Galway v Monaghan, Super 8s Phase 3. 4/8/18. Pearse Stadium.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 25, 2018, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 04, 2018, 09:42:33 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 04, 2018, 09:29:17 PM
In well under the radar?
If you play the team Galway named this evening you need to get some form of a performance, Monaghan wiped us off the pitch without much fuss at all. If they actually didn't care about the semi final opponent then put out the squad players, it looks like Galway have picked up a few more injuries to compound the meltdown in performance.
The more I reflect on it the more tonight is a big blow to what had been a fairly productive year overall, we're back to a situation where you can't trust Galway to show up day in day out. A double score hammering at home? That's a disaster really.

The biggest worry is how they can switch in 7 days from a mindset where they are half arsed and barely trying a leg to one where they have to be ravenously hungry to compete with a Dublin. You'd prefer to see some sort of consistency of performance. They had it all year but never turned up today.

Yeah it's a huge worry alright, at the end of the day realistically no one is expecting them to knock off Dublin but you'd like to see a decent showing to set us up for next year.

Seafoid - I disagree entirely with you, that team went out to get a result, they didn't perform at all.

macdanger2

I normally like to see Connacht teams do well but was delighted for Monaghan today, would love to see ye win it

sid waddell

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 04, 2018, 09:05:11 PM

Galway support was the usual, not good enough really, people will have a cut at the team this evening, and rightly so, but that was an embarrassment for Galway fans, it was like a home match for Monaghan.

You'd forgive them with qualification already assured and an All-ireland hurling semi-final replay at 2pm tomorrow.

The Monaghan support was absolutely superb all through though. They made it feel like a home game for their team. It was a thoroughly enjoyable and novel occasion to be at and you couldn't but be delighted for them. I have a Monaghan family background too so I must admit to not being at all neutral.

Kerry will have a lot of years in the near future lording it over everybody else, so this was a great victory for the little guy.

johnpower

Well done Monaghan great result hope ye get to the final now

larryin89

As someone said above they were still in it at ht but imo they never looked eager , hungry . It was like go out and play and see what happens if Monaghan start to drive on let them off.

But I still don't get the logic in it unless they brought the thinking we'd be better off playing Dublin in a semi , it's the only thing I can come up with , then again maybe Galway are not near as good as we think , I honestly don't know .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2018, 09:43:55 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 04, 2018, 08:37:40 PM
Congrats to Monaghan they are an example to a lot of the smaller counties to what can be done if they have the right manager/management in place to get the very best out of their players. They were a Div 3 team when O'Rourke arrived and didn't know if they were coming or going some improvement in the last 5 years!

A huge amount of work has been done with underage coaching/development squads within the county over the last 10+ years. Most of the current panel aged mid-20s and under would have come up in that system.

Before 2013 we didn't win an Ulster minor since the 40s, and we've won 2 Ulster minors and an Ulster u21 since, so the work has certainly paid off.

Aren't the only county of a similar size that are doing that but you still need a very good manager backed by a good management team to bring that good work at underage into the senior county team and produce the progress that Monaghan have made in the last 5 years. I would hope that majority of Monaghan supporters appreciate the job that Malachy O'Rourke is doing as a manager as good as him don't come along very often.

straightred

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 04, 2018, 10:33:41 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2018, 09:43:55 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 04, 2018, 08:37:40 PM
Congrats to Monaghan they are an example to a lot of the smaller counties to what can be done if they have the right manager/management in place to get the very best out of their players. They were a Div 3 team when O'Rourke arrived and didn't know if they were coming or going some improvement in the last 5 years!

A huge amount of work has been done with underage coaching/development squads within the county over the last 10+ years. Most of the current panel aged mid-20s and under would have come up in that system.

Before 2013 we didn't win an Ulster minor since the 40s, and we've won 2 Ulster minors and an Ulster u21 since, so the work has certainly paid off.

Aren't the only county of a similar size that are doing that but you still need a very good manager backed by a good management team to bring that good work at underage into the senior county team and produce the progress that Monaghan have made in the last 5 years. I would hope that majority of Monaghan supporters appreciate the job that Malachy O'Rourke is doing as a manager as good as him don't come along very often.

