Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSC

Regarding Kelly and his county performance, I always thought that he was a great club half back, but didn't have the mean streak to be a great county half back. Because of this I would have played him in a different role, give him the frredom of the park and I believe he would have excelled

CentreHalfBack

NFL: Antrim team v Donegal

1. SEAN O NEILL    (DAVITTS)

2. COLIN BRADY    (ST. GALLS)
3. RICKY JOHNSTON  (KICKHAMS CREGGAN)
4. AARON DOUGLAS  (ST.JOHNS)

5. TONY SCULLION  (CARGIN)
24. CONOR MURRAY (LAMH DHEARG)
7. ANTO HEALY   (ST.GALLS)

8. AODHAN GALLAGHER  (ST.GALLS)
9. SEAN BURKE  (ST.GALLS)

10. TERRY O NEILL  (ST.GALLS)
11. MARK SWEENEY  (ST. BRIGIDS)
12. MARK MC ALEESE (PORTGLENONE)

13. KEVIN BRADY  (MONEYGLASS)
14. BRENDAN HERON  (LAMH DHEARG)
15. TOMAS MC CANN    (CARGIN)

16. CHRIS KERR   (ST.GALLS)
17. MARK DOUGAN  (KICKHAMS CREGGAN)
18. DARA EDWARDS  (ST. BRIGIDS)
19. COLM FLEMING  (ROSSA)
20. MARTY JOHNSTON  (KICKHAMS CREGGAN)
21. JAMES LAVERTY  (CARGIN)
22. KEVIN MARRON  (MONEYGLASS)
23. ADRIAN MC KEEFRY  (MONEYGLASS)
24. CONOR MURRAY  (LAMH DHEARG)
25. BRIAN NEESON  (ST. JOHNS)
27. PETER OWENS  (ST.GALLS)

Paddy Cunnigham, Justin Crozier, Kevin O'Boyle join the injury list. Kevin McGourty suspended following red card V Sligo.

Murray to play CHB?  :-\

Also see a few new faces added to the already "depleted" squad.
New season - new reason

CentreHalfBack

Deaglan O'Hagan also brought back into the panel, but broke his thumb at training on Tuesday night.
New season - new reason

Simon Says

Why was paddy cunningham not playing?

PeteG

Think he has a shoulder injury.

Simon Says

able to play a charity game though on saturday?

PeteG

Dont know just read somewhere that he was injured. 

Was interesting to see Antrim playing without him anyway, I dont think his presence was really missed that much. Thomas and Neeson were both on target with their frees. 

Thomas was on form in the first half tho faded out of the game completely in the second,  not sure if this is just a lack of game time as he hasn't played a whole game all season.

Sean Burke had a brilliant game right to the end and O'Neill also played very well up front while also dropping bk to support the defence.

Milltown Row2

Listen to the game on Highland radio and Martin McHugh thought Anto Healy was Antrim's best player. Listening to the game i sort of got that myself, They played him as a free man in the second half but he won a fair few balls.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PeteG

Didn't hear the game on the radio but was up at it and wouldn't have said Healy had a great game.  He won a fair few balls but got caught out a number of times either being too slow releasing the ball and or gave the ball away.  Usually a solid enough player but seemed to be having a bit of a nightmare on the day.

Simon Says

Pete what game were you watching? healey was outstanding.

PeteG

Obv not the same one as you lol

I definitely wouldn't have said he was outstanding, he did clear up quite a bit of ball but also lost the ball on a number of occasions that led Donegal scores.

In saying that he wasn't the only one.  If I was to pick who I thought was good in defence on the day I would have to say Ricky Johnson.

Simon Says

i fancy a saffron win on sunday  ;D

AQMP

Quote from: Simon Says on April 06, 2011, 01:27:14 PM
i fancy a saffron win on sunday  ;D

I like your sunny sided optimism Simon :)

After two consecutive promotions it was always going to be difficult to stay in Div 2.  Things weren't helped by injuries and unavailability and with this in mind Antrim did not disgrace themselves.  Also the gap in quality between Div 2 and Div 3 is much bigger than the gap between Div 1 and Div 2.

As for the future unfortunately Donegal seem to be flying at the minute and even if players like CJ and Mick McCann (and even Loughrey) do comeback they won't have any inter county time under their belts. so I would think the chances of a victory in Ballybofey next month are virtually negligible.  After that it depends on the qualifier draw.  Also there are (I think) 6 weeks between the Donegal game and the first round of the qualifiers so it depends whether that is a good break to right any wrongs or just too long a lay off at the start of the Championship :-\

Milltown Row2

Quote from: PeteG on April 04, 2011, 10:35:43 PM
Didn't hear the game on the radio but was up at it and wouldn't have said Healy had a great game.  He won a fair few balls but got caught out a number of times either being too slow releasing the ball and or gave the ball away.  Usually a solid enough player but seemed to be having a bit of a nightmare on the day.

That's grand pete, I'll taking your view of the game over Martin (who?) McHugh any day ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

wherefromref

Ventured over to Casement yesterday hoping to see an injury hit and relegation threatened Antrim team that would put it up to Derry, how wrong I was!

Antrim looked like a bunch of men thrown together ten minutes before throw in and told to fulfill the fixture! McCann looked our only threat in the forwards and no one was willing to carry the ball out of defence in the absence of Scullion! Terrible performance and the referee did not help matters! Donegal will not be worried I suspect!