Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Glenravel haven't been great shakes for donkey's years if they ever where but is there no way back for Cushendun? They must have nothing coming thru in the juveniles. It's not that long ago that they were a decent intermediate outfit with big danny kinney, aidan mort, rab laverty, the mcsparrans etc.

Glensman

If LD are division 3 it serves them right for playing a shell of a team v Rasharkin!

slow corner back

I reckon that has the makings of a decent div 2 and div 3 next year. Despite many predictions to the contary there were not a lot of heavy thumpings in Div 2-3 this year as expected. The likes of Cloughmills, Rasharkin etc were reasonably competitve in most games. Ballycran were the best team in the league by some distance but this was to be expected, ulster finalists 2007. My predictions for 2009 Gorts to win Div 2 after winning Ulster intermediate title, St Pauls to be relegated. Carey to pip ourselves ( Armoy ) and Lamh Dearg to div 3 with Rasharkin in a relegation battle with Cdun. St Theresas are being promted into Div 3 aren't they? If they do they will ( could ) finish mid table.

theskull1

Quote from: slow corner back on October 07, 2008, 03:38:28 PM
I reckon that has the makings of a decent div 2 and div 3 next year. Despite many predictions to the contary there were not a lot of heavy thumpings in Div 2-3 this year as expected. The likes of Cloughmills, Rasharkin etc were reasonably competitve in most games.

Question to scb or anybody else who had experience of this league

Do you think if all clubs were surveyed on how they felt the div2/3 league went this year, would there be a majority who felt that the opertunity to fight for 8 top places was actually beneficial to hurling development? That is a straight question btw. Wondering if more clubs fought better thorughout the season when there were more places for the taking? If so, would it be an idea to plan to combine the leagues like this every 3/4 years, just to shake things up?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Assessor

Quote from: theskull1 on October 07, 2008, 04:07:22 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on October 07, 2008, 03:38:28 PM
I reckon that has the makings of a decent div 2 and div 3 next year. Despite many predictions to the contary there were not a lot of heavy thumpings in Div 2-3 this year as expected. The likes of Cloughmills, Rasharkin etc were reasonably competitve in most games.

Question to scb or anybody else who had experience of this league

Do you think if all clubs were surveyed on how they felt the div2/3 league went this year, would there be a majority who felt that the opertunity to fight for 8 top places was actually beneficial to hurling development? That is a straight question btw. Wondering if more clubs fought better thorughout the season when there were more places for the taking? If so, would it be an idea to plan to combine the leagues like this every 3/4 years, just to shake things up?

Hi there buckwheat! Tis I.

Is this something you will be bringing to the county board along with your other grandiose ideas?  Shake what up? Dont you understand that their is a significant difference between 1st level and 2nd level hurling.  As an example, how is a team like GNM going to fair against the likes of Dunloy, Loughgiel, Cushendall etc.   Rossa would be more suited at this division than any other Belfast/South Antrim team.
'The Profound Assessor'

Assessor

A Chairde Gael.                WARNING - To all Posters
Your fellow poster theskull1 (Alias 'the NUMBSKULL') has been sending me some very interesting emails.  In fact they are very aggressive and threatening to say the least.  So be warned ye guys, be careful what ye say to this Psychopath, he may turn on you if ye don't agree with his 'claptrap'.

Just thought I would let ye all be aware of what ye are all dealing with here. I offered to meet him at a time and place of his choosing, but each time he said he could not make it, as he was attending his Line Dancing classes.

There ya go!
'The Profound Assessor'

imtommygunn

Interesting theory skull about shaking it up every 3 / 4 years.

Personally I think looking at it it has worked well. It has had things to play for all year. It has also shown that for one reason or another leagues weren't aligned properly beforehand with two prime examples being that Lamh Dhearg and Sarsfields have in the recent past been in division one. That would fuel the theory that it would be a good idea to do it every 3/4 years.

It probably has given weaker teams some hammerings however there've been enough games against more equal opposition that they're not all meaningless.

Also every guestbook you read about talks about Rossa and how they should be in division 1. If Rossa go to division 1 they'll have to work for it - if GNM are better placed in the league then they obviously deserve to be in division 1 before them. It's not their right to be in division 1. Next year will be interesting to see who goes up between them / Glenarriff / GNM.

theskull1

Quote from: Assessor on October 07, 2008, 05:17:11 PM
Hi there buckwheat! Tis I.