I wondered would he walk away after the Dublin 1/4 last year. I honestly thought he had taken them as far as he could but to his credit he has brought a few new players into the team and they've pushed on

bennydorano

Jesus you'd think Monaghan have come from nowhere to prominence, they were always one of the top teams in Ulster in my youth and they've very rarely been cannon fodder for any length of time, they're a bit like Armagh in that they produce very good teams cyclically.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on August 04, 2018, 10:15:02 PM

Galway support was the usual, not good enough really, people will have a cut at the team this evening, and rightly so, but that was an embarrassment for Galway fans, it was like a home match for Monaghan.

You'd forgive them with qualification already assured and an All-ireland hurling semi-final replay at 2pm tomorrow.

The Monaghan support was absolutely superb all through though. They made it feel like a home game for their team. It was a thoroughly enjoyable and novel occasion to be at and you couldn't but be delighted for them. I have a Monaghan family background too so I must admit to not being at all neutral.

Kerry will have a lot of years in the near future lording it over everybody else, so this was a great victory for the little guy.
What makes you think so, sid? I can't see them ever having the financial,logistical and every other conceivable type of superiority over Dublin, including player numbers to be a dominant force ever again- an AI here and there is a possibility, in the near future anyway and the same goes for a few other counties but I'd say probably  3out of every 5 can be marked down to Dublin and that's a conservative estimate.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

I would love to see Monaghan making it to the AIF . Nudie never got that far.
A Monaghan all Ireland would be fantastic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 04, 2018, 10:42:34 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 04, 2018, 10:15:02 PM

What makes you think so, sid? I can't see them ever having the financial,logistical and every other conceivable type of superiority over Dublin, including player numbers to be a dominant force ever again- an AI here and there is a possibility, in the near future anyway and the same goes for a few other counties but I'd say probably  3out of every 5 can be marked down to Dublin and that's a conservative estimate.
Kerry have lots of players, lots of money, lots of talent, and lots of tradition. Lots and lots and lots of tradition, which means success is demanded. When success is demanded it tends to come.

They'll win the All-Ireland next year, and if they don't win it next year they'll win it the year after that. And then they'll win a load more.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 04, 2018, 10:09:24 PM
In well under the radar?
If you play the team Galway named this evening you need to get some form of a performance, Monaghan wiped us off the pitch without much fuss at all. If they actually didn't care about the semi final opponent then put out the squad players, it looks like Galway have picked up a few more injuries to compound the meltdown in performance.
The more I reflect on it the more tonight is a big blow to what had been a fairly productive year overall, we're back to a situation where you can't trust Galway to show up day in day out. A double score hammering at home? That's a disaster really.

The biggest worry is how they can switch in 7 days from a mindset where they are half arsed and barely trying a leg to one where they have to be ravenously hungry to compete with a Dublin. You'd prefer to see some sort of consistency of performance. They had it all year but never turned up today.

Yeah it's a huge worry alright, at the end of the day realistically no one is expecting them to knock off Dublin but you'd like to see a decent showing to set us up for next year.

Seafoid - I disagree entirely with you, that team went out to get a result, they didn't perform at all.
100% they did. A shite performance

sid waddell

I think Dublin are on the slide. I don't expect Galway to beat them but I expect a totally different Galway performance, the final outcome being something akin to the League final.

There's no individual Dublin forward you'd say is having a great year. It's the overall array of threats that will probably still get them there.

But I'd say there's arguably four Galway forwards that would get their place on the Dublin team at the moment, were they available to Dublin. Comer for certain. Probably Brannigan, Walsh and Burke too.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: galwayman on August 04, 2018, 11:31:06 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 04, 2018, 10:09:24 PM
In well under the radar?

100% they did. A shite performance

It's as if the two week break is in the wrong place. Galway management had a tricky match tonight, already qualified vs Monaghan fighting for their lives. If Galway had 2 week break now, they'd be perfectly  well-up for the semi.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sid waddell on August 04, 2018, 11:39:19 PM
I think Dublin are on the slide. I don't expect Galway to beat them but I expect a totally different Galway performance, the final outcome being something akin to the League final.

There's no individual Dublin forward you'd say is having a great year. It's the overall array of threats that will probably still get them there.

But I'd say there's arguably four Galway forwards that would get their place on the Dublin team at the moment, were they available to Dublin. Comer for certain. Probably Brannigan, Walsh and Burke too.

Costello,McManamon are two current sub forwards for Dublin at the moment and both are arguably better than any of those Galway forwards you named there.