FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davegaasportsdesk

I hope that this player 'no-show' mess is sorted before the Macedonia game.
Join Talking GAA on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheWorldsTalkin

Mentalman

Quote from: davegaasportsdesk on May 25, 2011, 12:43:50 PM
I hope that this player 'no-show' mess is sorted before the Macedonia game.

Wigan and Martinez seem determined to drive a wedge in there, despite the die now being cast for young McCarthy. Time for some of his advisors to start communicating with the FAI directly as that relationship seems to have broken down. As for the Stoke boys I'd love to know what happened there. And Anthony Stokes? Tired after 20 minutes in a cup final that was already won? Not impressed.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Declan

If this happened under stan or Kerr etc they'd be crucified in the press. It seems that Trap can get away with anything because he reminds everyone of the scatty old grandad with the funny accent

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Declan on May 25, 2011, 01:29:19 PM
If this happened under stan or Kerr etc they'd be crucified in the press. It seems that Trap can get away with anything because he reminds everyone of the scatty old grandad with the funny accent

Well I know personally one of the players who was supposed to be a "no show" even was named in the team but his physio at his club phoned the FAI on Sunday...He has a niggling injury...Probably could have played but 6 weeks rest is advised by a professional physio to keep him right for next season and considering Stoke start back 2nd July was advised not to play!! It's Traps fault if the messages are not being relayed to him...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Mentalman

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on May 25, 2011, 01:36:03 PM

Well I know personally one of the players who was supposed to be a "no show" even was named in the team but his physio at his club phoned the FAI on Sunday...He has a niggling injury...Probably could have played but 6 weeks rest is advised by a professional physio to keep him right for next season and considering Stoke start back 2nd July was advised not to play!! It's Traps fault if the messages are not being relayed to him...

Not talking about this players case, but in general the whole thing seems so haphazard and unorganised, surely top priority from an FAI point of view would be knowing you had all your ducks in a row so to speak? Have contacted players, or at least make sure they know who to contact if they have to withdraw? I think the procedure is that the player's club physios and the Irish medical team have to liase on injuries, if not or any doubt and the player should be over here so the Irish team medics can make an assessment. Seems in the case of McCarthy the Irish medics don't accept the Wigan diagnosis but there was no firther reply from Wigan on the matter. It's a mess at the moment, not just for Ireland either by the sounds of it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/james-mccarthy-has-a-major-problem-with-giovanni-trapattoni-the-question-is-how-is-he-going-to-solve-it-2656594.html

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Mentalman on May 25, 2011, 01:45:07 PM

Not talking about this players case, but in general the whole thing seems so haphazard and unorganised, surely top priority from an FAI point of view would be knowing you had all your ducks in a row so to speak? Have contacted players, or at least make sure they know who to contact if they have to withdraw? I think the procedure is that the player's club physios and the Irish medical team have to liase on injuries, if not or any doubt and the player should be over here so the Irish team medics can make an assessment. Seems in the case of McCarthy the Irish medics don't accept the Wigan diagnosis but there was no firther reply from Wigan on the matter. It's a mess at the moment, not just for Ireland either by the sounds of it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/james-mccarthy-has-a-major-problem-with-giovanni-trapattoni-the-question-is-how-is-he-going-to-solve-it-2656594.html

Your Right that's the way it supposed to happen...The player i'm talking about missed last years FA Cup final through Injury...The FAI asked for scans which he gave them and they accepted that... I mean your not going to fake injury to put you out of the cup final...Seems like a right mess just hope its sorted soon!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Mentalman

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on May 25, 2011, 02:25:28 PM
Your Right that's the way it supposed to happen...The player i'm talking about missed last years FA Cup final through Injury...The FAI asked for scans which he gave them and they accepted that... I mean your not going to fake injury to put you out of the cup final...Seems like a right mess just hope its sorted soon!!

Jeez, sounds like a right flustercuck! Then again, FAI, should I be surprised?

Dinny Breen

There is just a generally apathy towards the Irish team, there are many reasons I would suggest for this

1. They are not successful and Irish fans love a good bandwagon
2. The EPL and UCL dwarfs all other sporting coverage from September to May, we are saturated with it, look at the Giggs superinjuction saga, there are more worry superinjunctions out there but this is the one the media run with because they know it will appeal to masses
3. Your local football fans, despite their best efforts can't identify with the Irish players and I would suggest that the Irish players stuggle to identify with the Irish fans
4. Socio ecomomic, traditionally the majority of soccer fans are from working class backgrounds who have been hit hard by the recession and simply can't afford it.

I'm not sure if it will ever recover from this apathy as the EPL and UCL seem to get bigger and bigger every year and certainly the knock out stages is the highest standard a professional soccer player can aspire to.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

I agree with the most of that Dinny plus - international soccer is BORING! Save for the finals of major tournaments (and many of the games in them are poor too) most of the games are like watching paint dry.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2011, 03:02:21 PM
I agree with the most of that Dinny plus - international soccer is BORING! Save for the finals of major tournaments (and many of the games in them are poor too) most of the games are like watching paint dry.

The entertainment value is dire I agree not helped by the conservative tactics of Trapp and Kerr and the no tactics from Stan, the qualifier night in Paris is one of the few times in recent memory that I have been excited by an Irish performance.
#newbridgeornowhere

AFS

Will Wilson be available for the Macedonia game? With no Dunne, probably no Clark, Kilbane nearly dead, and the terrifying reappearance of Paul McShane, he could well be needed.

Denn Forever

Cox has really made hay while the sun shone and Shane Long has lost out on many fronts

Keane and Cox to start for Ireland 03 JUN 2011 20:23

Robbie Keane has been declared fit to start for the Republic of Ireland's crucial Euro 2012 qualifier clash against Macedonia on Saturday. 
-
The striker suffered a groin injury at training in Malahide on Thursday but passed a fitness test today and will start up front alongside Simon Cox. 
-
In the absence of Sean St Ledger, Darren O'Dea is named at centre-half, where he will partner John O'Shea. Stephen Kelly and Kevin Kilbane are at left and right back, while Shay Given starts in goal. 
-
In midfield, Aiden McGeady and Stephen Hunt are named on the wings and Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews are in the centre with the team set up to play Trapattoni's familiar 4-4-2 formation. 
-
Ireland team to play Macedonia in Group B Euro 2012 qualifier, Skopje, Saturday, 8.30pm: 
-
Shay Given, Stephen Kelly, Darren O'Dea, John O'Shea, Kevin Kilbane; Aidan McGeady, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Stephen Hunt; Robbie Keane, Simon Cox 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 25, 2011, 03:50:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2011, 03:02:21 PM

The entertainment value is dire I agree not helped by the conservative tactics of Trapp and Kerr and the no tactics from Stan, the qualifier night in Paris is one of the few times in recent memory that I have been excited by an Irish performance.

Not just ROI the last World cup was awful & they used every excuse from the the ball,weather to the vuvuzela. saying all that i'm looking forward to the copa America in July as it should bring some excitement.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Galwaybhoy

When you mention Macedonia people always remember the beatings and the Orange jersey.  No one ever seems to remember our worst result against this side.  The 1-1 away draw back in 1999 that cost us automatic qualification to Euro 2000.  Goal headed in from a corner in the last seconds of the match.  One of my worse memories as an Irish fan.

Tonight I don't think we will win.  Could be the usual.  Take a 1-0 lead early on, concede soon after and then battle to a 1-1 draw.  A win would put us in a great position though.