Is this something you will be bringing to the county board along with your other grandiose ideas?  Shake what up? Dont you understand that their is a significant difference between 1st level and 2nd level hurling.  As an example, how is a team like GNM going to fair against the likes of Dunloy, Loughgiel, Cushendall etc.   Rossa would be more suited at this division than any other Belfast/South Antrim team.

Anything to get the rise Assessor even when you embarrass yourself in the process? Not one mention of Div 1 in my post, so it can only be down to the fact that you love stirring anything I post and can't see for the blinkers you have on.

Unless I'm missing something, I do believe my questions were in regard to the div2/3 leagues that were played this year. Also, I'm asking the questions because I don't know what the answer(s) will be.

Minder

Assessor what are you basing the assumption on that Rossa would be better matched against "the big three" they didnt match too well against Cushendall in the championship. Are you basing it on a result against a poor St Johns team,a team should be in division one on merit. Rossa are not good enough for Division 1.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Assessor

Quote from: Minder on October 07, 2008, 05:57:16 PM
Assessor what are you basing the assumption on that Rossa would be better matched against "the big three" they didnt match too well against Cushendall in the championship. Are you basing it on a result against a poor St Johns team,a team should be in division one on merit. Rossa are not good enough for Division 1.

Minder, a chara!

Rossa did not fair too well against Cushendall, I give ye that.  However, given their pedigree and experience, I firmly believe for the sake of hurling in Belfast that they are better suited in Div. 1.  GNM and  Glenarriffe I have seen this year and I am of the firm opinion that neither of them would be able to cope with the pace and physicality of Div. 1 hurling.  They should play in a Div. more suited to their respective capabilites.  This is only my opinion of course, ye dont have to agree with me.  So please dont be sending me threatening emails like the 'NUMBSKULL!
'The Profound Assessor'

theskull1

Reported to moderator

I wouldn't mind going back to my original questions about the possibility that the div2/3 leagues combining every 3/4 years if it was deemed by the majority to be beneficial to hurling development. Perhaps more of those with knowledge of this years div2/3 league can give their views?

davincicode

Jesus lads, this is getting out of hand! Anyway let me give you a laugh, please any loughguile posters feel free to comment. While leaving a meeting this evening, and it was quite a high level structured meeting, not blowing any trumpet either, i heard these two guys waiting for a lift discuss the 6 losses that loughguile have had, surprised to be honest i did,nt take them from a GAA background if you know what i mean, it was a large attendance at the meeting.

Anyway and this is no shit! the guys comment in response to the defeats i.e  6 in a row was,,,,,, that the builders while developing Fr Healy Park should never have cut down the Fairy Bush, and that it was comming back to haunt them again!!!!!!!!

Is this true? Down my way that was always a major no no, but seriously i could,nt believe that was the excuse now!

Assessor

Quote from: theskull1 on October 07, 2008, 06:32:41 PM
Reported to moderator

I wouldn't mind going back to my original questions about the possibility that the div2/3 leagues combining every 3/4 years if it was deemed by the majority to be beneficial to hurling development. Perhaps more of those with knowledge of this years div2/3 league can give their views?

Numskull

Ye are a real Charlatan!
'The Profound Assessor'

davincicode

Assessor:

Whats your take on the weekend games in casement, think the Cushendal lads will be too much for the "Rebels" from dungiven. I see the lad magee is down to Ref, i think he has gone off the boil since Loughnans comments, seen him not long after at casement in Cork game, was not his finest hour at all! Not having a pop either, just think this game may go over the wall if he does,nt get a grip early, What is your assessment of him?

Minder

Quote from: Assessor on October 07, 2008, 06:22:27 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 07, 2008, 05:57:16 PM

Minder, a chara!

Rossa did not fair too well against Cushendall, I give ye that.  However, given their pedigree and experience, I firmly believe for the sake of hurling in Belfast that they are better suited in Div. 1.  GNM and  Glenarriffe I have seen this year and I am of the firm opinion that neither of them would be able to cope with the pace and physicality of Div. 1 hurling.  They should play in a Div. more suited to their respective capabilites.  This is only my opinion of course, ye dont have to agree with me.  So please dont be sending me threatening emails like the 'NUMBSKULL!

Assessor, Glenariffe have  have been able to cope with the "pace and physicality" of Division 1 for the last 6 years. Granted they have been poor this year. Indeed they were 5 up against Cushendall at HT in the Championship. The standard of Div 1 is not as high as you may think, an example being St Johns picking up plenty of points yet failing miserably against Rossa in the C'ship. As for Rossas "pedigree", 5 years ago perhaps but what pedigree do they have at present? A team should be in a Division on merit not what they achieved 20 years ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"