Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 10, 2018, 07:02:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2018, 12:38:59 PM
Was never a time that I was at the club playing that we didnt want to be in the top divisons, I played on that team from the age of 16 through to 40 (odds), was never a moment that I can recall that we didn't try and win Div 2.. I simply wouldnt allow it nor hear any talk of it, we've winners all over that particular team, not in their DNA to lose a game on purpose.. I even joked with the player the other day that I'd need to get the hurl out again and get ready for the reserve league next season!

I get taking our eye off the ball but to be fair to the lads that are looking after the hurling side of things its not been down to a lack of effort on their behalf or the great support we have from parents.. we as a club just havent performed lately to a level in all codes at all levels and we need to address that.. I'm sure its something that the club is very much aware of..

For us, and I'm sure Rossa and the Johnnies are proud of, is having a team that is competing in both codes at the top table and pushing for titles at either code, think we were the last Belfast team to be at a final in both codes in the same year, lacking ambition isnt a problem... Getting the right balance? well we can't do it all..

I could lambast Cushendalls poor showing at under 21 and say you have taken the eye off the ball there but I know, eventually you'll get it right

We do alright as far as senior championships go MR2. In fact since we won our first in 81 we've won more than anyone else. It's nice to win a minor or an under 21 championship but it's a bonus. Bring 1 or 2 players through each year for senior is what you need to do. If you are honest MR2 there was a senior hurling championship in St. Galls over the last 10 years for sure. We robbed you over in Loughgiel a few years ago with an injury time goal in a semi final. Think it was the same year you beat Dunloy after a replay.

There was a team but that's how it goes, we got to Croke Park with the majority of that team to compete in 3 finals two senior football and one intermediate hurling. As a GAA club we've no issues, we facilitate scor ladies and football and hurling. If we solely concentrated on one sport who knows how well we'd have done with that group of players.

As for your achievements as a club well done, but I'd look at the likes of S'niel as an inspiration and a model of the GAA ethos, not all about winning. Hope you have a good season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2018, 08:37:45 PM
Was never a time that I was at the club playing that we didnt want to be in the top divisons, I played on that team from the age of 16 through to 40 (odds), was never a moment that I can recall that we didn't try and win Div 2.. I simply wouldnt allow it nor hear any talk of it, we've winners all over that particular team, not in their DNA to lose a game on purpose.. I even joked with the player the other day that I'd need to get the hurl out again and get ready for the reserve league next season!

I get taking our eye off the ball but to be fair to the lads that are looking after the hurling side of things its not been down to a lack of effort on their behalf or the great support we have from parents.. we as a club just havent performed lately to a level in all codes at all levels and we need to address that.. I'm sure its something that the club is very much aware of..

For us, and I'm sure Rossa and the Johnnies are proud of, is having a team that is competing in both codes at the top table and pushing for titles at either code, think we were the last Belfast team to be at a final in both codes in the same year, lacking ambition isnt a problem... Getting the right balance? well we can't do it all..

I could lambast Cushendalls poor showing at under 21 and say you have taken the eye off the ball there but I know, eventually you'll get it right

We do alright as far as senior championships go MR2. In fact since we won our first in 81 we've won more than anyone else. It's nice to win a minor or an under 21 championship but it's a bonus. Bring 1 or 2 players through each year for senior is what you need to do. If you are honest MR2 there was a senior hurling championship in St. Galls over the last 10 years for sure. We robbed you over in Loughgiel a few years ago with an injury time goal in a semi final. Think it was the same year you beat Dunloy after a replay.

There was a team but that's how it goes, we got to Croke Park with the majority of that team to compete in 3 finals two senior football and one intermediate hurling. As a GAA club we've no issues, we facilitate scor ladies and football and hurling. If we solely concentrated on one sport who knows how well we'd have done with that group of players.

As for your achievements as a club well done, but I'd look at the likes of S'niel as an inspiration and a model of the GAA ethos, not all about winning. Hope you have a good season

Nobody would ever have heard of Slaughtneil or known anything about them if they hadn't won things...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 11, 2018, 07:17:58 AM

Nobody would ever have heard of Slaughtneil or known anything about them if they hadn't won things...

Nobody? I'd know most clubs in Ulster and beyond, played against more teams who haven't won things than who have.. if it's the silverware you're after then you're missing the point..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2018, 08:47:32 AM

Nobody? I'd know most clubs in Ulster and beyond, played against more teams who haven't won things than who have.. if it's the silverware you're after then you're missing the point..

