Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrdub

I'm well impressed BH, keep doing what you're doing. Good luck

Ball Hopper

Completed chemo 2 from Tuesday to Thursday last.  In an odd coincidence, the nurse administering my chemo infusion also took care of some of my wife's infusions for breast cancer in 2002...over 17 years ago.  Of course, they talked away about their lives since then for ages while I just lay there wondering when I'd get any attention...normal enough when the women start talking, I suppose, and she says no different when us men start on about GAA and sports in general.  Had to concede that point in fairness.  Wife made a full recovery, by the way.  Her experience has made us all the more knowledgeable about the expectations for my treatment, although the medics say things have improved a lot in treatments and side effect management over the last 10 years even.

Cold sensitivity set in earlier this time, on Weds morning, but I was better able to cope - soak fingers in warm water for up to 10 mins gave me relief for several hours.  A little bit of mouth tenderness didn't really develop into anything (kept all tasting faculties and appetite stayed good).

Glucose levels have returned to near normal with use of a zero-sugar diet.  No potatoes, bread, pasta or carbs in general.  High protein and leafy green veg content - although I must admit to planning one "non-diet" dinner each week which I look forward to almost like a child does Christmas.  No alcohol, except for the "non-diet" dinner a few days before each chemo where I hope to have a glass of red or two, but if the mouth is sensitive, the alcohol will only make it worse.  I hope to enjoy such a meal prior to the next few sessions at least, although an interim diet of chicken, pork or white fish (all lightly seasoned) isn't exactly a hardship either.

Fatigue has not hit me yet, although I'm deliberately going to bed earlier every night (9:30pm last night) and getting up maybe 2 hours later.  So far no inclination for an afternoon nap, but that could all change tomorrow for a few days.  I won't fight it if that's what the body needs.

White blood cell count (specifically neurophils) was approaching the low threshold on Tuesday - firstly, that's a good sign that the chemo drugs are actually working; but not so good in that I may need an injection boost of some sort next week to ward off infections.

Weight stayed the same, more or less, and no other side effects appeared as of yet.  Meet oncologist on Weds for a review and on to chemo 3 the following week, Tues 21 Jan.

All in all, I'm well pleased with the way things are going...the chemo drugs are working by killing all the fast-dividing cells, including the cancer cells hopefully, and I'm not suffering greatly in any way from side effects as of yet...that will probably change with each session as I expect existing side effects to appear earlier, be harsher and last longer while some new side effects will make their presence known in some uncomfortable manner.

2 out of 8 sessions complete now...25% is a quarter of the way home.  My work from home is unfortunately based in the very early morning time-frame, so that has been neglected a bit.  I might try and get to some this week with even earlier bedtimes.

Will update again next Sunday 19th...thanks again for all the good wishes and it's nice to see this thread getting more reads than the Munster Club Championship one I start every year!!!  Hoping those who made a commitment for colonoscopy or any other medical appointments in 2020 have started to follow through with scheduling.

Cheers for now...

Targetman

Full of admiration for you BH, stay strong and good luck!!

bannside

Lar Naparka

Keep the faith, BH!
You are an inspiration for your fellow board members and, without a doubt, all are wishing you well.
Rath Dé ort. May God bless you and yours.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ball Hopper

Early update...

Met oncologist on Weds last for a review – and she is very pleased with the tolerance I'm showing to the chemo drugs.  Weight down around 6 lbs/3 kg since 9 January.  She says the weight loss is mostly due to diet improvement and less due to chemo, which is good.  I'm still 10-15 lbs/5-7 kg above what I think is my "fighting" weight, but charts say I should be aiming to lose double that – we should all weigh what we were at 18 years of age...no chance of that happening.

All the side effects I experienced were gone by Tuesday last – 7 days after the chemo session - and I'm able to focus on building up my strength to as high a level as possible for the next session.  That's my overall goal – once a session is completed, I've 11 days to get over the side effects and get as well as I can get by avoiding illness and having great nutrition, sleep and exercise.  Mind you, the exercise is rather minimal but even the smallest bit helps both the nutrition (hunger) and sleep.

