Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NatSoSaff

City sides need to start paying their managers. It's the only way forward

imtommygunn

EOC1923

Some of the comments on here are laughable, the hard work is done at underage long before worrying about who the senior manager is and whether he is paid or not. Take a look at the beaten teams over the weekend, no young players to bring through just the same tired old legs

Rodger Mona

Yeah i dont think even at outside manager could improve some of the teams around antrim when the work isnt being done prior to them coming in. St.Galls still spending money on outside coaches as last couple of years and still seems to be a decline. Better investing that in underage coaching/facilities perhaps

JimStynes

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 25, 2021, 12:27:34 PM
the lack of hurling in SW is an advantage for the football clubs there - do no lads want to hurl in Toome / PG1 / Agha??
Belfast needs a turbo charged Gaelfast at primary & secondary schools but its moving very slowl

Lads who want to play hurling can surely go to a club nearby?

rogercasement

Any hurlers from pg1 play for Ahoghill, in round toome creggan.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 25, 2021, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: NatSoSaff on October 25, 2021, 12:36:00 PM
City sides need to start paying their managers. It's the only way forward
Clubs don't pay managers. They only give them expenses.  ::)

And jobs and cars and free pastie baps from Raffos.

JimStynes

Quote from: rogercasement on October 25, 2021, 03:03:21 PM

Aghagallon play for the Lurgan hurling club and one lad actually plays for Sarsfields in Belfast

Kickham csc

We did have a few play for us but not too many. James Laverty was a good we hurler, and played on the team that won the NA indoor league - Div , always wore his Cargin shorts and socks  ;D

Ciaran O'Neill played for a couple of seasons,

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kickham csc on October 25, 2021, 04:13:33 PM

We did have a few play for us but not too many. James Laverty was a good we hurler, and played on the team that won the NA indoor league - Div , always wore his Cargin shorts and socks  ;D

Ciaran O'Neill played for a couple of seasons,

Ciaran was a decent hurler from memory
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rogercasement

Interesting decision  about intermediate final. Pg1 under lights is superb, we have numerous examples to prove that, loughgiel and johnnies hurlers loved it. My point would be from a players perspective surely they would prefer a game in daylight hours? Maybe I'm wrong.

paddyjohn

There is something about floodlit games that just make it more of a spectacle I think. It'll be a cracker of a game.

rogercasement

For once pj I agree with you, although I think Ballymena will have far too much about them for Whitehill. All saints by 6

paddyjohn

Quote from: rogercasement on October 25, 2021, 05:20:01 PM
For once pj I agree with you, although I think Ballymena will have far too much about them for Whitehill. All saints by 6

Us Culchies have to stick together against the chip eaters 😉😉

City Dweller

Quote from: Rodger Mona on October 25, 2021, 11:32:13 AM
The numbers in the city isnt neccessarily an advantage. Its the community that binds a club together and thats where i think the differences are laying in antrim at the moment.

It was no coincidence that during the troubles St.Johns, St.Pauls, Rossa, St.Galls, LD etc.. were all tight knit clubs/teams with the outside factors they faced on a daily basis playing a part in geling them lads together. Them teams had all lads with family connections to the club, their social clubs were a hub for the community and you usually played for the club whos area you were from. The modern version of this in what we are seeing today is the city teams have players scattered all around the city who have no comings and goings with each other outside of GAA.

Country teams have usually 4 or 5 family connections in each team from underage up to senior, as well as primary schools where each school in a town/village is prodominantly filled with the local clubs players. All this adds to the culture of a club which is slowly slipping away from City teams. However we have seen from St.Galls and Brigids more recently, that all that can be papered over by getting palyers in from other clubs and making a good senior team!

Who did St Brigids bring in?