Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assessor

Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2008, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: Assessor on October 03, 2008, 10:00:21 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 03, 2008, 09:56:28 PM
Quote from: Assessor on October 03, 2008, 09:51:33 PM
Quote from: davincicode on October 03, 2008, 07:06:44 PM
Assessor where are you? Waiting on your overview of last nights games at casement, was there just wanted to know your opinions!

Hi Davinci

I was not at the games lkast night due to familt committments.  I understand I did not miss much though?

A very poor night for hurling.  You really have to question whether hurling should ever be played in such cold, wet and windy conditions.  I hear the games were very poorly attended also?

Cheers.

It wasnt raining last night, as for the weather conditions, unfortunately historically October would not be our warmest month.............

It was raining in North Antrim though!  Despite no rain, I am sure the wind and the cold had a major impact on the game?

Of course it would but what are the alternatives?

I take your point a chara.  Maybe if the hurling leagues and championships were played ealier in the spring and summer.  Although, we cannot always predict the weather here anyway.
'The Profound Assessor'

Tony Baloney

Glenariffe are set for the drop. Will they be too good for the rest next year?

milltown row

no, standards drop and so will Glenariffe's. when playing higher standard teams  your pre season is usually geared towards wining league games early on. the main teams are training for championship. i thought glenarriffe would make an impact at some point but like most teams the quality players grow older and the chance is gone.

they will stick around the 2nd div for a few years like ourselves. should be a competitive inter. championship. Gorts seem to be deludung themselves into thinking they can compete at senior. if Rossa Naomh Gall and Glenarriffe play inter next year Gorts would not have a chance

theskull1

I would love an overlap competition to help the second division teams get used to playing at a higher level an give them an incentive to push on if they have the talent to. We also need someone at county board level actively encouraging clubs to prepare their teams better and encourage teams to aspire. Really grates me when I hear admin on the county board website continually tell us that "the clubs voted for the way things are. What about someone with vision leading and driving this county out of it's slumber. They have a serious role to play to get clubs out of their comfort zone and get the st teresas, GNM, Clooney Gaels, Randelstown playing at a higher level.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

only way to do it and it will make us have competitive championships is if we adopt certain things that work with other counties, the great Teddy McCarthy (hero of mine at the time) played for a few teams, played for his local team and for championship played for two separate senior teams (hurling football).

what I'm saying is that if Belfast had 4 or 5 senior hurling teams that solely played hurling we would compete with north antrim teams, also if the other lesser north antrim teams amalgamate then senior championship would be better, more players playing at senior level would make us better as a county. at the minute we have far too many teams in Belfast. a south west select would compete at senior, at least 4/5 teams in Belfast would compete. IE: the best from Rossa and Naomh Gall and Gorts one team. st Johns st Pauls lamhs and st Terseas.

i could go on, certain clubs have 3/4 players that could fit into senior teams and improve them. clubs need to think outside the box

theskull1

Milltown...clubs can never do that separate thinking on their own. It would take a driver of change to be tasked with looking at the posssibilities and trying then to develop ideas that would encourage the clubs to get behind.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

slow corner back

A good few years ago Armoy were involved in amalgamtions at senior level, normally with Carey and Randalstown It never really got off the ground and we never won a match in the senior championship. Its all fine in theory but in reality you had guys playing and training together who two weeks later would be running through each other in the IHC, rows tended to develop along club lines, our goalies better than yours etc. You ended up with three centre half backs playing and no corner forwards. Good players were shoehorned into positions they did not like to get them on the team. Not sure what the answer is but amalgamations is not a panacea.
By the way am I the only person on here who does not believe that the gorts will be cannon fodder in the SHC. They were in a minor final this year won the IHC and I believe they will win Div 2 next year, they will certainly be in the top two or three. Having watched some of the senior teams this year, Rossa, Ballycastle, St Johns I have to say that the gorts are no worse than a lot of teams in the SHC.

Minder

SCB i think you will find the Gorts would struggle badly,  good minor teams very rarely correlate to senior success especially in Belfast. If Glenariffe, Rossa,St Galls concentrated on winning Div 2 next year i couldnt see Gorts even finishing in the top 3.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

youngfella

Quote from: slow corner back on October 04, 2008, 12:32:27 PM
A good few years ago Armoy were involved in amalgamtions at senior level, normally with Carey and Randalstown It never really got off the ground and we never won a match in the senior championship. Its all fine in theory but in reality you had guys playing and training together who two weeks later would be running through each other in the IHC, rows tended to develop along club lines, our goalies better than yours etc. You ended up with three centre half backs playing and no corner forwards. Good players were shoehorned into positions they did not like to get them on the team. Not sure what the answer is but amalgamations is not a panacea.
By the way am I the only person on here who does not believe that the gorts will be cannon fodder in the SHC. They were in a minor final this year won the IHC and I believe they will win Div 2 next year, they will certainly be in the top two or three. Having watched some of the senior teams this year, Rossa, Ballycastle, St Johns I have to say that the gorts are no worse than a lot of teams in the SHC.

Very good SCB, This a very important stage for the club. THey have to focus on the strong minor team bring them into senior, they will have to work hard to keep boys away from demon drink. I believe they win the div 2 next year (allow glenarrife mite beg to differ with me on that) and should arrange a few challange games against some of the bigger clubs. its in the interest of both clubs to do this. It bring another team up to standard it will further antrim hurling.
Pull hard and early

milltown row

lads my own team played them when they were unbeaten, i went to watch the game and was asked to play as we were struggling, played the full match and we beat them handy, they were undefeated up till then. says it all. as for competing at senior level don't make me laugh. they would not get a point or get within ten points of any of the teams. took us 5/6 years to get close to teams at senior level. and the year we get 11 points, level with the Johnnies we get relegated :'(

no a good competitive div 2 with teams like Rossa St Galls Tir naOg, Glenariffe, and gorts would.

six teams competing next year at senior, Ballycastle, St Johns, Dunloy, Cushendall, Loughgiel and Gorts (because they won Inter. this year) open draw and they get Loughgiel up there
Minder is right, good minor teams means nothing we had them for years

Assessor

There goes the 'Numbskull' blowing his mouth off again.

How does he propose the County Board can prepare teams better for hurling?  What about your vision Numbskull?  Such grandiose ideas you are suggesting, yet you want others to take up the gauntlet.  This kind of talk is cheap indeed.  Why don't you go to the County Website, put it writing or go and meet the County Board and attempt to articulate your ideas and suggestions face face to face. Nah, I don't think so somehow, that would be too manly for ye!

By the way, I see the illiteracy continues to plague you!  Capital 'T'' St. Teresa's and Randalstown. 
'The Profound Assessor'

milltown row

proper channels Assessor, ideas need to be voiced at club meetings and proposals sent with the clubs delegates to county meetings were they are voted on. now with your knowledge i'm surprised at ya.

lend me your thoughts on how to improve the standard both club and county in hurling.

PlayWithTheWind

Leinster here we come  :-\
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

milltown row

we'll get Galway again in Saltill for sure :o  sure it will be a great weekend away

Minder

It will be one less excuse for S & W . . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"