The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2018, 11:12:37 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 09:55:28 AM

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 02:42:28 PM

Personally, I would lean towards the allegations being true, in that I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would put themselves through the trauma of being such as accuser if they weren't true.

But... that is not the same as proof.

This isn't (at least currently) a criminal trial.

The key question is whether any of the allegations are credible or not.

The very distinct impression one gets it that they are.
The wider picture is very interesting. Trump is a signed up misogynist and a liability among female voters. The GOP may have to sacrifice Kavanaugh in the interest of the midterms.
Support for Kavanaw among Republican-supporting women went up after Christime Blasey Ford's allegation went public.

There is no more masochistic bunch than Republican-supporting women.
GOP voters aren't enough for a majority. The conservative agenda no longer features fiscal conservatism either. The mid terms will be worth following.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2018, 12:49:02 PM

Personally, I would lean towards the allegations being true, in that I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would put themselves through the trauma of being such as accuser if they weren't true.

The wider picture is very interesting. Trump is a signed up misogynist and a liability among female voters. The GOP may have to sacrifice Kavanaugh in the interest of the midterms.
Support for Kavanaw among Republican-supporting women went up after Christime Blasey Ford's allegation went public.

GOP voters aren't enough for a majority. The conservative agenda no longer features fiscal conservatism either. The mid terms will be worth following.

The Senate map is heavily stacked against the Democrats though.

There are only four seats which are possible or even plausible gains for them. Three of these are in states which always vote Republican in presidential elections.

Then there are six or seven seats they are defending in states which always vote Republican in presidential elections.

Between these two sets of seats, they have to make a net gain of 2. That's a long shot.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on September 25, 2018, 12:34:54 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 25, 2018, 12:21:00 PM

Or maybe they've live their whole lives here and have seen the Democratic smear machine in action before
Or maybe they have a neanderthal attitude to sexual assault from being force fed a diet of right-wing misogynism their whole lives, and employ psychological defence and justification techniques to "dig in" when confronted with things that would blow their whole worldview apart if they didn't employ these psychological techniques.

Denial, in other words.

It's a very, very common thing for supporters of right-wing nut jobbery.

In fact it's the sort of thing on which the popularity of the Republican party and right-wing extremism in general depends.

Or maybe the Republicans focus on issues that are important to them land their families unlike the Democrats who have become a party for just those with grievances with little if any room for dissenting voices

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on September 25, 2018, 01:04:01 PM

Or maybe they've live their whole lives here and have seen the Democratic smear machine in action before
Or maybe they have a neanderthal attitude to sexual assault from being force fed a diet of right-wing misogynism their whole lives, and employ psychological defence and justification techniques to "dig in" when confronted with things that would blow their whole worldview apart if they didn't employ these psychological techniques.

Denial, in other words.

In fact it's the sort of thing on which the popularity of the Republican party and right-wing extremism in general depends.

Or maybe the Republicans focus on issues that are important to them land their families unlike the Democrats who have become a party for just those with grievances with little if any room for dissenting voices

The GOP works for the rich. Dumping environmental Regs is in nobody's interest. Neither were the tax cuts
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/24/americas-era-of-climate-mass-migration-is-here
« By the end of this century, sea level rise alone could displace 13 million people, according to one study, including 6 million in Florida. States including Louisiana, California, New York and New Jersey will also have to grapple with hordes of residents seeking dry ground.

Not everyone can afford to move, so whole communities  could end up with trapped populations that would be in a downward spiral. I have a hard time imagining what that future would be like."

By the end of the century, 6ft of sea level rise would redraw the coastline with familiar parts – such as southern Florida, chunks of North Carolina and Virginia, much of Boston, all but a sliver of New Orleans – missing. Warming temperatures will fuel monstrous hurricanes – like the devastating triumvirate of Irma, Maria and Harvey in 2017, followed by Florence this year – that will scatter survivors in jarring, uncertain  ways »

Gmac

You know what the funny thing is the replacement for Brett is a woman who's name escapes me but she makes Brett look like a liberal so the Dems might get what they want but not exactly.

sid waddell

Denial, in other words.

Yeah, "issues" like the right of white cops to murder unarmed black people, equivocating about Nazis, pretending climate change doesn't exist, denying women the right to choice, making sure it's legal to carry machine guns and for mentally ill people to buy them, denying people decent healthcare, including creationist nonsense on school curriculums, shitting all over the rights of gay and trans people, destroying any protection for workers, and making sure the rich take an ever increasing stranglehold of wealth while the rest rot.

Yeah, real legitimate "issues".

I love when people talk about the Republicans as if they're some sort of moderate, sensible political force as opposed to a bunch of mentalists. Such discussion is a great way of identifying who is a member of the reality-based community and who is an utter loo-la.

J70

Denial, in other words.

As opposed to the party of white grievance.

All those immigrants and black people changing the literal face of the country when no one asked the likes of Laura Ingraham and her fellow white, christian travelers.

Trump IS the GOP and the dominant force in conservatism. We will see how the conservative dissenters get on in a few weeks.

Chicago Hurling

Denial, in other words.

::)
Chicago -> Milwaukee -> Galway

Mayo for Sam

joemamas

Thanks Doc.

Have you even taken the time to review the "Allegations" of the second person, the fact that not one person from the dormitory can recall incident, including her best friend who she shared everything with, is disturbing to say the least.

seafoid

John Harwood
@JohnJHarwood
·
3h
when Trump said his administration may have accomplished more than any in American history, members of UN General Assembly laughed

J70

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2018, 07:21:30 PM
John Harwood
@JohnJHarwood
·
3h
when Trump said his administration may have accomplished more than any in American history, members of UN General Assembly laughed

Lincoln, FDR, Washington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, LBJ, Reagan, Eisenhower ... amateurs!

Gmac

Michael Avenatti seems to be the new face of the Democratic Party

heganboy

i think today we hit maximum irony.

in a speech to the United Nations, who has 4 founding principles including:

To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion;

the representative of 48% of voting Americans and 32% of the nations collective IQ said these 2 classics:

1)" America is governed by Americans. We reject the ideology of globalism, and we embrace the doctrine of patriotism."

and of course:

2)  the United States will provide no support in recognition to the International Criminal Court. As far as America is concerned, the ICC has no jurisdiction, no legitimacy, and no authority. The ICC claims near-universal jurisdiction over the citizens of every country, violating all principles of justice, fairness, and due process.

Now what you didn't know is that apparently there are a lot of mid western right wing voters hiding out in the UN which is why there was a pitch for the electoral votes of the UN council;

"In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country.

America's — so true. ( UN- Laughter.) Didn't expect that reaction, but that's okay. ( UN more laughter and applause.)"

(anything in quotes is from the official transcript)

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

screenexile

Then why was there none of this type of thing for Gorsuch's confirmation??

Kavanaugh isn't fit for the Supreme Court plain and simple!!