Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 09, 2022, 12:43:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on June 09, 2022, 11:24:43 AM
One of the things that are truly bizarre in life are people who talk like they can see the future and predict things, but at the same hvae this wonderful ability to see whats on the end of their nose, but funnily enough don't take their own club team. I have always wonder that, one of the great unanswered questions of the GAA. Such great knowledgeable people you would think would be in demand or have won notable championships. Now thats another bizarre thig as well, however this part is not confined to Gaa as I hear that in the pub every weekend when the lads were trying to tell me that Arsense Wenger hadn't a clue.  ::)

How many on here have taken their senior teams? I'd say very little, how many have taken any senior team? Again very little I'd assume, with that we have no problems telling people how it should be done, funny that or bizarre

Now here is a surprise.....I agree with MR2......

I agree with the McCooey also.

Some of the posts on here are laughable!!

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on June 09, 2022, 12:42:35 PM
Oh right. EOC says the case is closed. Must mean you agree with the content, or you would be debating it. On those grounds I'm happy to park it up at this stage.
No don't agree with any of the content, on the county scene or the club scene for that matter. Delusional on both fronts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 09, 2022, 12:58:13 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on June 09, 2022, 12:43:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2022, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on June 09, 2022, 11:24:43 AM
One of the things that are truly bizarre in life are people who talk like they can see the future and predict things, but at the same hvae this wonderful ability to see whats on the end of their nose, but funnily enough don't take their own club team. I have always wonder that, one of the great unanswered questions of the GAA. Such great knowledgeable people you would think would be in demand or have won notable championships. Now thats another bizarre thig as well, however this part is not confined to Gaa as I hear that in the pub every weekend when the lads were trying to tell me that Arsense Wenger hadn't a clue.  ::)

How many on here have taken their senior teams? I'd say very little, how many have taken any senior team? Again very little I'd assume, with that we have no problems telling people how it should be done, funny that or bizarre

Now here is a surprise.....I agree with MR2......

I agree with the McCooey also.

Some of the posts on here are laughable!!

Never take yourself or here to serious PJ, just banter ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Right EOC, you are entitled to agree or disagree re content on whether or not previous management got best out of our defence and forward line. I'm happy to maintain the opposite view, that's opinion.

But you've lost me with the delusional comment! Club and County. Would you care to tell me what this is about?

EOC1923

County level - McGinley was lucky to get us out of Division 3 (no credit given) --- Lenny was unlucky not to get us out of Division 4 (with heaps of credit given)
Club level- Portglenone are championship contenders

Spike

A bit of nepotism from BS is both forgivable and understandable that it sways the emotions.  Cannot blame the man for that at all. Both the wins and losses were overstated and neither were deserving of the exuberant praise nor overly harsh critique.               I think it is churlish to give EMG no credit for finally getting us out of the basement division by whatever means - tight wins for Antrim aren't lucky (we are by no means a county that has the good fortune to hammer teams by large margins on a regular basis). They are hard earned wins and usually could go either way.    Personally i thought Antrim played some really good football all season (apart from louth and cavan) but struggled to maintain it throughout an entire game. leitrim was a run out for the squad and the goose had been cooked by that stage.   Both limerick and westmeath games had great moments but we always looked like conceding goals, even against fermanagh.   We appear to neither have the personnel to carry out a blanket defence nor an attacking game and are caught somewhere in the middle. 

Not confirmed yet but I suspect a lot of the over 30s could call it a day.

I would say Div 3 survival is the main aim for the new manager unless he can solve the conundrum of the full back line and replace missing squad members.   

