PAY-FOR-PLAY

Started by vetoldthe, October 03, 2018, 07:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vetoldthe

IT'S COMING THE QUESTION IS WHEN ?

From the Bunker

Quote from: vetoldthe on October 03, 2018, 07:06:29 PM
IT'S COMING THE QUESTION IS WHEN ?

When this era of total collapse become untenable as an amateur game! Dublin are speeding up this process. It will be the end of the old game as we know/knew it.

lenny

LooseCannon

f**k OFF.

If players want to be paid, play rugby or soccer.

larryin89

I always ask this and nobody has ever answered me if it became pay for play , is it then a workplace , if so , how could you stop players transferring to top counties ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

thewobbler

Quote from: larryin89 on October 03, 2018, 08:34:54 PM
I always ask this and nobody has ever answered me if it became pay for play , is it then a workplace , if so , how could you stop players transferring to top counties ?

You couldn't.

So it would mean forming teams around the bigger population centres such as Belfast Black and Tans, Galway Sheepdogs or Fingal Ryanair Express. Except these teams would  have no stadiums, no facilities, no supporters, no youth teams, and no community backing. No local or regional businesses would back them for fear of a backlash in the communities. So their only potential income streams would be multinational companies (really, how many of them would be arsed - there's no junkets without stadiums, and no exposure without TV), and TV companies, who are hardly going to fall over themselves to get involved when the Irish population are more interested in watching their counties and clubs playing.

It's never going to happen.

Baile Brigín 2

Pay them at club level.

Rossfan

Presumably they'd have contracts with Central GAA and part if it would be playing for your nativehicle County?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

It's already happening in London and America...

caprea

Amazing that people still don't see that this is inevitable and is coming in about the next 10 years.

The only way it won't is that we have no elite form of the game and just play club.

People who generate income like the best county players get paid- that's just how the global labour economy works. GAA will eventually just catch up with what everyone else is doing.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: screenexile on October 03, 2018, 09:58:51 PM

Forget the inter-county game and make the showpiece of the sport the Inter-Firm games.

Interesting...

thewobbler

Players have been paid to play in America for 50 years. Why would it creep into Ireland now ?

Plus, bear this my mind. Same American benefactors are paying students and wannabe students to play for a summer. That's not a career. It's not professionalism.

APM

The GAA has a serious problem in that there are a huge number of members of the association that are only in it for what money they can get out of it.  There are also a huge number of egos around the country that are happy to try to pay for success for their club. Put these two trends together and you have an arms race.  The cost of running clubs and counties is getting out of hand and the money is being paid out for charlatans that provide services that in many cases aren't even necessary. 

In this context, why then would anyone be surprised that some players would want to be paid.  But imagine wanting to be paid for playing a game - what a joke?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 03, 2018, 11:27:55 PM

Players have been paid to play in America for 50 years. Why would it creep into Ireland now ?

Plus, bear this my mind. Same American benefactors are paying students and wannabe students to play for a summer. That's not a career. It's not professionalism.
Moving house to pay for a team you have no attachment to for money is about as textbook a definition of professionalism as you can get.

magpie seanie

Quote from: caprea on October 03, 2018, 10:58:23 PM
Amazing that people still don't see that this is inevitable and is coming in about the next 10 years.

The only way it won't is that we have no elite form of the game and just play club.

People who generate income like the best county players get paid- that's just how the global labour economy works. GAA will eventually just catch up with what everyone else is doing.

Especially when an organisation whose raison d'etre is this very matter not only exists but is funded by the GAA itself. It's a joke. Again the vast majority being sold down the river by the privileged few.