Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

This was said in half a very small article in the corner of a page of The Star lads so I wouldn't give it too much heed..

Lawrence of Knockbride

Andrews takes sole charge of Cavan
11 July 2011

Cavan boss Val AndrewsCavan have confirmed that Val Andrews will be their sole senior football manager for next season, with Terry Hyland occupying a selector role.

Andrews and Hyland were appointed as joint-managers of the Breffni County in September of last year and oversaw a disappointing campaign in 2011 in which they failed to challenge for promotion in Division Three of the NFL and suffered heavy home defeats to Donegal and Longford in the championship.

Hyland was in charge of the county's Under 21 footballers which captured an Ulster title back in March, and also reached the All-Ireland final against Galway at Croke Park, but has decided to hand the senior reins over to his Ballymun counterpart.

This Sunday will see Cavan bid for another provincial crown when they take on Armagh in the ESB Ulster Minor Football Championship final at St Tiernach's Park, Clones (throw-in 2.00pm).

put-it-up-again

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 11, 2011, 01:45:37 PM
Andrews takes sole charge of Cavan
11 July 2011

Cavan boss Val AndrewsCavan have confirmed that Val Andrews will be their sole senior football manager for next season, with Terry Hyland occupying a selector role.

Andrews and Hyland were appointed as joint-managers of the Breffni County in September of last year and oversaw a disappointing campaign in 2011 in which they failed to challenge for promotion in Division Three of the NFL and suffered heavy home defeats to Donegal and Longford in the championship.

Hyland was in charge of the county's Under 21 footballers which captured an Ulster title back in March, and also reached the All-Ireland final against Galway at Croke Park, but has decided to hand the senior reins over to his Ballymun counterpart.

This Sunday will see Cavan bid for another provincial crown when they take on Armagh in the ESB Ulster Minor Football Championship final at St Tiernach's Park, Clones (throw-in 2.00pm).

Anyone know the logic behind the decision?

Why not just say nothing and let them at it. Why the need to tell the press about the change? Doesn't make sense to me

Westside

I would imagine this will make very little difference.. I think they are right to tell the media, better to clarify things now than the word coming from the camp that Val is in sole charge and then have supporters questioning why we weren't told, wondering if there was a row etc..

The squad named at the end of the Club Championship will tell a tale I think.. If we go through the same thing as previous years with players not committing (eg James Reilly in Carr's 2nd year in charge) then we have a big problem. It's time to drive on and improve and not moan about the man in charge.

rodney trotter

James Reilly didn't commit as he was building his own house at the time not because he didn't want to commit.. If a player cant commit because of work or college there is nothing wrong with that. Playing for cavan wont pay the bills

Westside

Fair enough I was only using that as an example I thought he didn't commit because of Carr but you get my point. If the players don't have confidence in Val we're going nowhere.

rodney trotter

Well i heard 1 or 2 of this years panel wont be playing under val next year so i don't know if it was a great thing to make him manager, a new selector maybe would have been good.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 11, 2011, 11:06:39 PM
Well i heard 1 or 2 of this years panel wont be playing under val next year so i don't know if it was a great thing to make him manager, a new selector maybe would have been good.

I would be afraid that next year could be another poor year. 

PhilsJemmysField

Latest email sent out by secretary this morning:

Bit harsh on clubs without minors but if you did have a good minor or two. You could see why a club would want it.

As you are aware the county minors are NOT allowed to play club championship football on the weekend 22nd - 24th July 2011.

The fixtures will go ahead as fixed but if clubs do not want to play without their county minors they can have their game postponed until Thursday 11th August 2011.  Your club should send an email to me by Friday evening next by 5pm and then I will send out a revised fixture list on Friday for the Championship.  Also at the CCC meeting next Monday night the league fixtures that is fixed for the 13th August will be reviewed.

ONLY CLUBS WITH COUNTY MINORS HAVE THE OPTION OF POSTPONING THE FIXTURES'

The fixtures for bank holiday weekend will also be reviewed when the fixture for the All Ireland Quarter Final which will include Cavan Minors is made.

Ollie

Good discussion between Tommy Carr, Val Andrews and Malachy Clerkin. They don't directly talk about Cavan but I was encouraged what Val had to say throughout the conversation. It shows he's a realist and not someone clutching on to hopes and dreams. http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/sport/the-panel-on-newstalk-sport-saturday-9th-july/ 

footy15

Good luck on Sunday, Bring home the cup!!!!!!!!!

footy15

Going to be an exciting end to the league , with Mountnugent holding onto top  spot

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

Whispers coming from the camp that Bouchier is injured and won't be fit to play Sunday.. That's a blow..

mylestheslasher

Good luck to the the minors, I am sure they will do themselves and the county proud and i intend to be there to cheer them on.