Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

away on at wit ye

Quote from: gallsman on February 09, 2009, 07:17:52 PM
How's Deaghlan O'Hagan doing at CHB? Was in school with him and played against him during his Sarsfields days. Wouldn't have had him down as an inter-county player to be honest.

as far as i know, o hagain played for sarsfields when he before st brigids had a club in his local area. i dont think you can say he wasnt inter county material when youre talking about such a young age. he was outstanding for qub in the mckenna cup and played well against wicklow but came off with a blood injury to the face.

Glensman

Calm yourself Hightower.
Kilkenny hurlers would not beat Antrim footballers at football...that is just simply bulls1t and a stupid statement.

Agree with what you said on "O'Hagan away on at with ye". There are a few players in both our county squads who weren't stand out at the younger side of juvenile but have made a step up through the years.

Cruncher

O'Hagan has improved year on year at st brigids. He has played since their formation and therefore began his senior football in the lowest division. He has improved as the club have and is now one of the best player in one of the best clubs in the county. He will no doubt prove to be a great asset for antrim in the coming years.

TheDoc

Quote from: Cruncher on February 11, 2009, 09:58:00 AM
O'Hagan has improved year on year at st brigids. He has played since their formation and therefore began his senior football in the lowest division. He has improved as the club have and is now one of the best player in one of the best clubs in the county. He will no doubt prove to be a great asset for antrim in the coming years.

He's still not good enough.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

NAG

I take it Antrim will be getting the two points from the Wicklow game with them having played an illegal player, could be a handy extra point come the end of the league.

imtommygunn

What's the story there?

Haven't heard anything about this...

NAG

Wicklow forward Seanie Furlong could be facing a lengthy ban for playing a match while under suspension.

The Kiltegan clubman, who has been Wicklow's top forward this season, received a straight red card in last month's O'Byrne Cup final defeat to Louth, yet played in the Garden County's opening NFL match against Antrim two weeks ago.

Apparently, Wicklow chiefs were either informed or under the impression that an O'Byrne Cup red card sending off did not carry over to the league and would apply to next year's O'Byrne Cup instead. Furthermore, Furlong's two second half goals were crucial in Mick O'Dwyer's side securing a draw with the Saffrons.

It only came to light last weekend that Wicklow may have erred in playing Furlong against Antrim, and consequently he sat out last Saturday's drawn NFL clash with Waterford in Aughrim.

The matter is due to come before the CCCC at its next meeting and Wicklow chiefs are keeping their fingers crossed that their star forward will avoid a lengthy suspension.

Id say that is a clear case of losing the points for the game he played in previously.

BanagusOir

If this is true that point could be vital. Especially after him not playing the following week. He bagged 2-01 against Antrim aswell

ONeill

QuoteA goal and eight points from full-forward and captain Paddy Cunningham steered Antrim to a well deserved seven point win over Clare in Division 4 of the National Football League at Casement Park on Saturday night.
Cunningham's goal after five minutes, following a defence splitting pass by CJ McGourty, settled the Saffrons after Clare had shocked them with a goal inside forty seconds, and the Lamh Dhearg man went on to add eight points over the seventy minutes, in a faultless free taking display.
Again Antrim left their fans frustrated as their finishing failed to match the chances created, but new manager Liam Bradley must have been pleased with their work rate and endeavour as they each and everyone of them gave 100%.
Cunningham's goal, and three excellent points from midfielder Michael McCann, helped the home side to a 1-7 to 1-3 half-time lead, a scoreline which certainly did not flatter them.
They started the second-half well and stretched that lead to five, but they lost their way a little for a fifteen minute spell before regaining the upper hand and securing two more valuable league points.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

In today's Sunday Times there's a sort of 'where are they now' piece on the '89 AI team. Inside back page.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Surely more hurling... Must buy that.

Good win over Clare. They're a team antrim have struggled to beat before. If we get the 2 points for Wicklow, even if we don't, that's a good points total. If we get points against Sligo it should be looking good.

glens73

Quote from: ONeill on February 15, 2009, 10:59:46 AM
In today's Sunday Times there's a sort of 'where are they now' piece on the '89 AI team. Inside back page.

Is this the Irish version of the sunday times in the uk, or the Sunday version of the Irish Times?

Glensman

Glens73 if you live in the North go and buy the Sunday Times. Its in there.

No such thing as a Sunday version of the Irish Times.

A great day that was.

glens73

Quote from: Glensman on February 15, 2009, 04:52:58 PM
Glens73 if you live in the North go and buy the Sunday Times. Its in there.

No such thing as a Sunday version of the Irish Times.

A great day that was.

I live in Lancashire. I'll just have to wait and see if it comes on their webiste.

I would be very interested in reading it as I went to a lot of the hurlers games around that time and I was at both Croke Park games in 1989.

Glensman

You play over there Glens? I played football for St Peters for a couple of years in Manchester.

I'll try and remember to bring it in tomorrow and scan it in for you if I can do that.