Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Cargin probably favourites still but Creggan definitely won't be overawed by their near parish neighbours at this stage. These two probably a good bit ahead of anything else....but then again....on any given day......

Dreen

With the league games in full flow, a big shout out to the Saffron Gael team for reports on the night/morning after of games. If you arent making a payment towards the work they are doing you really should.

country bumpkin

With the under 20 championship near and Cargin having 8 individuals on the panel surely this stat would suggest a lack of interest, or indeed abilities within the rest of clubs in the county...

barnish oggie

Quote from: rogercasement on March 30, 2022, 10:36:52 PM
Quote from: Would ye whist on March 30, 2022, 10:30:01 PM
Leagues are for playing, Championships for winning........

RC I believe it wasn't too straight forward in the first half tonight?

Quote from: rogercasement on March 30, 2022, 10:26:27 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin
link=topic=21.msg2112215#msg2112215 date=1648674459

Cargin beat again....another painful report with tears in my eyes hampering vision..
Div 2 and Intermediate championship looms large....
Will youse even be able to field a team????
Me thinks Cargin will be ok and not many will lose sleep about the league start.
In all honesty and without sounding condescending, I would have liked to have started the league playing Cargin, Creggan and Lamhs minus County players rather than face them later!! We have beaten teams that we would be expected to beat.
No it wasn't but there are 2 halves in games

Missed penalty was costly.

TNN never recovered from it, within 3 minutes of missing it to go 1 point behind, we were 9 points behind!

But it is all a learning process this year up with the big boys and as long as we win the games we are expected to win and stay up, games like last night will hopefully build a bit of character.

NAG1

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on March 30, 2022, 10:55:18 PM
I have a feeling Cargin aren't too bothered about league just yet, 4 pitch sessions under belts so far, using league like challenge games really, come the business end not too many will wana be up against them.

See this theory would make more sense if they were using the longer break over the winter to recharge and have a go at Ulster.

But from what I can see they are further away than ever to doing something in Ulster after winning a county title.

rogercasement

Quote from: barnish oggie on March 31, 2022, 09:27:15 AM
Hard to disagree with alot of what you say Barnish.
TIr na nog are a decent outfit, does dual players harm you much?
I think you will comfortably stay up and will take plenty of points.
League a very strange competition this year.
Quote from: Would ye whist on March 30, 2022, 10:30:01 PM
Leagues are for playing, Championships for winning........

RC I believe it wasn't too straight forward in the first half tonight?

Quote from: rogercasement on March 30, 2022, 10:26:27 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin
link=topic=21.msg2112215#msg2112215 date=1648674459

Cargin beat again....another painful report with tears in my eyes hampering vision..
Div 2 and Intermediate championship looms large....
Will youse even be able to field a team????
Me thinks Cargin will be ok and not many will lose sleep about the league start.
In all honesty and without sounding condescending, I would have liked to have started the league playing Cargin, Creggan and Lamhs minus County players rather than face them later!! We have beaten teams that we would be expected to beat.
No it wasn't but there are 2 halves in games

Missed penalty was costly.

TNN never recovered from it, within 3 minutes of missing it to go 1 point behind, we were 9 points behind!

But it is all a learning process this year up with the big boys and as long as we win the games we are expected to win and stay up, games like last night will hopefully build a bit of character.

country bumpkin

Quote from: NAG1 on March 31, 2022, 09:30:40 AM
I have a feeling Cargin aren't too bothered about league just yet, 4 pitch sessions under belts so far, using league like challenge games really, come the business end not too many will wana be up against them.

See this theory would make more sense if they were using the longer break over the winter to recharge and have a go at Ulster.

But from what I can see they are further away than ever to doing something in Ulster after winning a county title.

So that is your considered opinion.....?
Wonder when Cargin ever made intentions on Ulster a priority or a target.
Been difficult enough winning 5 out of the last county senior titles with a couple of minors thrown in without an aim on the provincial as you seem to suggest Nag.

Think March is a tad early for making such negative observations unless you are part of the management down at as,Toome or perhaps a keen observer at their few training sessions this far..

asaffgael

Barnish were you at the game? It was Casements missed the penalty.

barnish oggie

Quote from: asaffgael on March 31, 2022, 11:07:15 AM
Barnish were you at the game? It was Casements missed the penalty.

Didn't get finished work until 7 so no, but i was speaking to someone who i believed was at the game and the first two lines of what i typed above was word for word what they told me!!

They even named who missed the penalty.

I maybe should verify my sources before commenting lol

Makes the start of the second half even worse then as they must have stayed in the changing rooms for the first 10 minutes!

As i said before, all a learning process for us this year and that second half is a good lesson in what the top teams can do when they turn it on.

EOC1923

Quote from: NAG1 on March 31, 2022, 09:30:40 AM

This makes no sense at all

barnish oggie

Hard to disagree with alot of what you say Barnish.
TIr na nog are a decent outfit, does dual players harm you much?
I think you will comfortably stay up and will take plenty of points.
League a very strange competition this year.

While it would be more straightforward focusing on one code, we have managed it well the last couple of years, winning intermediate championships in both.

Says a lot for the management teams and how they work together, rather than just looking out for their own teams.

Players buy into it as well as a majority are dual players.

belfastsaff

There is a huge step up from intermediate to senior as I'm sure your hurlers realised last year.

barnish oggie

Quote from: belfastsaff on March 31, 2022, 11:55:07 AM
There is a huge step up from intermediate to senior as I'm sure your hurlers realised last year.

100%!!

Did well against the Johnnies but Dunloy and Cushendall were too big a step up.

But that's what helps you build, playing against the best, same as with the county team.

belfastsaff

100% There was a great performance against st johns and maybe should have got something from it. Looks like the gorts are gonna go down this year - your match against Ahoghill on sunday will be a telling factor in the other relegation spot.
Quote from: barnish oggie on March 31, 2022, 12:39:52 PM
Quote from: belfastsaff on March 31, 2022, 11:55:07 AM

100%!!

Did well against the Johnnies but Dunloy and Cushendall were too big a step up.

But that's what helps you build, playing against the best, same as with the county team.

rogercasement

Antrim 10/1 Cavan 3/1 favs to win tailteann Cup with Paddy Power. Not sure where they are getting this idea from!