2 out of 8 sessions complete now...25% is a quarter of the way home.  I'm feeling great and looking forward to a quiet weekend at home with the family.

Chemo 3 set for next Tuesday 21 January...bring it on!!!

GJL

Your posts are inspirational BH. The very best of luck in your remaining treatment.

Ball Hopper

26 Jan Update.  Things going very well for me, thankfully.

Completed chemo 3 from 21-23 January.   The weight I lost in first week after chemo 2 was regained 100% by chemo 3...to the exact ounce.  Very pleased with that – being as strong as possible for the next round is my goal once I walk out of a session.

Cold sensitivity set in earlier this time with my fingers tingling as soon as I got home.  Better management helped me overcome it – and the toes tingling for most of the following day – warm water soaking for the fingers several times a day and wearing gloves fulltime along with super warm socks.

A little bit of mouth tenderness again, but relatively mild – plenty of rinsing the mouth with salt/baking soda in warm water, along with a soft toothbrush, several times each day helped.  Spicy seasoning, no matter how little, didn't agree with my mouth this time, so that's gone.  However, appetite stayed good throughout and using some sugar-free salad dressings in place of seasoning helped taste and enjoyment.

Fatigue did not hit me either on this session.  Again, going to bed earlier every night (9:30pm or so) was a big help.  Glucose levels have returned to near normal with use of a zero-sugar diet. 
White blood cell count (specifically neutrophils) was approaching the low threshold on chemo 2 – back to normal by chemo 3 test.  Seems the body just kicked into action and got the bone marrow working harder.  Platelet count (important for blood clotting) was below normal this time – not a problem per staff, but will closely monitor.

It's amazing to me to see what I call the traditional side effects of chemo – namely, 100% hair loss and being on one's knees in the bathroom with nausea and vomiting for 4 days – being completely absent in my case.  Of course, the combinations of medications get the plaudits here due to great research work in these fields.

Avoiding infection is also a high priority and apart from interacting with the public and avoiding their bugs and viruses during flu season, there are a few other routes of infection that are worth mentioning here that I hadn't really thought about.  Specifically, infection through open wounds ranks highly.  In this regard, it is advisable to use an electric razor (or grow a beard) to eliminate cuts and nicks.   Also, have properly sharpened knives in the kitchen (putting extra pressure on dull knives causes most kitchen cuts) ...or have someone else do the veggie chopping duties.  Always cut away from the body (especially if opening a box with a blade of some sort).  Of course, one must wear task appropriate gloves when working with tools – even the entry level safety guy at work knows that.

My oncologist decided to cancel the "between sessions" review as she is very pleased with the tolerance that I'm showing to the chemo drugs and the ability to regain 100% of the weight loss.   

Again, I'm very pleased with the way things are going...the chemo drugs are working and I'm not suffering greatly in any way from the side effects. 

Finished Billions season 4 and Shetland season 5 this week...not sure what is in the pipeline for next week's viewing, although the Gaelic Football and Hurling being back on GAAGO will certainly help fill a dreary winter's night or two...I think 5 games will be available on demand from 25/26 Jan games.

3 out of 8 sessions complete now...one more (4-6 Feb) and I'm halfway there!

Thanks again for all the support and good wishes. 

macdanger2

Tony Baloney

That's great news BH. Apart from one big factor, you could nearly say you were living the dream with all this lying about watching tv  ;D

I hope things keep going the same way for you. 💪

BennyCake

Glad to hear things are going well, BH. You're an inspiration.

GiveItToTheShooters

All the best BH, your courage and mindset are inspirational. Keep er lit

whitey

You are an inspiration.....keep her lit buck

cadhlancian

Good man BH , great attitude, you'll be back to full health in no time 🙏

Tyrdub