The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Ringrose is 1st choice when fit and available.
#newbridgeornowhere

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 10:07:15 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 14, 2018, 09:56:47 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 08:38:23 AM
I thought it was going to be a clash of 2 unbeaten sides for the prize of the Grand Slam. Then England went and lost to Scotland. Eddie J said he knew what was wrong . Then they lost to France 

I read somewhere that England had 15 injuries going in to the tournament. . I think something is not right with England. So am tentatively hopeful for the right result. But I remember 2003

They may have injuries but those are squad players bar Youngs
The squad is important given the injury rate. Henshaw and van der Flier didn't make it to the end of the tournament . Ringrose is third choice in his position but he lined out the other day.

Neither did the other big centre Chris Farrell from the north who plays for Munster.

Is Ultan Dillane back in the reckoning?

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 10:14:58 AM
Fair enough but first choice players aren't always fit, available or in form.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Dillane is in the squad, would have featured against Italy except for the death of his mother. Just another example of the depth Schmidt is creating:- Henderson 26, Dillane 24, Ryan 21. It's why Donnacha Ryan 34 didn't get a national contract.
#newbridgeornowhere

square_ball

Yeah I'd agree with that too. Although the way rugby is played now it's impossible to pick a preferred first choice 15 with the amount of injuries. The squad depth at the moment is incredible bar the obvious drop in quality in replacements at 9 & 10 (only because they are amongst the worlds best in their position)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 10:28:12 AM
Dillane is in the squad, would have featured against Italy except for the death of his mother. Just another example of the depth Schmidt is creating:- Henderson 26, Dillane 24, Ryan 21. It's why Donnacha Ryan 34 didn't get a national contract.

Schmidt is not making the players. The provinces are. If anything he was too slow to blood lads but thankfully has learned the lesson. The depth in Irish rugby at the moment is significant.

Ryan was offered a contract but it was for buttons. You'd have to question Best getting one at 35 by that rationale.

AZOffaly

But Heaslip did, and now he's retired while Donnacha is flying in France. And we have as many/more back rows and potential 8s as we have locks.

seafoid

Quote from: square_ball on March 14, 2018, 10:32:30 AM

Yeah I'd agree with that too. Although the way rugby is played now it's impossible to pick a preferred first choice 15 with the amount of injuries. The squad depth at the moment is incredible bar the obvious drop in quality in replacements at 9 & 10 (only because they are amongst the worlds best in their position)
It's very hard to combine being a top.shagger with unerring penalty kicking.

seafoid

Ireland seem to be in a good positon in terms of squad depth ahead of the World Cup.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 14, 2018, 10:36:03 AM

Schmidt is not making the players. The provinces are. If anything he was too slow to blood lads but thankfully has learned the lesson. The depth in Irish rugby at the moment is significant.

Ryan was offered a contract but it was for buttons. You'd have to question Best getting one at 35 by that rationale.

Probably because of his level headed approach to leading/organising the team rather than being a world leading hooker.  The other options for captain are not great.  Sexton is not a captain he fails to see the bigger picture in needing to ensure others are just as important as him. Note how Wales scored immediately after he stood arguing with the referee about a Welsh HIA instead of organising his team to be ready for the next attack.  Murray seems to be the next choice when Sexton goes off and while less self absorbed than Sexton he is not the answer. 

seafoid

The rugby community is really getting behind Doddie Weir who has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease

https://doddiegump.com

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 10:56:10 AM
The rugby community is really getting behind Doddie Weir who has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease

https://doddiegump.com

It's a very sad story

Dinny Breen

Quote from: square_ball on March 14, 2018, 10:32:30 AM

The drop off from Murray to Marmion is incredible and I like Marmion, wouldn't be a fan of McGrath. Murray is player of the tournament for me.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 10:40:59 AM

But Heaslip did, and now he's retired while Donnacha is flying in France. And we have as many/more back rows and potential 8s as we have locks.

Heaslip was World Class, apples and oranges.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 14, 2018, 11:00:31 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 10:40:59 AM

Heaslip was World Class, apples and oranges.

*was. He wasn't world class when they gave him the new contract, and there were several lads knocking on the door in the  back row. Donnacha Ryan was a very important contributor to Ireland and Munster, and they let him walk.

I don't think it's Leinster bias by the way, I just think it was a poor business decision at that time.