Isn't this competitive sport? Nobody leaves after getting beat in the championship and says "Never worry, theres a great crowd at the irish dancing in the club on a tuesday evening."

Jesusjones

That's Rossa down I'd say. Them and Ballygalget on 6, Ballycran on 8. Even if Rossa beat Ballycran in the final game they have a much worse scoring difference. We gave them an absolute stuffing today. Jim Close on as a sub for them. Some change from beating Dunloy in the first match of the season. What went wrong?

Jesusjones

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2018, 07:07:15 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on August 12, 2018, 06:51:39 PM
That's Rossa down I'd say. Them and Ballygalget on 6, Ballycran on 8. Even if Rossa beat Ballycran in the final game they have a much worse scoring difference. We gave them an absolute stuffing today. Jim Close on as a sub for them. Some change from beating Dunloy in the first match of the season. What went wrong?
Mickey Armstrong & Crick's McGuinness our injured.
Deaglan Murphy, James Connolly, Gerard Walsh (and someone else who I can't think of) hurling in America this summer.
We lose those players we're flukes. Sunk in both codes has been accepted for a few weeks now.

Not easy HS. Are they likely to be back for championship?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 12, 2018, 02:28:04 PM

Isn't this competitive sport? Nobody leaves after getting beat in the championship and says "Never worry, theres a great crowd at the irish dancing in the club on a tuesday evening."

Good post, you must be some craic after losing a championship game.. the lads that hurled before 81 must enjoy your view on things

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2018, 09:02:23 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on August 12, 2018, 02:28:04 PM

Good post, you must be some craic after losing a championship game.. the lads that hurled before 81 must enjoy your view on things

I'm sure they do likely share his view. You ever ask those men their thoughts?

Milltown Row2

No PJ, have you? You know they do share his winning means everything view?

Winning is great, the buzz around the club, parish is something else. But I get as good a buzz when the club runs their May day tournament of the Pat Sheehan hurling tournament. Or the Féile competition this year that I went to in Galway.

Seeing young lads develop, bond and generally and turn out to be great adults and clubmen.. I don't think any less of them if we lose

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2018, 11:55:37 PM

Winning is great, the buzz around the club, parish is something else. But I get as good a buzz when the club runs their May day tournament of the Pat Sheehan hurling tournament. Or the Féile competition this year that I went to in Galway.

Seeing young lads develop, bond and generally and turn out to be great adults and clubmen.. I don't think any less of them if we lose

The 4/5 that I've spoken to all said that winning the championship is the most important thing that the club can do. It begins and ends with that.

Everybody is different, I take pride and pleasure in seeing the youth develop.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 13, 2018, 09:33:43 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2018, 11:55:37 PM

The 4/5 that I've spoken to all said that winning the championship is the most important thing that the club can do. It begins and ends with that.

Everybody is different, I take pride and pleasure in seeing the youth develop.

I suppose there is the winning mentality that brings more people to the club that then will serve to keep the club pushing for championships..

On a different note, well done to our senior hurling team on their return to the top flight, with the start we had to the season they have managed to go unbeaten these last few games to achieve promotion, a lot of our lads will be nearing their twlight years so hopefully a big push to give it a lash next year will enable us to bring on some of our younger players and give them some experience against the big boys..

I'm hoping that we get a reserve team out, and I may get the chance to run out on to the pitch with the club colours on again!

Well done to the management also it must be said, juggling between both codes is never easy and they have managed to get a good balance and committment from the players at the right time of the year.. maybe a good run in championship well extend the season further

NAG1

Anyone make it to Ballycastle yesterday?

Were St Johns that good or were Ballycaslte that bad? Worrying result for the Town men.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: NAG1 on August 13, 2018, 11:40:55 AM
Anyone make it to Ballycastle yesterday?

Were St Johns that good or were Ballycaslte that bad? Worrying result for the Town men.

was down at it myself, was a poor enough game to be fair. Very flat game and not much excitement in it for a neutral.

the goals killed ballycastle, all 5 of them came from mistakes in defence. the 3rd one was criminal as they had just scored a penalty and then conceded it straight away all from a mistake allowing a ball to get that far into the box.

I expected St Johns to win but not by that much.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

championship starts this weekend for real now. any predicitions?
hurl like f**k boi!

Jesusjones

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 21, 2018, 08:14:34 AM
championship starts this weekend for real now. any predicitions?

Dunlop have been the stand out team all year. It's their championship to loose.