11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:57:47 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 12, 2017, 11:54:41 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable highlights presentation on BBC WS there.

Presenter Helen Mark did a lovely job and I could just see her fitting in perfectly as presenter of something like the Balmoral festival - it's an absolute disgrace that it's not covered live anymore.

Orangemen are often unfairly characterised as dour and humourless, so it was interesting and perhaps surprising to see that all the banners on show had "LOL" written on them. They've certainly also showed that they are up to date with the age of social media too.

I see "KAT" was written on a lot of the bonfires yesterday and I can only agree with that sentiment - as a Dub, I think Kildare are t**sers too.

Surely there's obvious sponsorship tie in for Club Orange with the Twelfth. Or would that be corporatising things too much?

What a pity the Linfield-Celtic match couldn't have gone ahead tonight.

It would have been the perfect ending to a wonderful family day out.

I thought KAT meant the bonfires all came from Mooncoin.

Kilkenny is perhaps the most anglicised part of the south so I doubt they'd have pissed all over the bonfires the way they pissed on the powder in 1798.

It was lovely to see the young kids and toddlers all dressed up for the occasion.

Just think in 20 years' time, those youngsters will be the ones throwing bricks and getting water cannoned.

As they say, mol an oige agus tiocfaidh siad.

Hardy

Quote from: sid waddell on July 13, 2017, 12:05:31 AM

Presenter Helen Mark did a lovely job and I could just see her fitting in perfectly as presenter of something like the Balmoral festival - it's an absolute disgrace that it's not covered live anymore.

Orangemen are often unfairly characterised as dour and humourless, so it was interesting and perhaps surprising to see that all the banners on show had "LOL" written on them. They've certainly also showed that they are up to date with the age of social media too.

I see "KAT" was written on a lot of the bonfires yesterday and I can only agree with that sentiment - as a Dub, I think Kildare are t**sers too.

Surely there's obvious sponsorship tie in for Club Orange with the Twelfth. Or would that be corporatising things too much?

Kilkenny is perhaps the most anglicised part of the south so I doubt they'd have pissed all over the bonfires the way they pissed on the powder in 1798.

It was lovely to see the young kids and toddlers all dressed up for the occasion.

Just think in 20 years' time, those youngsters will be the ones throwing bricks and getting water cannoned.

As they say, mol an oige agus tiocfaidh siad.

It's perpetually on the lips of the young parents of Sandy Row.

The future is in good hands.

sid waddell

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2017, 11:47:05 PM
They marched through Kilrea today, the town 80% catholic, of course Mr bright didn't bother to check where the parades where at and it took 45 mins and a 10mile diversion to get to my house in the town, f**king crazy stuff. Now its a  tolerate town, never any hassle outside of the John Dallat thing, which did happen.  but this (3000+) marching when hardly any are from the town or anywhere f**king near it for that matter is just to annoy the locals. No other reason.

PS its f**king worked
As the legendary early 1990s indie band The Orangeheads sang, "It's a shame about Kilrea".

Kilkevan

Quote from: sid waddell on July 13, 2017, 12:05:31 AM

Nah, the Jackeens are at least doubly more English than we are.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 12, 2017, 10:13:07 PM
Spent the 12th playing golf with 15 prods in Castleblaney... none of them were at the bonies

No local golf courses open?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on July 13, 2017, 09:24:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 12, 2017, 10:13:07 PM
Spent the 12th playing golf with 15 prods in Castleblaney... none of them were at the bonies

No local golf courses open?

I wouldnt play golf (once or twice a year) so I wouldnt know to be honest, I's say the council courses would have been closed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Quote from: ned on July 13, 2017, 10:20:16 AM
https://wingsoverscotland.com/towers-of-hate/

They are so flag-obsessed that some of them are burning their own flags! Presumably they are the ones who couldn't muster the effort to go look for flags of Ireland, Palestine, Poland, etc.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2017, 10:47:24 AM

They are so flag-obsessed that some of them are burning their own flags! Presumably they are the ones who couldn't muster the effort to go look for flags of Ireland, Palestine, Poland, etc.

They take those flags down before setting light to the thing.

Walter Cronc

Good to get a scottish perspective on it.

I've always wondered how the Apprentice Boys parade in Derry always passes off more peacefully than Orange parades.

Better communication? Are the Apprentice Boys a diet version of the Orange men?

armaghniac

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 13, 2017, 10:57:53 AM

Good to get a scottish perspective on it.

I've always wondered how the Apprentice Boys parade in Derry always passes off more peacefully than Orange parades.

Better communication? Are the Apprentice Boys a diet version of the Orange men?

I think the communities in Derry have always had more communication than in Belfast.
But Derry illustrates the situation very well. The Apprentice Boys didn't really have the luxury of refusing to deal, and this puts the more pragmatic leaders to the fore. The residents know that in the 21st century that the Apprentice Boys are an anachronism, and no longer able to boss them around, so the deal was a reasonable one, so the parades begin to become more like Rossknowlagh and not appealing to coat trailers.

In Belfast, Portadown etc the Orangemen are still trying to show who is boss and the residents are intimidated by that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kilkevan

Quote from: Hardy on July 13, 2017, 10:47:24 AM

I thought that after seeing the comment about a bonfire with all 32 county flags of Ireland on it; effectively they were burning the flag of their home.

north_antrim_hound

In fairness I don't see one flag of the Vatican state
I wonder is it because they don't know the Vatican is a separate country or are they conciesus of upsetting the catholic community
I heard Lichtenstein are have been on to the orange lodge inquiring as to why their flag has not been included in the celebrations
They feel that neutrality in the world wars and reluctance to conform with any confrontational ideology has worked against them in flag selection for these festivities
They are aware that even Longford have made it on to the " burn them all " list
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Main Street

Some of those pallet constructions are impressive.

It's ironic that the probability factor of King Billy and his wife both being bisexual, is about a 90% certainty.