longer in the hope that he'd rediscover his form.

Well according to a man that played in the last A vs B game before the final Freeman didnt have any flu or cold leading into the final.In the A vs B game the B team hammered the A team by about 7 points with Freeman and Mikey Conroy doing most of the damage.Not your ideal preperation for an all ireland final.If Horan had started both Freeman and Conroy Andy and probably Cillian would have missed out.Horan opted for Freeman but was anxious to get Conroy in as soon as possible.The stories about colds flus and Richie Feeney busting both Horan and Dillon are all nonsense.

I thought Feeney hit Dillon and Horan sided with his his clubmate?Feeney didnt travel with team on bus and kept on bench.Freeman should have been kept on as OConnor wasnt a threat from play with his shoulder injury
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:34:04 PM by CumminsCiderLarry »

rosnarun

• Maigheo Ab
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 20, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »

tried and trusted players remain Mayos best players by some distance and you only have to look at NFL games to see how vulnerable Mayo are without a few of those tried and trusted players. Safe and sensible management by Rochford it would be daft throwing in lads that would make the team weaker for a championship game.

it only seems like that because no one else is given a proper chance
the 1st 18 or so are tope class to be sure but after that things are not quiet as good.
Mayo are squeezing as much as they can out of some of these guys on a last chance salon basis for about 3 years now.
there is loads of young talent but Rochford is not willing to trust it.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »

the 1st 18 or so are tope class to be sure but after that things are not quiet as good.
Mayo are squeezing as much as they can out of some of these guys on a last chance salon basis for about 3 years now.

In last 3 years most of the best underage players for Mayo have been given their chance for what i see Coen,Harrsion,O Donoghue,Durcan,Loftus etc. Young talent is one thing but young talent that are good enough to perform at the business end of the championship is another thing altogether.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose