Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Gold on August 20, 2011, 10:09:03 AM
9-8--game didnt bode well for Antrim Football -i'm sure the Baker wasnt too excited about it.

The sad thing for Antrim football last night is that St Johns are (genuinely) a top 4 team. But they are pure shite. Poor Antrim.

The funniest (and second sadest) thing is that St John's and Antrim referees don't seem to even know the basic rules of Gaelic Football. A St John's player took a sideline ball under the stand. He kicked it down the line and it never crossed into play. The St John's bench and team shouted in unison "Never in!". The referee agreed and under FIFA rule 4.23, allowed the sideline to be retaken. That, along with with all the calls of "10 yards, ref!" throughout the game must have had Roger Casement turning in his grave. Oh well, plenty of time now to watch Celtic in the club bar...

Glensman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2011, 09:43:07 PM
Big shock then, should we win on Sunday then its St Brigids. be a decent game

There's Kerry 'cute hoorism' and then there is that stuff MR2...if Brigids come within ten points of St Galls I'll eat my hat. With their usual league "team" out they appear to have hammered Brigids twice already this year and that will not change. Fact.

Took a spin up to Casement last night. Thankfully I've no allegiance to either team as they were both dire, thankfully for Brigids they were just 1 point less dire than St Johns. Whether the Johnnies had thought it was a foregone conclusion I'm not sure but hey just didn't turn up. As said Brigids will be happy to get into a semi beating a 'decent' team but that'll be as far as they go.

Saw that as well re the Johnnies man not kicking the ball into play and was never sure on that rule?! With the new rule of kicking the ball behind the line surely there is some merit to it never having gone into play?!
And what do you mean about the ten yards?? As in a player should be away from a free or that the ball should be brought forward?!

Anyhow Galls to beat Cargin in the final by 7. Away to the hurling board to talk about something competitive...!

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Glensman on August 20, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
Saw that as well re the Johnnies man not kicking the ball into play and was never sure on that rule?! With the new rule of kicking the ball behind the line surely there is some merit to it never having gone into play?!

The sideline kick has been taken - it doesn't matter where it goes. Sideline balls should always have been taken behind (or on) the line. Nothing has changed other than to clarify in the rules that there is no discretion to "take a few yards" (there never should have been) and there is now a specified penalty if you do. The ball was no more "in play" when a player used to (illegally) steal a few yards on a sideline ball than it is now when the ball has to be behind the line until kicked.

Don't know (nor care) what the history of the soccer "throw-in-never-in" rule is, but it never seemed right to me.

And what do you mean about the ten yards?? As in a player should be away from a free or that the ball should be brought forward?!

Jesus wept. BOTH! There is no "10 yard" specification in Gaelic. It is all 14 yards (13m). From the kick, from the hop ball, must travel, moved forward, etc. etc. But such is the ignorance of the general (but particularly urban) Gaelic watching and playing public, it is continually confused with the "10 yard" soccer specification. Which is as sad as it is embarassing.

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here and will probably be subject to a wiki-leaks type persecution, if not extradition, as a result, but some brave souls have published the (secret) playing rules here:
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2011_Part_2.pdf

It should be compulsory reading - particularly for all referees, TV commentators, and pundits!

OverThePostsAWide

St Gall's to beat Moneyglass by 12 pulling up.
Cargin to beat Lamh Dhearg by 8.
Ahoghill to beat Creggan by 2.

4father

Moneyglass v St Galls - Galls by 8 to 10 points.
Cargin v Lamh Dearg - Cargin by 8 to 10 points.
Creggan v Ahoghill - Creggan by 4.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

4father

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 02:02:56 PM
4-18 to 1-6  min to go

I couldn't help but notice that you didn't write who was 4-18 up.  ;D

Gold

Jesus they're getting better. I dont think they'd even peaked as a team yet in previous years which is frightening.

All main men about 26 -30 now. They could actually be at their peak and physically at their best now thinking about it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OverThePostsAWide

Karl Stewart ran the show. Must have ended up with 2-4? How old is he?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Glensman on August 20, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2011, 09:43:07 PM
Big shock then, should we win on Sunday then its St Brigids. be a decent game

There's Kerry 'cute hoorism' and then there is that stuff MR2...if Brigids come within ten points of St Galls I'll eat my hat. With their usual league "team" out they appear to have hammered Brigids twice already this year and that will not change. Fact.

Took a spin up to Casement last night. Thankfully I've no allegiance to either team as they were both dire, thankfully for Brigids they were just 1 point less dire than St Johns. Whether the Johnnies had thought it was a foregone conclusion I'm not sure but hey just didn't turn up. As said Brigids will be happy to get into a semi beating a 'decent' team but that'll be as far as they go.

Anyhow Galls to beat Cargin in the final by 7. Away to the hurling board to talk about something competitive...!
Only three teams capable of winning that.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Seamroga in exile

Seamroga in exile

Any score in the Cargin match?

Minder

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 21, 2011, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 21, 2011, 03:11:02 PM
Better than 1.
I wouldn't rule out Cargin just yet.

I am officially ruling Cargin out, Lamh Dhearg beat them.

3-8 to 1-11, LD were 3 down with 5 to go.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"