2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

McHugh was amazing this year. Kilkenny doesn't deserve one and Connolly, for all the hype, didn't score enough. Rock again is lucky to get one. I'd have McManus, Murphy or O'Donoghue before Connolly
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 03, 2016, 08:03:37 PM
McHugh was amazing this year. Kilkenny doesn't deserve one and Connolly, for all the hype, didn't score enough. Rock again is lucky to get one. I'd have McManus, Murphy or O'Donoghue before Connolly

O'Donoghue?

ZeitChrist

If we've time-warped back to 2014, then yes, O'Donoghue deserves to be in ahead of Connolly.

JoG2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 03, 2016, 06:31:14 PM
I didn't think Boyle was very good this year, he is quite rash and undisciplined. Durcan was much more deserving of one but obviously they decided against fitting sqare pegs into round holes this year.

Durcan has had a superb year.  Boyle,  as usual is a superb leader,  and for me the rock that holds Mayo back division together.  The likes of Durcan have license to work away knowing their general is in place.  I don't think his discipline let him down badly this year. The speed of the 2 final matches in particular and the intensity would lead to hard hits,  often on the edge, and some late,  but I don't think he was rash too often,  well  not to the detriment of his team. 

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 03, 2016, 04:10:27 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 03, 2016, 01:19:01 PM
Quote from: Declan on November 03, 2016, 11:06:22 AM
Boyle instead of O'Sullivan  :o :o :o. All Stars bit of a nonsense really but good talking points

As they say,  OSullivan couldn't lace Boyles boots.

O'Sullivan has four Senior All Ireland medals. How many has Boyle?

Sweet jesus,  playground talk! 

Re D Connolly, how any man can say he isn't deserving of a place in this year's all stars,  that is crazy talk!   Along with Keegan,  the 2 best players in the country,  R Mc Hugh just behind imo

ZeitChrist

Boyle plays on the edge, as many great players do. He often sets the tone of a match and is a great leader for Mayo. He was the one who stood up and drove them on in the qualifiers. So what if he's a bit fiery? Some of the very best players are. If we're going to start leaving players out based on temperment and discipline, then we might as well leave out Philly McMahon and Diarmuid Connolly while we're at it.

Maroon Manc

Did Durcan really have a superb year? I thought he was a bit disappointing until the 2 finals where he was outstanding.

Gold

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 03, 2016, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 03, 2016, 07:07:14 PM
I think they went for Boyle as he was the populist's choice since he was a name. However Durcan deserved it in front of Boyle and I'd have had O'sullivan ahead of Boyle also for that matter. Similar with McHugh (although he had a strong case for one), his family name done him no harm and Donnelly edged out Brennan/Acheson unfairly imo because of his name also. As with all subjective awards, there is political manoeuvring in these selections but I wouldn't take them too seriously. Look what happened McMahon last year when he should have lifted POTY but they give it to McCaffrey instead because of media image.

As for POTY I imagine Keegan will get it and deservedly so imo. However as with mcMahon last year, it wouldn't overly surprise me if it goes to the more clean cut image of Fenton.

Ryan McHugh was a cert for me, he was immense in pretty much every game he played this year and you like who Donegal played in Championship football this year - Fermanagh, Monaghan x2, Tyrone and Dublin. I think he should have his third all star in a row if things weren't as political as they are.

Donnelly is quite fortunate, he had guys like Acheson and Brennan up against him here from two lesser counties and Brennan in particular was superb this year.

McHugh was fantastic this year. I was at their match v Cork at Croker and he was the best player on the park by a country mile...unbeleivable. He also deserved 1 two years ago

Connelly is the best footballer in the country. Keegan stopped him illegally over 2 games this year...not a case of him not doing it in a big game...calling a spade a spade it was illegal and anti football.

Not sure about M Donnelly winning one at all

Dont agree with Fenton  at all for POTY
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

maigheo

You are right MM.Durcan was so so up until the finals .He was superb for Castlebar in there run to the club final so it is very hard to maintain that form thro the whole year.Thrilled that David Clarke got one as he has been a great servant to Mayo football and has  over come a lot of serious injuries.Hope he stays on for one more shot at the holy grail.

moysider

Clarkie the most popular All-Star ever in this nick of the woods. Everybody is delighted for him after all the setbacks that he has bounced back from.

Durcan should be a shoe in for YPOTY? I thought early in the year that he was putting in the shift but we were not using him. In the Galway game he gave and went several times but never got the ball back. It came together for the final. Incredible talent if he remains fit and well.

Delighted for Boyler again. One of the few that showed the necessary resolve in earlier games.

maigheo

To win YPOTY you have to be u 21.Diarmuid O Connor is certain to win that award

twohands!!!

I think they went for Boyle as he was the populist's choice since he was a name. However Durcan deserved it in front of Boyle and I'd have had O'sullivan ahead of Boyle also for that matter. Similar with McHugh (although he had a strong case for one), his family name done him no harm and Donnelly edged out Brennan/Acheson unfairly imo because of his name also. As with all subjective awards, there is political manoeuvring in these selections but I wouldn't take them too seriously. Look what happened McMahon last year when he should have lifted POTY but they give it to McCaffrey instead because of media image.

As for POTY I imagine Keegan will get it and deservedly so imo. However as with mcMahon last year, it wouldn't overly surprise me if it goes to the more clean cut image of Fenton.

Ryan McHugh was a cert for me, he was immense in pretty much every game he played this year and you like who Donegal played in Championship football this year - Fermanagh, Monaghan x2, Tyrone and Dublin. I think he should have his third all star in a row if things weren't as political as they are.

Donnelly is quite fortunate, he had guys like Acheson and Brennan up against him here from two lesser counties and Brennan in particular was superb this year.

Agree about Donnelly, Acheson had a good year and was unlucky that his worst game was the semi-final (not surprising with a broken bone in his arm) however Brennan was destroyed in both the games against Kerry.  He's had better years for Clare. Twas a shocking year over all in terms of midfielders.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is this the first case where an All-Star recipient (Clarke) was subbed/dropped before his final game in the AI (his Final appearance notwithstanding)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Probably. Hard to imagine anything that bizzare that happening anywhere outside Mayo.

ZeitChrist

Quote from: Gold on November 03, 2016, 08:59:44 PM

McHugh was fantastic this year. I was at their match v Cork at Croker and he was the best player on the park by a country mile...unbeleivable. He also deserved 1 two years ago

Connelly is the best footballer in the country. Keegan stopped him illegally over 2 games this year...not a case of him not doing it in a big game...calling a spade a spade it was illegal and anti football.

Not sure about M Donnelly winning one at all

Dont agree with Fenton  at all for POTY

Can we please stop perpetuating the myth that Diarmuid Connolly is some shrinking violet who doesn't like a physical battle and isn't regularly giving as good as he gets and more?

BennyCake

Quote from: moysider on November 03, 2016, 11:07:39 PM

Probably. Hard to imagine anything that bizzare that happening anywhere outside Mayo.

A bit like the apparition at Knock then.