Spike

Quote from: Spike on June 09, 2022, 02:12:19 PM
A bit of nepotism from BS is both forgivable and understandable that it sways the emotions.  Cannot blame the man for that at all. Both the wins and losses were overstated and neither were deserving of the exuberant praise nor overly harsh critique.               I think it is churlish to give EMG no credit for finally getting us out of the basement division by whatever means - tight wins for Antrim aren't lucky (we are by no means a county that has the good fortune to hammer teams by large margins on a regular basis). They are hard earned wins and usually could go either way.    Personally i thought Antrim played some really good football all season (apart from louth and cavan) but struggled to maintain it throughout an entire game. leitrim was a run out for the squad and the goose had been cooked by that stage.   Both limerick and westmeath games had great moments but we always looked like conceding goals, even against fermanagh.   We appear to neither have the personnel to carry out a blanket defence nor an attacking game and are caught somewhere in the middle. 

Not confirmed yet but I suspect a lot of the over 30s could call it a day.

I would say Div 3 survival is the main aim for the new manager unless he can solve the conundrum of the full back line and replace missing squad members.   

Perhaps the blueprint has been given to us by the last couple of league campaigns - start the league on fire to get points on the board and hope for the best thereafter

bannside

One at a time.

Lenny very very unlucky. If you were in Carrick on Shannon you've have known that, but no, your recent interest on the county senior panel wasn't involved....so you weren't there. Robbed by a ref, lost by a point, that was what cost Lenny that year. Yes the same Leitrim that toyed with us.

In Lenny's last year we had one foot up, (remember we beat Limerick by 14 in PG1 - the same Limerick that tanked us this year) but Covid kicked in. We stopped training but Wicklow didn't. Fact. That's what cost Lenny promotion.

Then Lennys Antrim gave Ulster champions in waiting Cavan their absolute fill of it in a memorable performance in Breffni   Park. Yes the same Cavan who toyed with us in fortress Corrigan this year.

So I think Lenny deserved a lot of credit, even though it wasn't foot perfect. Yet plenty from these parts slow to get behind him. The irony of it all.

bannside

Portglenone as contenders. My only comment is that we are now probably a top 3 club. Yes Im on us EW at 12/1 for c'ship, after I saw the draw. Not counting chickens but odds were too big.

If you think any of that's delusional then I'd say you are by now in a minority.

Anything else?

bannside

DK, any word of that CV. Come on now, don't be shy!

barnish oggie

Jesus, there is some difference in atmosphere on the football board compared to the hurling board!

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on June 09, 2022, 02:16:41 PM
One at a time.

Lenny very very unlucky. If you were in Carrick on Shannon you've have known that, but no, your recent interest on the county senior panel wasn't involved....so you weren't there. Robbed by a ref, lost by a point, that was what cost Lenny that year. Yes the same Leitrim that toyed with us.

In Lenny's last year we had one foot up, (remember we beat Limerick by 14 in PG1 - the same Limerick that tanked us this year) but Covid kicked in. We stopped training but Wicklow didn't. Fact. That's what cost Lenny promotion.

Then Lennys Antrim gave Ulster champions in waiting Cavan their absolute fill of it in a memorable performance in Breffni   Park. Yes the same Cavan who toyed with us in fortress Corrigan this year.

So I think Lenny deserved a lot of credit, even though it wasn't foot perfect. Yet plenty from these parts slow to get behind him. The irony of it all.
All this delusion, Antrim were 'unlucky' to loss to Derry in Division 4, recently. Is that the same Derry team that won Ulster this season?
No it wasn't, teams change year on year. So the Limerick team of Feb 2020 is the same Limerick team who tanked us in March 2022. Lol

bannside

Spike, a voice of reason. I think you've got the nail right on the head tbh.

It can be a bit of both. Credit can be given for promotion whilst anyone with an ounce of common sense knows there was a degree of luck. Large degree v small degree, your choice. 

As you say, we could often see two Antrims in one game! We could be coasting only to see wheels flying everywhere!

New management has a challenge but the players are there to meet that. A team that got 7 points in that division last year must have something to back that up.

bannside

The Limerick team of 2020 were flying top of Div 4 with four wins out if four. Just saying. But there you go again, totally trying to rubbish the work Lenny did. Beating them by 14 was a huge performance.